Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I own and Rav4 bought new in 17. So we liked it enough to recommend to our daughter to purchase a Camry.

Our daughter gets in to drive her Camry and notices that the car has NO A/C at all. However the fans work and the instrument panel is lite as it should be.

Her husband takes the car in for a maintenance check and learns the A/C condenser has a "small pin hole" according to the service dept. He ask if warranty will cover that cost, and the reply was "no" that is a result of road damage and the warranty does not cover those. The service rep hands him a quote of $950 and says thank you.

Now everyone please remember this, the car is a 2018 Toyota Camry LE with 28K miles, with the additional 6 year Platinum warranty as well.
I called the dealership and spoke to the GM, he vowed to call me back with a followup on this matter. I have yet to receive that phone call. Although the GM did take the time to pass it on to someone related to the owner of the dealership. That person said to me it was not covered and I should have my daughter turn it in on her insurance as she would a windshield claim.
With all this frustration we contact Toyota Corp., and thru many back and forth conversations, the Toyota Corp. Rep. said they stand with the dealership on this.

SO who has had this experience with Toyota, and how did you resolve your problem?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
My wife and I own and Rav4 bought new in 17. So we liked it enough to recommend to our daughter to purchase a Camry.

Our daughter gets in to drive her Camry and notices that the car has NO A/C at all. However the fans work and the instrument panel is lite as it should be.

Her husband takes the car in for a maintenance check and learns the A/C condenser has a "small pin hole" according to the service dept. He ask if warranty will cover that cost, and the reply was "no" that is a result of road damage and the warranty does not cover those. The service rep hands him a quote of $950 and says thank you.

Now everyone please remember this, the car is a 2018 Toyota Camry LE with 28K miles, with the additional 6 year Platinum warranty as well.
I called the dealership and spoke to the GM, he vowed to call me back with a followup on this matter. I have yet to receive that phone call. Although the GM did take the time to pass it on to someone related to the owner of the dealership. That person said to me it was not covered and I should have my daughter turn it in on her insurance as she would a windshield claim.
With all this frustration we contact Toyota Corp., and thru many back and forth conversations, the Toyota Corp. Rep. said they stand with the dealership on this.

SO who has had this experience with Toyota, and how did you resolve your problem?
Any time you have a problem like that with a warranty claim, never "ask" them if it is covered. That is sign of extreme weakness that they will try and exploit.

I would take it to another Toyota dealer and tell them the problem, and don't mention any other dealing with a dealer or Toyota. You are not required to take a car to the dealer who you bought it from to get Toyota warranty service.

Did you get a case number from Toyota? Make sure you restate your case in writing to them, including all communications with Toyota dealers.

As far as a pin hole in the compressor, since it is made of metal, that doesn't make sense (unless talking about some hose connected to the compressor). Can you see the hole? I don't know how they can determine if a pinhole is caused by a road hazard.

If you don't get sanctification from another dealer, or Toyota, send them a certified letter asking for a response and explanation in writing as to why they think the damage was caused by a road hazard. If they have already explained it, you need to include that explanation in your comments in this forum.

If you still can't get satisfaction, consider small claims court (or arbitration if you signed an arbitration agreement during purchase). Also, you can contact a local consumer affairs reporter at a local TV station.

Finally, make sure that you tell the dealer you will expressing your opinion of this matter on Yelp, Google, and all other customer review websites you can find if it is not resolved properly. But I am assuming you have told me all the facts. Photos of the pinhole (or so-called pin-hole) would have been useful..

·
straight cash homie
18,942 Posts
Any time you have a problem like that with a warranty claim, never "ask" them if it is covered. That is sign of extreme weakness that they will try and exploit.

I would take it to another Toyota dealer and tell them the problem, and don't mention any other dealing with a dealer or Toyota. You are not required to take a car to the dealer who you bought it from to get Toyota warranty service.

Did you get a case number from Toyota? Make sure you restate your case in writing to them, including all communications with Toyota dealers.
IDK if taking it to another dealer would help because they already have a case number with Toyota going, and the dealer can easily look that up for sure and see the denial, which would probably be something they'd do if they go down that same path as the first dealer. Of course, they can choose to do it or not, since all dealers get warranty money from their region that they can goodwill for customer repairs not made under the regular warranty claims.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
IDK if taking it to another dealer would help because they already have a case number with Toyota going, and the dealer can easily look that up for sure and see the denial, which would probably be something they'd do if they go down that same path as the first dealer. Of course, they can choose to do it or not, since all dealers get warranty money from their region that they can goodwill for customer repairs not made under the regular warranty claims.
I just don't understand the facts in this case. Something seems not right. How can a dealer know that a pinhole leak in the compressor was caused by a road hazard? If there is some evidence of that, such as other nearby physical damage, then I would say the dealer is correct, and file an insurance claim or pay for it. But not enough information was provided by the thread starter (and no pics provided).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured how to post the pics. Here are pics of the condenser, if you notice the toward right hand corner the small indentions (dime size) in the fins, they say that is the impact point of a rock that caused a small pin hole. As to taking it to another dealer, I myself did that and took these pics while on the rack. That dealer already was aware it had been to the previous dealer where the car was purchased.
In the extended warranty brochure it states the condenser is covered, and no were can I find exclusions for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I figured how to post the pics. Here are pics of the condenser, if you notice the toward right hand corner the small indentions (dime size) in the fins, they say that is the impact point of a rock that caused a small pin hole. As to taking it to another dealer, I myself did that and took these pics while on the rack. That dealer already was aware it had been to the previous dealer where the car was purchased.
In the extended warranty brochure it states the condenser is covered, and no were can I find exclusions for that.
Obviously the condenser is covered by the warranty. The question is whether it failed due to external road hazard damage, or just failure of the component itself. My understanding is that the dealer said it was not covered because of road hazard damage. So I don't know why you are looking for warranty "exclusions." Any problem caused by road hazard damage or an accident is exuded in a manufacture warranty. BTW, the fact that you bought a Platinum Extended Warranty is completely irrelevant, since the car is still under the new car warranty.

I am not an expert in auto A/C, but normally on a home A/C, just because the cooling fins are bent does not cause the condenser to fail. It is very common for cooling fins on A/C condensers and radiators to get bent, with no damage to the coils containing the Freon (or whatever). So I don't know what the dealer is talking about, or how he knows where it is leaking (or whatever damage he claims) just by looking the cooling fins. Did the dealer actually say how the physical damage caused the unit to fail?

You need to find a expert who can look at the damage and make an assessment as to whether it would lose all the Freon (or whatever) due to the damage the dealer pointed out. Try an independent repair shop, maybe one that specializes in Toyota. Even if you do end up paying to get it replaced, they may do it for a lot less money. Don't tell the repair shop about your previous dealings with the dealer until they tell you their diagnosis.

With regard to the pics, it would be best if you edited the pics with photo editor and circled the area of damage, and make sure the relevant areas are in focus.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My argument as well referring to the factory warranty. As for the damage not being seen so well without markup, shows just how much the damage is.
I have posted a markup as you suggested with the damage outlined.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
My argument as well referring to the factory warranty. As for the damage not being seen so well without markup, shows just how much the damage is.
I have posted a markup as you suggested with the damage outlined.
Regarding your new pic, thanks for posting that. I personally do not believe that damage to the cooling fins would cause the condenser to fail. That is completely ridiculous. Send the pic to Toyota and explain to them that the dealer is running a scam, and you will contacting the media about this if they don't resolve it immediately.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,157 Posts
Well here is the fact sheet to prove the BS with Toyota.
By the way anyone interested in a 17 Rav4 Limited AWD? View attachment 282652
Call it what you want. Unfortunately you'll have to "prove" tech wrong. After u get it fixed, install bug screen. I did on my HL. Good luck on outcome.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Call it what you want. Unfortunately you'll have to "prove" tech wrong. After u get it fixed, install bug screen. I did on my HL. Good luck on outcome.
I have never seen any A/C condenser unit that has been used for awhile for a home or auto that did not have some bent cooling fins. That does not cause it to fail. Same with radiators.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,157 Posts
I have never seen any A/C condenser unit that has been used for awhile for a home or auto that did not have some bent cooling fins. That does not cause it to fail. Same with radiators.
R/O says...a/c condenser leaking fluid. Or maybe I misread ? Still a bummer.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
R/O says...a/c condenser leaking fluid. Or maybe I misread ? Still a bummer.
Is it leaking fluid (I assume the refrigerant gas) at the point this is circled in the photo where the cooling fins are slightly bent? If so, how was that determined.

I would take it to an independent repair shop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The "tech" has made his judgement call with our damaged condenser.
A small rock has punctured the condenser creating a small pin hole. The pin hole has allowed all the freon to escape, and the AC to stop working properly. This has been the decision of tech, and dealership along with Toyota Corp. My wife has had several phone calls with Toyota agent (Penny) who agrees with the dealership. So with all that being said, we may have to fix this due to lack of customer care. But I can say one thing as for my family, if it happens to be we pay for it, anyone ever mentions buying a Toyota in my presents will be made aware of how Toyota has handled this matter. As for us we will never buy another Toyota if this is not made right!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
You definitely had a bit of bad luck on this one. I am sure your experience is due in large part to the bean counters reducing the cost of the condenser by making the fins & tubes with thinner & thinner aluminum so that the fins will bend if you breath on them hard. But, in this case, the dealer decided to call it external road damaged and not cover it under warranty. Not much can be done except insurance. A large bug may have slammed into it hard enough to bend the fins & in this case fracture a freon tube.
The advice you got about taking it to another dealer reminds me of an experience we had with our son's Tacoma truck. An intermittent engine noise coming from behind the timing belt cover of his V6 engine. First dealer (not the selling dealership) we took it to was the closest dealer & they finally heard the noise and removed the timing belt cover and found a loose 10mm bolt (one of the several holding the inner metal cover to the heads). I asked if the repair was covered under the power train warranty and they said NO! I was there and said to them "This IS covered under the PTW, put it back together and we will deal with it ourselves." After stewing about this for 24 hours, I called the dealer where he purchased the truck and described the problem over the phone & told him I had the damaged 10mm bolt that was found by the first dealer that I could show him. He told me this was obviously covered by the PTW and to bring it in and they would gladly fix it! Totally different situation (much harder to claim external damage) but shows different dealers may give you completely different answers! Truck in for a week (had to order a cam pulley). They also replaced the timing belt & put in a new 10mm bolt.

·
straight cash homie
18,942 Posts
The "tech" has made his judgement call with our damaged condenser.
A small rock has punctured the condenser creating a small pin hole. The pin hole has allowed all the freon to escape, and the AC to stop working properly. This has been the decision of tech, and dealership along with Toyota Corp. My wife has had several phone calls with Toyota agent (Penny) who agrees with the dealership. So with all that being said, we may have to fix this due to lack of customer care. But I can say one thing as for my family, if it happens to be we pay for it, anyone ever mentions buying a Toyota in my presents will be made aware of how Toyota has handled this matter. As for us we will never buy another Toyota if this is not made right!!!
Toyota didn't even offer to go half on it? I know with dealerships, its YMMV. I remember doing it before with my sister's Camry, where one dealer declined to cover a warranty, but I went to another dealer and I only paid labor, which was a good deal because the car was out of warranty so that dealer goodwilled my repair.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
But, in this case, the dealer decided to call it external road damaged and not cover it under warranty.
More than likely the tech found a leak, and bent the cooling fins to make it look like there was external road damage. There is a lot of money to be made on a non-warranty repair for both parts and service.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You definitely had a bit of bad luck on this one. I am sure your experience is due in large part to the bean counters reducing the cost of the condenser by making the fins & tubes with thinner & thinner aluminum so that the fins will bend if you breath on them hard. But, in this case, the dealer decided to call it external road damaged and not cover it under warranty. Not much can be done except insurance. A large bug may have slammed into it hard enough to bend the fins & in this case fracture a freon tube.
The advice you got about taking it to another dealer reminds me of an experience we had with our son's Tacoma truck. An intermittent engine noise coming from behind the timing belt cover of his V6 engine. First dealer (not the selling dealership) we took it to was the closest dealer & they finally heard the noise and removed the timing belt cover and found a loose 10mm bolt (one of the several holding the inner metal cover to the heads). I asked if the repair was covered under the power train warranty and they said NO! I was there and said to them "This IS covered under the PTW, put it back together and we will deal with it ourselves." After stewing about this for 24 hours, I called the dealer where he purchased the truck and described the problem over the phone & told him I had the damaged 10mm bolt that was found by the first dealer that I could show him. He told me this was obviously covered by the PTW and to bring it in and they would gladly fix it! Totally different situation (much harder to claim external damage) but shows different dealers may give you completely different answers! Truck in for a week (had to order a cam pulley). They also replaced the timing belt & put in a new 10mm bolt.
It goes like this as one person said in a earlier reply to my postings. I took this car to another dealer or second opinion if you will. The dealer service tech explained to me the findings, and even took me to see the car while on the rack. That is when I took the attached photos which are now posted above. This dealer is standing behind the first dealers findings of road damage uncovered by warranty and suggested I file a insurance claim as well.
Here is my take on that SCAM, my daughter is paying over $500 a month on this car, having bought a ext. warranty was well. Moreover like many paying for insurance to drive the car without AC in the heat till someone at at Toyota gets a conscience and says fix the car. Here in KY. its going to be about 90+ the next couple days, so I more than likely will just pay to have it fixed for my daughter and grandkids to go to school in and be done with them as they are with us. My wife and I are already looking for another vehicle to replace our 17 Rav4 limited. These people are crooks in opinion, they can sell you a warranty, but not stand behind it! Although this car is under factory warranty.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts