Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
06 TRD Tacoma Sport
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oright its time, my divoce is final :clap: and now i can start spending money on myself versus the one i just got rid of. Im trying to decide what size of lift to put on the truck. I have the 265/70/17 bfg all terains. How tall of a lift you guys think i should go with. If you guys have the same size tire with lift , please show. Im looking to buy within the next couple of hours
Thanks
 

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
Joined
·
3,745 Posts
easy, if you gonna stay with those tires, then go with a 3in lift. are you planning newer wheels and tires in the future?
 

·
Registered
06 TRD Tacoma Sport
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prob going to stay with the same size of tire. I just didnt want it to look to tall and have puny small tires with fender wells showing to much. Would i be able to use the billstein shocks with the lift or do i have to get new ones. I was looking at the toytec spacers and leaf kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,355 Posts
Also depends on installation. Will you do it yourself or have a pro do it? I was looking into the Fabtech and Pro-Comp 6" lifts. Not sure about the Pro-Comp, but the Fabtech requires you to cut one of the frame crossmembers, weld on end plates and paint them before installing the lift. Fabtech had an install PDF on there site, but I couldn't find anything similar on Pro-Comp's site so I don't know if it's the same deal. I'm not ready to start cutting up the frame of my new truck so I'm not planning on one of those lifts anytime soon.

I'm happy with my 3" lift and 285's so I'll probably stick to that height and just upgrade the components from Toytec to DR, SAW, or something similar.
 

·
Registered
06 TRD Tacoma Sport
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PiercedTiger said:
Also depends on installation. Will you do it yourself or have a pro do it? I was looking into the Fabtech and Pro-Comp 6" lifts. Not sure about the Pro-Comp, but the Fabtech requires you to cut one of the frame crossmembers, weld on end plates and paint them before installing the lift. Fabtech had an install PDF on there site, but I couldn't find anything similar on Pro-Comp's site so I don't know if it's the same deal. I'm not ready to start cutting up the frame of my new truck so I'm not planning on one of those lifts anytime soon.

I'm happy with my 3" lift and 285's so I'll probably stick to that height and just upgrade the components from Toytec to DR, SAW, or something similar.

Did you have to replace your shocks? what type did u go with? yeah i will prob be doing it myself. Im new to the who 4x4 world. I crossing over to the dark side from street racing
 

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
PiercedTiger said:
Also depends on installation. Will you do it yourself or have a pro do it? I was looking into the Fabtech and Pro-Comp 6" lifts. Not sure about the Pro-Comp, but the Fabtech requires you to cut one of the frame crossmembers, weld on end plates and paint them before installing the lift. Fabtech had an install PDF on there site, but I couldn't find anything similar on Pro-Comp's site so I don't know if it's the same deal. I'm not ready to start cutting up the frame of my new truck so I'm not planning on one of those lifts anytime soon.

I'm happy with my 3" lift and 285's so I'll probably stick to that height and just upgrade the components from Toytec to DR, SAW, or something similar.
that's what i'd do in your position, upgrade your 3" lift... sorry to hear bout the DEEEE-Vorce.
 

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
I have a 3" lift that you can find pics of on here with 265/70/16 tires... I think it looks fine... granted will look better with my 255/85... but still... you get the idea... if you got with the OME coils up front, get the nirtocharger shocks too- they are GREAT with this set up...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,355 Posts
Coastgardsman said:
Did you have to replace your shocks? what type did u go with? yeah i will prob be doing it myself. Im new to the who 4x4 world. I crossing over to the dark side from street racing
I still have the stock shocks. That's one of the reasons I want to upgrade. The other is my current lift (Toytec 3" spacer and AAL) was a stop-gap solution until I can afford DR's or SAW's and maybe a Dakar leaf pack after hearing lots about them here. I really needed to stop hitting the bumpstops with small loads (thus the need for AAL or helper springs), wanted a little more ground clearance after getting stuck once, and I wanted bigger tires for offroading. At just under $200, the toytec was a nice compromise and has worked well for around 8 months and almost 20k miles.

Fabtech did a NICE 19-page install manual that I read through, but I'm not comfortable using a sawzall to cut the frame member, weld on the plates, grind them off, and painting them. I mean, if I ever want to sell the truck it's gonna be a bitch to return to stock after that. If it's even possible.
 

·
Registered
06 TRD Tacoma Sport
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PiercedTiger said:
I still have the stock shocks. That's one of the reasons I want to upgrade. The other is my current lift (Toytec 3" spacer and AAL) was a stop-gap solution until I can afford DR's or SAW's and maybe a Dakar leaf pack after hearing lots about them here. I really needed to stop hitting the bumpstops with small loads (thus the need for AAL or helper springs), wanted a little more ground clearance after getting stuck once, and I wanted bigger tires for offroading. At just under $200, the toytec was a nice compromise and has worked well for around 8 months and almost 20k miles.

Fabtech did a NICE 19-page install manual that I read through, but I'm not comfortable using a sawzall to cut the frame member, weld on the plates, grind them off, and painting them. I mean, if I ever want to sell the truck it's gonna be a bitch to return to stock after that. If it's even possible.
ok let me get this right before i press the "order" button here. Do you have the basic kit or the pro basic kit? and i would be ok with using my stock shocks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,355 Posts
Coastgardsman said:
ok let me get this right before i press the "order" button here. Do you have the basic kit or the pro basic kit? and i would be ok with using my stock shocks?
Looking at their site I would have to say I got the Basic kit. I didn't get any anti-friction pads, and my AAL are square ended, not rounded like the Alcan ones.

That being said I probably would have gone with the 3" coil kit had I known more at the time. The truck rides and handles just fine on road. The problem is it's a little harsh off road. I just took a little spin around an old rock quarry (i think that's what it was) on lunch. There were lots of ruts, rocks, and dirt mounds to drive over. The truck shook quite a bit going over them slowly. Definitely not smooth like you see trucks with DR or SAWs racing over dunes and such. I don't know if OME coils would smooth that out, but I think the spacer preloads the springs enough that they don't compress far enough to asborb bumps before they bottom out. Or compress enough that the coils touch. If that makes sense. :lol: At least in my mind that's what's happening. I don't let my wife drive off road to watch, and I don't have a video camer to film what's happening.


Stock shocks are fine I suppose. No problems, but like I mentioned before. I want a smoother ride with better travel for offroading so I'm planning and researching better lifts for when I can afford them. Something geared towards desert racing would probably work fine for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
Coastgardsman said:
Oright its time, my divoce is final :clap: and now i can start spending money on myself versus the one i just got rid of. Im trying to decide what size of lift to put on the truck. I have the 265/70/17 bfg all terains. How tall of a lift you guys think i should go with. If you guys have the same size tire with lift , please show. Im looking to buy within the next couple of hours
Thanks
In Corpus 'eh? I'm up in Victoria. Too bad on the divorce...or.....Helly ya'eeh! Maybe you should let the feeling subside, then approach the lift thing a month from now or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Donahoe/Deaver - great for on road and off road
OME/Toytec - a little rough but still ok for off road
Spacer/AAL/Block - pretty rough but still ok for on road and probably unbearable off road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,355 Posts
Coastgardsman said:
Just ordered the TOYTEC 3" kit. :clap: going to see how it goes when i put it on. Ill keep my fingers crossed
Good luck! Join tundrasolutions.com and search for toytec install or something like that. One of those guys did a great write up on how to do it. I had it with me when I did mine!

I'm sure you'll like it! I've just gotten more into offroading than I expected so I kinda know what I need now. lol
 

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
Joined
·
3,745 Posts
so you got the kit with the spacer up front or coil?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top