Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Black since 1985
97 Camry
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kenwood KAC-7201 ,
I was "attempting" to hook up my amp with my subs and whatnot. I ran the power wire(but did not connect to the battery), from the amp to the battery area.
Then grounded or at least I thought I did at the time, the amp to one of those empty screw holes between the rear speakers in the trunk.
I then attempted to connect the power wire to the battery and a spark flew. I went back to check the amp and the blue protection light was not coming on. (nothing else was connected other than the ground and power wire at the time).
Did I blow my amp already, or possibly just my in line fuse?

:disappoin :hammer:

·
Registered
38 Posts
ya... try looking to see if the fuse on ur power cable blew or not... last time this happened to me... that fuse blew... so don't stress urself too early.:D

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
354 Posts
Just look inside the fuse itself and see if the piece of metal through it is burned in 1/2 or not. If it's melted, then the fuse has blown.

·
Registered
338 Posts
something similar happened to me...went through the same steps that you mentioned. when i connected it to my battery, it sparked. at first i kinda freaked. took the power cable off the battery, and turned the key to IGNITION. the fuse was blown and my clock had reset. Then i turned the key to start up the car. nothing happened. I sat in silence for about 30 seconds, went and smoked a blunt, came back, hooked up my power cable and my car started just fine with a pounding bass. weird.

EDIT: forgot to mention that i did replace the fuse first

·
TRD Guy
588 Posts
just the fuse man, happened to me once when i was connectin my capacitor, thought i blew out my amp but i went to the fuse, no worries man

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't know how experienced you are at installing amps, so don't be insulted. Did you install the remote turn on lead? I once spent a week and a half trying to install a couple of amps and finally figured out that the remote lead had come undone from the stereo. I was pissed when I found out it was that simple of a mistake.

·
Black since 1985
97 Camry
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No... did'nt connect any remote wire to the HU, Could'nt figure out where the hell to do it.

I'm a newb, this is my first time handling an amp... I usually just do headunits and speakers.

Maybe I need to get a better headunit. only wires not taken are some RCA inputs and a dimmer wire. I won't say what crap ass Headunit I got just so I could have RCA outputs to hook up my amp.. I guess I just gotta save my money and get another

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ruffrydasean said:
No... did'nt connect any remote wire to the HU, Could'nt figure out where the hell to do it.

I'm a newb, this is my first time handling an amp... I usually just do headunits and speakers.

Maybe I need to get a better headunit. only wires not taken are some RCA inputs and a dimmer wire. I won't say what crap ass Headunit I got just so I could have RCA outputs to hook up my amp.. I guess I just gotta save my money and get another

It sounds like the remote wire is your problem then. Amps have three power connections. One straight from the battery, one ground, and then the remote turn on. If an amp didn't have the remote turn on then your amp would be on all the time and would run the battery down. The remote turn on is to turn the amp on whenever the head unit is on. There should be a wire, most likely blue, from the head unit that should be connected to the amp remote spot. Hopefully that helps you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
oh.. ahahahah!

same thing happened to me.. I don't know if this exact thign happened to you, but this is what I did...

I connected the power wire from the battery to the ground port on my amp.. then I connected the ground to the power port.. once that metal touched my amp, sparks flew and so did my 2 40 amp fuses.

Just make sure the right wire goes in to the right port because working on it at night and for a very long time can lead to confusion. Just double check pal.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
That is why they put fuses on the amp. ;) Don't feel bad, I was in a hurry to reinstall my JBL 1200.1 one day after building new boxes for my kickers and I did the same thing too!

It's a bitch to find 3 40amp fuses that fit. Bah.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
a little spark is normal when you hook up amps.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
a little spark is normal when you hook up amps.

·
Black since 1985
97 Camry
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOOOT IT WORKS! :D :smokin: :woot: :fruit: :clap: :rockon: :thumbsup:

I'm sorry... first time I've hooked up an amp... I was so damn pressed to go hook it up, I tried to wait until the rain stopped and could'nt take it anymore. Me and my friend crammed in there and connected the remote wire from the HU to the amp and had a mini party. All I gotta do is get a better HU to go with it and fine tune the amp settings tomorow. :whatwhat:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.