Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Taco 2007
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing my month and a half old truck and could not believe my eyes.
Along both sides of the truck near the bottom, the paint is "blistered". You cant see it from far away, but if you get close, it looks pretty nasty. I ran my finger on it and you can easily feel the blemishes, if you will. the blemish runs all the way across the door panel on both sides. i've never seen or heard anything like this before on a new vehicle.

I'm going to take it in the dealership tomorrow after work. They have a pretty solid reputation, is there a good chance they will correct this? I'd imagine this would take a few days or so..

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
It happens on new vehicles. Our 2004 Accord has a blemish on the hood. Looks like a pile of dust (maybe blotted with a rag) got into the paint while it was still wet. Barely noticable but there. Honda didn't do anything about it.:disappoin

·
I Drink your Milkshake
810 Posts
pooperscooper said:
Along both sides of the truck near the bottom, the paint is "blistered". You cant see it from far away, but if you get close, it looks pretty nasty. I ran my finger on it and you can easily feel the blemishes, if you will. the blemish runs all the way across the door panel on both sides. i've never seen or heard anything like this before on a new vehicle.

I'm going to take it in the dealership tomorrow after work. They have a pretty solid reputation, is there a good chance they will correct this? I'd imagine this would take a few days or so..
I think it is supposed to be like that

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
pooperscooper said:

LOL^^^^^LOL!!!! That's the stone guard texture coat that they paint on the lower half of all the Tacos!!:disappoin :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
Toyota Taco 2007
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
toku58 said:
LOL^^^^^LOL!!!! That's the stone guard texture coat that they paint on the lower half of all the Tacos!!:disappoin :lol: :lol:
no kidding? i'm glad im the source of your laughter, lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
toku58 said:
Yup, if it's uniform along both sides on the lower portions of the body panels it's the stone guard protection. Supposed to be more "chip" resistant, not a blemish.

·
Registered
Toyota Taco 2007
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, i must confess, i knew this was stonegaurd protection. I was just testing to see if other members were aware of their stonegaurd protection :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Toyota Taco 2007
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rpmspeedyBlue said:
Yep I have the same somewhat rough texture on the bottom of my 02 camry. I thought the same thing. Although I don't have it on the X-Runner.:confused:

maybe because the x-runner is a street truck not an off-roader??

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yeah that's the protection Toyota uses. My '97 Tacoma had the same thing on the bottom half.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
When I posted earlier I assumed it was an actual blemish. Weren't you at all curious to how a blemish would be so symetrical and uniform on BOTH sides?:lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your Camry may have it if it was built before the bean counters realized they could save 10 cents per vehicle by leaving it off whenever possible. The big 3 automakers have been known to save pennies per vehicle by varying the grade of adhesives applied depending on where the car was being shipped. They could use cheaper adhesives in more moderate climates.

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
GreenMtnMan said:
Your Camry may have it if it was built before the bean counters realized they could save 10 cents per vehicle by leaving it off whenever possible. The big 3 automakers have been known to save pennies per vehicle by varying the grade of adhesives applied depending on where the car was being shipped. They could use cheaper adhesives in more moderate climates.
+1 :sosad:

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
If the paint looks OK (not coming off) and the texture is consistent and limited to a certain height and width, you have a type of standard undercoating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
GreenMtnMan said:
Where exactly did you hear that the big three vary the adhesive based on where it is being shipped? I think you might want to check your source. Multiple kinds of adehesive create large complexity. I know for certain one of the big three would and does not do this. Each adhesive must go through validation testing. If they want to use different adhesives then they have to drop a large sum of money to go test is again. Also, the assembly plant would be pretty mad when they find out they are adding a layer of complexity for adhesive.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This was from a friend of mine who was an engineer for 3M. It was also many years ago before environmental and hazmat restrictions came to be. I don't know for sure that they still do this, but it does indicate a certain mindless cheaposity.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,890 Posts
I would like to know why the texture isnt here, where it REALLY needs to be..click link to see pic.

·
Registered
'14 Taco 4x4 TRD OR
206 Posts
Also known as the "orange peel" coating :D

When I first got my truck I wondered what the heck that weird texture was too and that's how the dealership explained it

It's definately a nice feature but it really could be used in some more spots

1 - 20 of 20 Posts