Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma and am looking to have my factory radio made ipod compatible. I spoke with the dealership and they said they can do it - its set through the back of the radio and has a designated FM station that the signal plays through. Has anybody heard of this? I'm not too sold on the FM idea. I just want my ipod to play straight through my radio.

If anyone has done this or knows of anyone who has done this, please share your thoughts/stories.

THanks!

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
fm transmitters are garbage.

SEARCH the forum for adding aux inputs. There are many choices. I use the DF-TOY, it can be had at curcuit city or crutchfield, but aparently it is out of stock online.

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
amp2oo1 said:
fm transmitters are garbage.

SEARCH the forum for adding aux inputs. There are many choices. I use the DF-TOY, it can be had at curcuit city or crutchfield, but aparently it is out of stock online.
+1

·
In The REAL Norcal...
2005 Taco DC 4X4
296 Posts
stay away from FM mods....especially if you live in a big city with a bazillion radio stations.....go with df-toy or check out mp3yourcar.com Thats where I got my interface for my 05 DC.....

·
Super White Taco
2005 Tacoma
817 Posts
Crutchfield has just replenished their supply of Ipod interfaces for 2005+ vehicles. The interface allows you to have 2 aux inputs (1 dedicated to Ipod & the other for any other RCA input you desire to use). It's pricey but the sound quality will be much better than the transmitter and it also allows you to charge the Ipod in the vehicle. http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=581PA11TOY

·
Registered
Tacoma regular cab
125 Posts
Try here http://www.apple.com/ipod/carintegration.html . Near the bottom of the webpage there is a listing of many after market ipod integration units.

I myself will probably be going for the Clarion headunit that you will find on that page.
True iPod Integration, Audio, Control and Charging

Clarion's latest iPod integration into the VRX765VD allows complete, on screen viewing and control of all third-generation and newer iPod units (including Photo, Nano, Mini and fifth generation iPod with video). Clarion introduced on-screen iPod emulation in 2005 and is the first to introduce iPod video integration in 2006. The embedded interface in the VRX765VD provides a familiar touch sensitive control interface, full preamp level audio integration and iPod charging directly from the unit.

Aloha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Vais Technology For My Money

I have tried Monster icruze, USA Spec with H/K Drive + Play and Neo Audio's interface. I can tell you The Vais SLI interface works best for the Toyota radios. It plugs right in the back of the radio without any other connections. It can be controlled via the Toyota Radio Thru playlists. It converts the ipod song id tag to CD text so it shows song titles via the Radio's display. It can also quickly switch to simple mode which allows you complete control directly from the iPod. This done by pushing the scan button 8 times on the radio. So you can switch back and forth easily. It also charges your ipod and has upgradeable firmware via laptop for future ipod models. http://www.vaistech.com/

·
the overhead view....
44 Posts
not fm transmitter

The dealer wants to install a fm modulater, which is different from an fm transmitter. the modulater plugs directly into the stereo, where the transmitter transmits to the antenna. Don't get me wrong. Both ideas are less than desirable as far as im concerned but the modulator is a step up from the transmitter. maybe it's been said but people constantly equate the two.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
installed USA SPEC

ipod interface update FYI -

and very satisfied.

took just under an hour (did it during the 3rd quarter of the super bowl).

easy to use and operate.

mounted in a cup holder mount.

thanks for everyone's input.

i highly recommend the usa spec device!

my only call out is the ipod doesn't turn off when you shut off your car.
just turn it off yourself.

now going to get some fj trd rims....

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for a noob question.

Whats the difference between the USA SPEC PA11-TOY and the PA12-TOY? I just got the Peripheral one... it charges, able to use cd player's controls, and turns off when I get out. But the sound quality is of barely any better than an FM transmitter. I have to turn it up to about 55+ to get a decent volume on 80% of the songs. And when the volume is that high, it gets a tad bit staticky. So... whats the best i can get for $100-$150?

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
NVM, I flipped the #6 dip switch to "ON" and it is indeed 30% louder!! Woopieeeeee!!

·
Super White Taco
2005 Tacoma
817 Posts
viet2100 said:
Hey guys, sorry for a noob question.

Whats the difference between the USA SPEC PA11-TOY and the PA12-TOY? I just got the Peripheral one... it charges, able to use cd player's controls, and turns off when I get out. But the sound quality is of barely any better than an FM transmitter. I have to turn it up to about 55+ to get a decent volume on 80% of the songs. And when the volume is that high, it gets a tad bit staticky. So... whats the best i can get for $100-$150?
PA12 shows song titles on HU display.

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
noladude said:
PA12 shows song titles on HU display.
Thanks noladude.

·
Team Player
102 Posts
need some wiring pics on the cuttin the yellow wire and stuff anybody got any instructions??

·
Registered
182 Posts
ipod2car, If I can do the install...anyone can!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts