Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: I have a 2010 Tacoma. I notice that volume doesn't get very loud at its max. It also changes depending on the device I have plugged. I plugged my iPod in today and both were at the max and it wasn't very loud. I would think that a car stereo at max level would blow you out of the vehicle. Is there anything available that I could connect to the head unit that would allow for more power and a louder sound? Or am I going to have to live with it or change out the whole unit. The sound is ok if my mother or my wife is with me, but when I'm alone I like it louder. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :dunno:

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,027 Posts
You're always supposes to set the iPod to max volume when using the 3.5mm jack. As far as max volume on the factory radio, I totally agree with you. I posted once before that when I was on the freeway with the window down and the pavement is rough with a center wall, the road noise is so loud that sometimes I couldn't hear the stereo and the volume was on Max. In contrast, I have to keep the volume low on my aftermarket stereo because it's max volume is very high! I actually have no idea how loud it can get. Would it blow the speakers before my ear drums? Don't want to find out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quick solution...put your ear closer to the speaker. LOL

Seriously, I've had the same complaint. I don't blast the radio, but if the windows are down I really can't hear it like I'd like too.

I've been thinking about upgrading to that Pioneer App 2 radio anyway. It synchs up with your smartphone to put your smartphone screen onto the stereo screen. It does all the stuff you'd want it too, plus. And it can always be updated as technology grows.

Haven't got it yet because I'm short on installation time, but maybe sometime during the summer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Seriously, I've had the same complaint. I don't blast the radio, but if the windows are down I really can't hear it like I'd like too.

I've been thinking about upgrading to that Pioneer App 2 radio anyway. It synchs up with your smartphone to put your smartphone screen onto the stereo screen. It does all the stuff you'd want it too, plus. And it can always be updated as technology grows.

Haven't got it yet because I'm short on installation time, but maybe sometime during the summer.
Thanks! I did want other features on my radio, maybe that would be the solution. I guess I would need to replace the speakers as well. I am assuming that if the radio sound sucks and can only be so loud then the speakers must suck too. :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Thanks! I did want other features on my radio, maybe that would be the solution. I guess I would need to replace the speakers as well. I am assuming that if the radio sound sucks and can only be so loud then the speakers must suck too. :lol:
Not necessarily. They do suck from the stock stereo, but if you search other posts you'll find a vast improvement just by going aftermarket on the HU. But them I'm not a sound nut (no offense to those that have better/more distinguished hearing than me).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried to adjust the iPod. IIRC, there is a setting on there that regulates output volume to external sources. Maybe that has been turned down.

Ok I give up, what is IIRC and where do I find it? I looked in "Settings" under music and general on my iTouch and iPhone, also looked under phone on my iPhone. Is it an app that I need add? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Ok I give up, what is IIRC and where do I find it? I looked in "Settings" under music and general on my iTouch and iPhone, also looked under phone on my iPhone. Is it an app that I need add? :dunno:
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

I don't recall seeing a setting like that on my iPods or iPhone. If he knows of something else it will have to wait, as he's offline until next week. But you should have the volume on the device set to max.

·
Registered
05 Taco 4dr long bed
66 Posts
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

I don't recall seeing a setting like that on my iPods or iPhone. If he knows of something else it will have to wait, as he's offline until next week. But you should have the volume on the device set to max.
On my ipod and my wifes ipod touch the is a max volume setting. Look in the settings menu and adjust it to max. It limits the overall output volume and works in conjunction with the reg volume.

Also +1 on changing the radio. I was going to change my radio and the speakers, but after changing the radio to a cheap hi powered unit (25watt x4) I found myself pretty happy with the sound. So I would try changing that first and if your still not happy you can always add speakers later......................Dan

·
Registered
Tacoma PreRunner V6
1,601 Posts
My iPod adapter tricks my factory head unit into thinking my iPod is a CD changer, the volume is pretty good, windows down I'm usually somewhere from 30-45 most of the time, if I'm really blasting it I'll go up to the mid 50s. I've only maxed it out maybe once or twice, and that was on songs that I knew where recorded at a lower volume than the rest of the music I have.

I just ordered a JVC KD-X40, can't wait to see how it sounds in comparison with my stock unit.

What quality music are you playing through the iPod? Low bit rate or low recording volume may make your stereo quieter than on other tracks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ha, thats what you think. I'm allready past 50. LOL I can still hear what you say, I just can't remember it after you say it. :D .............................Dan :cool:

I'm passed 50 as well and my hearing is fine, but my wife doesn't think so. She thinks I cannot hear her when she says something, because I ask what did you say or I don't answer because I am ignoring her. :naughty:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I've looked into the Pioneer App 2 radio. One thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have a CD player. It also doesn't support every app on your iPhone, but I could live without all apps on my radio. I'm looking at other options for double DIN as long as it supports my iPhone and iPod, CD or DVD, better sound, Bluetooth and AUX input for my satelite radio. :eek:

·
Registered
05 Taco 4dr long bed
66 Posts
I'm looking at other options for double DIN as long as it supports my iPhone and iPod, CD or DVD, better sound, Bluetooth and AUX input for my satelite radio. :eek:
If you find a single din unit you like, you could get an installation kit for single din instead of a double. The kit I used just puts a small storage cubby under the radio that holds a couple cd's and still looks very nice. I believe the one I used was made by scosche. Sometimes it's a lot cheaper and easier to find a single din radio that you like as opposed to only a double din. Good luck..............................Dan :cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the same problem, crappy volume...no way to keep the radio and improve the volume? How about a small amplifier? Is there a fancier radio for bigger SR5 packages? I have a 2012, one up from base with cruise and delay wipers, b/u camera.. What's with that. My 03 vw only goes to half before you have to run away from it.

I've been running power tools chainsaws and mowers all my life...I need more volume! :help:

·
Banned
116 Posts
There's a couple of reasons why the OEM will want to limit the volume of the radio on vehicles they sell;

1) Excessive volume, especially over longer time periods and in enclosed spaces, can cause significant damage to your ears.
2) Excessive volume can overpower the sounds coming into the vehicle and make it difficult to recognize when you're approaching a potentially dangerous situation -- i.e., can you hear the horn of that semi with brakes out about to run you over?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I just bought a 2015 tocoma and i have to run the volume up to around 45 just to hear it. at 20-30ish sounds very low on FM XM CD so iam thinking a problem with raido Have to have them check it out when i hit service Its only 1 hr or so away from me

Rob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.