Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 180 of 327 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
Jerry Johnson is the MAN
I recently purchased my warranty through Jerry and His quote and help made my decision to go for the Platinum 0 deductible 8 year 75000 mile warranty. I keep my cars a long time and don't want to run into any nasty surprises as soon as the factory 3 year 36000 mile warranty expires. Jerry Johnson, Midwest Toyota Midwest Superstore, Hutchinson, Ks 67502, Phone 800-530-5789, Cell 620-664-8844, Email [email protected]
make it easy on yourself talk to him get a quote and you will have peace of mind well worth the money.
+1 :thumbsup: I'd have to say Jerry is the most popular with our TN members.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To anyone who has purchased an extended warranty at a dealership...you are paying twice the price you should have. Buy the service contract at your credit union and save, save, save.

·
Registered
Venza
156 Posts
Hi all,

Jan 2 2009, purchased $38,820 sticker V6 FWD + other options for (ended up being $39.897) $32.560 incl taxes (too darned early to get the taxes refunded from the FEDS from the FEB 17 law), but did get good discount (first Venza dealer sold). Then the pitch for the Platinum warranty - asked $2400 for 7 yr, 100K, bought for $1600. Then found Jerry, so turned it in to Toyota and got back $1519 as it is indeed prorated from time of purchase. Just called Jerry and got 8 yr 100K for $1039. Good in Canada as well, but NOT in Mexico, nor Europe so do not ship your car there for traveling purposes! Re-pocketed $500+.

As to why the EW purchase? This isn't your Dad's Camaro of 1969. IF something goes bad, you can count on $100+/hr labor and prices for the parts that will think you have been hit by a sledge hammer... One whack after the factory warranty ends over the next 5 years will be at least a break even or better, and then a profit. Additionally, even during the factory coverage, a rental car is provided, if over 150 miles from home, hotel and expenses up to five days are given as well, up to a max of something like $100/day for five days, and other minor perks under the Platinum warranty, NOT included under the factory warranty.

I hope I do not need it since every failure is an inconvenience, but it does add some piece of mind as to costs out of pocket. It is the only EW I have ever purchased as I have always believed Consumer Reports is correct in that it does not usually pay off for hardly any purchase, however, per my master mechanic for my 3 1986 SAABS (whom also works on MB, Porsche, Volvo and BMW) these new cars are becoming nightmares for them due to the electronics such as throttle by wire, CANBUS systems so interlocked with everything else in the car, shot-gun techniques for repair is becoming the norm and that only serves to raise the effort and parts prices immensely. Good luck to those without one.

One final comment, selling the car with a one-time EW transfer (for $50.00) to the new Owner will help sell it at a higher price per Edmunds and other noted market analysts.

MikeP

·
Registered
2021 Venza & '05 Rav
40 Posts
How much is "peace of mind worth" ???

I didn't believe in extended warranties either until I looked at the replacement parts cost. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi all,

... per my master mechanic for my 3 1986 SAABS (whom also works on MB, Porsche, Volvo and BMW) these new cars are becoming nightmares
After having owned SAABs,and any of the other cars you mentined, I don't blame you for feeling the need to purchase the extended warranty! :lol:

All kidding aside, it is really a personal decision to make, and there are alot of things to consider when making this decision. Personally, I side with Consumer Reports..I have NEVER purchased an extended warranty, and have never been sorry, in over 40 years of car ownership. (Well, I take that back.. I bought a used 1981 VW Rabbit with gasoline engine... American built... from a VW dealer in 1982. After they hit what appeared to be their bottm line, I got them to include the EW into the purchase price..never had an occasion to use that warranty, however). I'm not saying it isn't the right thing to do for some folks. I usually keep my cars 3-4 years, and put on 15,000-20,000 miles per year. For me, the EW doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
Venza
156 Posts
jbollt-

In your case I would most certainly agree you would never need an EW. These policies are not intended for peeps that dispose of products near the end of or shortly thereafter the warranty expires.

I personally can not afford the large waste of cash buying new every couple of years so tend to keep my larger items a long time (i.e. no $200 couches). There is a difference between a $1400 TV and a $32,000 car AFAIAC - I can afford to throw away $1400 but I do find repair pricing a bit on the high side for even minor things on modern vehicles.

I certainly hope I will not need to use it as that more than likely will induce arguing with a Service Manager as some of my previous warranty claims have required of me, but wife feels better about the paper in hand and having a close attorney friend. I, for one, PLAN on keeping my V until it drops dead from rust or the EW runs out and I find it too costly to repair failed parts.

MikieP

Reactions: Slvregl

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pls. help a potential Venza owner. I'm considering a 2009 Venza awd V6. Car has 23,000 miles. This car is at Carmax. My credit union has a 4 yr (from today)/100K odometer reading $ 0 deductible warranty for $ 1100. Plan on keeping car a long time. C Union said it's accepted anywhere that takes visa and has a short list of what's not covered. Would appreciate feedback.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Pls. help a potential Venza owner. I'm considering a 2009 Venza awd V6. Car has 23,000 miles. This car is at Carmax. My credit union has a 4 yr (from today)/100K odometer reading $ 0 deductible warranty for $ 1100. Plan on keeping car a long time. C Union said it's accepted anywhere that takes visa and has a short list of what's not covered. Would appreciate feedback.
Stick with a real Toyota policy. 3rd party insurers can drag their heals when it comes to claims sometimes several days. Assuming you have your car serviced at a Toyota dealer the service insurance claims are very very fast for Toyota policies.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Get a second opinion from Jerry! You might be able to get a real Toyota warranty for less than your CU is offering.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Get a second opinion from Jerry! You might be able to get a real Toyota warranty for less than your CU is offering.

Thanks for the QUICK responses. Just found Jerry's phone # and left him a message. The Venza seems to be nice. Drove white/tan leather version with 20"'ers (I guess they're all 20's)..... not bad at all. Impressive, actually. Smooth, quiet, roomy and plenty powerful.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2021 Venza & '05 Rav
40 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
What about the Toyota 7/100,000 powertrain warranty ? This is offered on another '09 Venza that is certified; I assume this is the normal certified warranty. Dealer said deductible is $50. Would appreciate any comments. Just for more info....this car has 6800 miles, V6, 2wd, leather, convenience package, blizzard color, and has Michelins. Out the door price = $25,744. Price looks ok... looking up values now.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
This is the Toyota CPO (certified Pre-owned) package offerd by dealers that is bundeld into the offered price. It's power-train only...... the one we got with the '06 Solara we bought in May was a $0 deductible.... remember, all used Toyotas have the 5-yr/60k factory warranty that is still in effect for second owner. Os th car you are looking at is still under factory warranty. So you are getting the CPO for the additional 40K miles or 2 extra years. CPO is best for used toyotas over 60k miles and several years left...... where you can't buy the extended warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Are these warranty's available in Canada? Here the 84month/160,000km is $2100 and there is no movement. :(
Hi all,

I just bought a 2010 Venza in Canada with a Canadian VIN Number. I was speaking to a US dealer and he said that he can sell ECP to Canadian residents on Canadian VIN numbers but after one year. can i get a response from any Canadian residents from Ontario/Toronto Montreal area or else where who have bought Toyota in Canada that was manufactured for Canadian markets and have bought ECP from a Us dealer, and if it is working o.k. for them in terms of claims etc even though they are still living in Canada. You could also respond me at [email protected].

I would like to chat with you offline on this issue via email or phone.

Thanks

Proud Venza

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

I just bought a 2010 Venza in Canada with a Canadian VIN Number. I was speaking to a US dealer and he said that he can sell ECP to Canadian residents on Canadian VIN numbers but after one year. can i get a response from any Canadian residents from Ontario/Toronto Montreal area or else where who have bought Toyota in Canada that was manufactured for Canadian markets and have bought ECP from a Us dealer, and if it is working o.k. for them in terms of claims etc even though they are still living in Canada. You could also respond me at [email protected].

I would like to chat with you offline on this issue via email or phone.

Thanks

Proud Venza

161 - 180 of 327 Posts