Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading over information and saw for hondas you can buy extended top mounts for your struts that raise the strut around 1.5" to try to give your suspension the same amount of travel as factory even though the car is lowered.

Now on to my question, Has anyone in the toyota world extended the top strut mounts? I haven't been able to even look at my car to see if it's even possible, I've been sick the past few days.

Here is a link on honda tech to DIY top mount extension, the first page explains it but the pictures were removed, the second link has pictures.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=469485

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=469485&page=12

What do you guys think? Is it possible on an AE92?

·
Registered
1992 Celica GT
1,290 Posts
I wouldn't think so, there isn't too much between the strut mounts and the hood in the front.

Interesting idea though

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
yeah, you can do the same thing with RX-7s.

http://racingbeat.com/resultset.asp?PartNumber=14000

hondas don't have bearings in their strut top mounts because they have double wishbone suspenison in the front (so the strut doesn't turn with the wheel). With a standard McPherson strut like the corolla has I probably wouldn't attempt it unless you could find a premade unit like the one linked above.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about changing the lower wishbone where the strut mounts to allow the strut to slide down it around 1.5" ? They also do this on hondas, but once again, I havent studied my car well enough to know what is, or isn't possible.

With as low as my car is, the koni struts would be bottoming out also I'm sure, so I might as well get factory replacements or AGXs if its just going to be at the bottom anyway.

Also, in another post I asked if anyone knew where I could figure out what my spring rates are. They are Weapon R pro circuit coilover sleeves. I bought them about 2 years ago when weapon R had a listing for the AE92, but now i Can't really find any information on them

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't think so, there isn't too much between the strut mounts and the hood in the front.

Interesting idea though
I'm not too worried about hood clearance, My hood is spaced up about a 1/4 of an inch in the rear and I would cut the inner brace on the hood so im sure I could fit at least a 1 to 1.5" extension.

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
What about changing the lower wishbone where the strut mounts to allow the strut to slide down it around 1.5" ? They also do this on hondas, but once again, I havent studied my car well enough to know what is, or isn't possible.

With as low as my car is, the koni struts would be bottoming out also I'm sure, so I might as well get factory replacements or AGXs if its just going to be at the bottom anyway.

Also, in another post I asked if anyone knew where I could figure out what my spring rates are. They are Weapon R pro circuit coilover sleeves. I bought them about 2 years ago when weapon R had a listing for the AE92, but now i Can't really find any information on them
again, we have totally different suspensions than hondas. the strut does not mount to the lower control arm, it mounts directly to the hub. you might be able to do this, but I wouldn't, it would probably cause all sorts of structural problems. and then you're suspension would break and you would die. the end.

koni yellows are made to be lowered a lot. they will not bottom out and blow with a standard-ish 2" drop. if it's lowered more than that, just adjust the spring pirches to make the springs stiffer if you need to.

I've never seen anyone with those coilovers, I would just email them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts