Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
In the first part of your comment I agree. I don't think any dealership would commit fraud in this manner for a very few bucks. But, it does happen somewhere. I personally don't think the tech did anything either. I just think that Toyota Corp. has made it more difficult for their dealerships, to reach out for these types of repairs on their products, and leaving all the burden to the customer.

A rock hit the condenser probably, who knows? I would guess just as they did that a rock did hit the condenser. The fins are mashed in a little as the photo shows, little damage there for a big repair cost.
I couldn't imagine anything else done it, but again we will never know.

As for you paying for the windshield for your customer, walking in your customers shoes from your own advice.
I guess we should have bought the car from you then, our dealer didnt give a damn about our shoes.
So I can trash Toyota for $839 reasons if I like, I feel they own some of the problem when a small gravel (they think) can disable a whole air conditioning unit on a 2018 Toyota Camry from driving down the road. I can understand that a tire from a nail for sure, but a A/C unit from a small rock. Great design Toyota!

And yes it happens, but when it does you would like to believe the people you spent $85K with would at least walk a mile in your shoes. Yes, in the last 5 years my 2 daughters car, and our Rav4.

Talk about ludicrous!

·
Registered
39 Posts
You reach a point where it gets ludicrous. Lets say they give you the old part, some here would say they did the damage intentionally, but never know what the "real" (imaginary) problem was. It's not rational. It's criminal fraud, a felony. Last thing I would ever consider doing if I owned a Toyota dealership is sabotaging my customers cars. Retribution would be immediate, YOUR FIRED!!!!!!! YOUR UNDER ARREST FOR A FELONY!!!!!! Huge consideration to the victim "customer" making me, the owner, a co-conspirator!!!!
Yeah right cameras everywhere, I really want sabotaging customer cars to be my policy. Talk about a lawsuit.

A rock hit the condenser and it was damaged, the freon ran out of the system and it quit working. Whose fault is that? I had a rock hit me in the windshield test driving a car, from a car going the opposite direction and it weighed a quarter pound or better, smashed the shit out of the glass on the test drive.

I called the glass shop and arranged to pay for the installation. The repair order states clearly, (NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE BEYOND OUR CONTROL). The customer was a good customer and I just decided to pay for what was definitely NOT my fault or his fault. I was under NO LEGAL OBLIGATION TO REPLACE THE WINDSHIELD.

You can trash Toyota and insinuate they have some liability, even to the point of just refusing to accept the fact it sucks but shit happens. It's not a winning or loosing thing, always walk a mile in the shoes of your perceived opponent. They checked it out saw the physical damage and gave you an estimate for repairing the damage.

Now they have a enemy for life, seems like a very low threshold for making enemies. The comprehensive insurance I would check into. That sounds like your shit sandwich. Make the claim and let them jack up your premium then get another company, until you find one that does not cancel or jack up your rates for something over which you have no control. The insurance agent lied to you (that's my opinion). At least in the state where I live, comprehensive rates are based on the total number of claims in that region. If any individual makes numerous questionable claims they might cancel that person.

This whole thread is beating a dead hose not just to death, but until it's a dried spot on the ground, completely pulverized.
Old Mechanic offers a great example, windshield gets hit by rock, warranty will not cover this. Same with radiator. There should be an easy way to pressure test this for leaks. At any rate, cash in the extended warranty, use the proceeds to pay for repair and move on. I know it sucks but its the will of Allah...................

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
A rock hit the condenser probably, who knows? I would guess just as they did that a rock did hit the condenser. The fins are mashed in a little as the photo shows, little damage there for a big repair cost.
I couldn't imagine anything else done it, but again we will never know.
If a rock hit the condenser causing a leak, that is clearly not a warranty repair. It doesn't matter how many Toyota's purchased from that dealer, or how many extended warranties one has.

However, the original description of the problem was that there was a "pinhole" leak. Pinhole leaks are common in tubing that holds the refrigerant, especially those made from copper, and pinholes usually occur without any kind physical damage done to the condenser (such as a road hazard). Pinholes in copper water pipes in homes are also a problem. Even if the Condenser pipes are made from aluminum, pinhole leaks can occur without being struck by a road hazard.

This is why I am suspicious about what the Toyota tech said about the pinhole leak. If there was road hazard (rock, etc) that put a visible gash in the tubing (not just the fins) that would be one thing. But if there is a pinhole leak it may not even be visible to the naked eye. I would get the old condenser tested when you get it back. You can google "A/C pinhole leak detection" to find out various ways to do that.

The key point is whether the pinhole leak is actually occurring at the point where the physical damage to the cooling fins were found.

·
Registered
251 Posts
^Again this is why I said need a dye test to determine 100% if thats where the leak is and thats the only place where leak is on the car. How do they know one of the Schroeder valves isnt leaking or theres another defect causing a leak, they dont.

So playing devils advocate if they replace condenser and it doesnt resolve issue whats next? They gonna dip back into your pocket for more money to fix? Yes they will. Personally Im suspect that a rock caused that leak but Im not a mechanic but have turned quie a few wrenches in my time. I dont 100% believe thats the source but be armed with them and ask if that doesnt resolve issue then what.

Good Luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I disagree, it does matter how many we Toyota's bought from said dealer. Just to prove the point of walking in my shoes as one posted earlier. The dealers are always saying they want to earn your business, thats not the way to earn my business by turning me away while in a fix for something I have no control over.
For a dealer you have never had any dealings with is willing to cut you a break for your bad luck, and gain your business over the dealer who sold you the car is pretty sad.

And a rock hitting the condenser may have caused the pinhole, but nobody will ever know. As for the original posting of the pinhole, that is exactly what was reported by the selling dealer on the R/O which I had posted.

I have no idea what caused the pinhole, no more than anyone else but I am not the mechanic here. When looking at the condenser while in the car at the second and third dealer, I didn't any signs of leaks or proof of any ac testing with dye or freon. I can only go by what was told to me from the professionals who do this daily. But, I will say in my time adding freon or oil into a A/C compressor line I have always seen some trace of dye or oil residue on the lines or around the Schrader valve. I would have thought a system under pressure would leave a trace off something around a pinhole.
But again, its done and like many who wish for me to move on, I am and have, I paid for the car to be fixed and its working fine as of now. Simply put, when you buy a vehicle from Toyota, you really do own it, and own it all.

I just enjoying reading these postings now to beat a dead horse as one posted earlier.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
^Again this is why I said need a dye test to determine 100% if thats where the leak is and thats the only place where leak is on the car. How do they know one of the Schroeder valves isnt leaking or theres another defect causing a leak, they dont.

So playing devils advocate if they replace condenser and it doesnt resolve issue whats next? They gonna dip back into your pocket for more money to fix? Yes they will. Personally Im suspect that a rock caused that leak but Im not a mechanic but have turned quie a few wrenches in my time. I dont 100% believe thats the source but be armed with them and ask if that doesnt resolve issue then what.

Good Luck
There could be a pinhole leak somewhere else in the condenser, so replacing it might fix it the problem, but that doesn't mean the leak is occurring where the road hazard was found (bent cooling fins).

Since there is presumably no refrigerant in the condenser now, the easiest way to find the leak is probably to pressurize it with air, and apply some soapy water on the where they say it occurred to see if any soap bubbles show up. Similar to testing for natural gas leaks.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I disagree, it does matter how many we Toyota's bought from said dealer. Just to prove the point of walking in my shoes as one posted earlier. The dealers are always saying they want to earn your business, thats not the way to earn my business by turning me away while in a fix for something I have no control over.
For a dealer you have never had any dealings with is willing to cut you a break for your bad luck, and gain your business over the dealer who sold you the car is pretty sad.
The dealer did not offer a warranty on your new car purchase. That is offered by Toyota Motor Company. Dealers are not authorized to make exceptions to warranty rules regarding damage from road hazards (assuming that a road hazard actually caused your damage). So that is what I meant by it doesn't matter how many Toyota's you have purchased, with regard to warranty coverage policy.

Now maybe your dealer could have offered a discount on the non-warranty repair, but you may have been able to get a discount just by looking at their website and see if they had any parts or service coupons. Or you could have purchased all the parts online at a 25% discount (from an authorized Toyota dealer) and had an independent mechanic who specializes in Toyota to do the work and save a fair amount of money. I don't think that other dealer gave you that much of a break that couldn't have found by shopping around, even at Toyota dealers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The dealer did not offer a warranty on your new car purchase. That is offered by Toyota Motor Company. Dealers are not authorized to make exceptions to warranty rules regarding damage from road hazards (assuming that a road hazard actually caused your damage). So that is what I meant by it doesn't matter how many Toyota's you have purchased, with regard to warranty coverage policy.

Now maybe your dealer could have offered a discount on the non-warranty repair, but you may have been able to get a discount just by looking at their website and see if they had any parts or service coupons. Or you could have purchased all the parts online at a 25% discount (from an authorized Toyota dealer) and had an independent mechanic who specializes in Toyota to do the work and save a fair amount of money. I don't think that other dealer gave you that much of a break that couldn't have found by shopping around, even at Toyota dealers.
With that we can agree!

But, as crappy as this has been I wanted to make sure no excuses for any other damages that may occur, would be as questionable as this has been.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get a 2nd expert opinion and then bring it to Toyota. Mechanics are human; hence, some are arses and idiots.

It comes down to how much time and effort you want to put to the fight.

Warranty / insurace are designed to collect not pay out.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts