Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 Camry SE V6, and I just signed up for an ezpass, and was told I would need an external tag. It is a black rectangular box that is supposed to be mounted on the front license plate…it looks really silly. (The internal tag usually place on the windshield behind the rear view mirror)
Does any know if the internal tags work in the 05 Camry? And if not can the external tag be place to the rear license plate instead of the front one?
*ezpass for NJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on the web site where i signed up for the NJ ezpass, it mentioned the camry's windshields may have the following:-

......contain metal in the glass(metal oxide) that prevents the E-ZPass tag from being read properly. Windshields with solar ray glass, solar tint, heated or heat reflective windshields, and insulated or Insta-Clear glass may also prevent the tag from being read properly....and windshields with in glass antena may affect the ezpass reading......

so has any one with an 04/05 camry with navigation system have any trouble with an ezpass...?

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Maybe you can put it behind the grill on the front of your car. Wouldn't that work 2?
Or is that illegal?

STEALTH EZ=Pass.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am not too sure, cause in the manual which came with the ezpass tag said to put it on th 'front only' and when i call the ezpass 1 800 number they said it could be put in the back.....but i also read some where else that the 'tag' can't be read from the rear license plate???...my main concern is that i don't have a license plate in the front (the state requires only in the back) so i would have to creat the holes in the front which i am totally against doing....is there any one with an 04 or 05 camry with an ezpass???.....any suggestions?

·
Rated H: Chikan Sukebe
02 Vitz
1,363 Posts
in the windshield under the rearview is the best place inside

the reason why they on the license plate frame is becasue they have found that the reciever does not always it up on the inside.

if you have to put it on the outside, there are two little dimples along the middle of the bumper, this is where the license plate would be if you had on on the front.

·
FloridaPino
78 Posts
Here in FL, our "inside" units work even when they are not mounted on the windshield. My wife never mounted her's on the glass, it is in an empty space under her radio and it still works.

·
Bootyologist
2004 Toyota Camry LE
1,531 Posts
juss whip it out before you get to the booth. it works for me

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i was going to sign up for the inside ezpass tag, but when i was asked for the type of car i had....i was told i would have to get an exterior ezpass tag.
my main concern was that i would have to drill holes in front of the car....which i am not too happy.
i was woundering does any one with an 05 camry have an internal ezpass??...if so are you passing through the toll boots with out any problems?? my other concer is that with an external ezpass it will get dusty or covered with snow and i would have to clean it every time i have to pass through a toll boot!!

·
Rated H: Chikan Sukebe
02 Vitz
1,363 Posts
as for problems with external ezpass you wont have any problems with any dirt or snow messing up the speed pass.... it uses tech kinda like shortwave radio and mircowave waves. if anybody has the Mobil Speedpass it works the same way.

speaking of speedpass, has anybody seen the Timex Speedpass?

·
Road Trippin'
63 Posts
For those without toll roads (road you pay to drive on), EZPass (and other systems in different states) is an automated payment system. You drive through a toll booth, a special transceier 'reads' the tag and identifies who it belongs to, then deducts the toll amount from an account you have set up with the highway authority.

These things are called RFID tags - Radio Frequency Identification. If you want to get really detailed on how they work, Google it.

Now radio frequencies have a hard time passing through a lot of metal (think about how a cell phone doesn't work in a metal elevator), and a lot of cars are embedding metal into the glass for tinting, etc. Hence the need for external tags.

tzn2004 - try a little experiment to determine if you even need the external tag. Drive slowly into the booth with the tag on your dash or held up to the windshield. If the booth detects the tag, then you don't need the external one. If it doesn't detect it, roll down the window and wave it around - it'll detect it then.

Can you tell I'm an engineer yet? :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:thumbup:
i will let you know if this works before i go drill holes in my car:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts