Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a clean used 06 Limited, unfortunately, it isn't equipped with the factory Navi system.

My question is this: would it be worth it, or too much trouble to put in a factory system, perhaps from a salvage yard? A salvage yard in town has the dash display and the head unit from a 06 limited with the factory navi system. Is the wiring harnesses for the navi system included with all Avy's or does it use a seperate harness. The guys at the yard aren't very helpful, and they said the donor car is no longer in the yard, so looks like if more parts were needed, I'm out of luck.

Does anybody know?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
The navigation system on the Avalon is notorious for being user unfriendly. I'm perfectly happy with mine, but it's cumbersome to use especially when compared to the Garmin Nuvi 350 I gave to my son when I bought my 2007 Ltd.

Moreover, putting in a navigation system sourced from a salvage yard is asking for trouble. The potential is too great for hardware, software and installation problems.

You're probably better off buying a Garmin that has all the features you want. The newest GPS systems have bigger screens, better technology, more features and lower prices than when I bought the Nuvi 350.

·
Avalon Enthusiast
05Avalon, 03Mustang
1,103 Posts
I emphatically second mano's comments. I have the Nav, and it's loaded with features that don't actually work (numerous Toyota sales and service persons have tried and failed). It ends up being equivalent to something you could buy for $79; the only unique benefit being a larger display. The actual Nav unit is located in the trunk. In addition to the head (control) unit and display, you will need the DVD drive/Nav unit, and the DVD with maps and operating system. There may also be some software required to make it all work.

·
'07 Avalon Limited
'07 Avalon Ltd
1,093 Posts
I'll make it unanimous - there are better, and cheaper, alternatives than the factory Nav unit. I have the factory unit. While it works, it can be frustrating to use.

Do yourself a favor and look for something else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the great replies!

The advice is duly noted, as I will be shopping for a Garmin unit!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Name of salvage yard who has Nav head unit?

I'm wrestling with a glitch in my "multifunction display" (the map display unit in the dash)

Would you be kind enough to name the salvage yard that has the head unit?

Thanks

Henry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Henry- it was on Ebay- a salvage yard called "LKQonline"- go to 'community' on ebay and type exactly 'LKQonline' in the search box. they have a lot of Avalon parts.

Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
2008 Avalon
1 Posts
Hi, I own a 2008 Avalon with a standard non nav 6 disc system. Can a Garmin Gps GVN53 module be hooked up to the system display and work suitable? Anyone any ideas?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I doubt it. There are adapters that allow video inputs to the NAV, normally used for backup camera or DVD players. See www.navvideo.com/ However, they will not work with the Avalon non-NAV display. I checked that out in the hope of setting up a backup camera without forking over the $2k for the NAV when we bought the car. Even if you had the NAV, you would have to somehow get the video out from the Garmin.

Ed

·
Registered
215 Posts
I will say it a bit stronger. I found the factory Nav in my '06 Limited to be so frustrating to try to enter destinations into that I typically would only use it to 'Nav' home which has its own preset. That was BEFORE the already deplorable joystick stopped working. Now it is doing something where you have to press the down direction and apply hard pressure and rock it around before it will register a button press. It's rendered the Nav virtually unusable now. I end up getting French nearly every time I just try to get past the initial disclaimer screen. I end up using my $10/mo VZ Navigator on my cell phone more than the $2000+ factory Nav. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for the factory Nav system. The $175 Nuvi 205W I bought my mother for Christmas blows it away in terms of ease of use.

BTW ... does anyone know of a fix for the joystick problem I described, or has anyone else experienced it? How much does that joystick/button console cost to replace?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts