Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Double
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory remote start shuts off in order to enter the vehicle. Is this correct, and you have to restart it when you get in?

2007 doublecab SR5 5.7l

·
Registered
30 Posts
crah said:
My factory remote start shuts off in order to enter the vehicle. Is this correct, and you have to restart it when you get in?

2007 doublecab SR5 5.7l

Yes thats how it works.
It also cuts off after 10 minutes.
Also cuts off if hood is opened, door or any lights.

Safety, so people dont get their cars stolen.

I thought it was odd, thought you had to turn the car off then restart it to go
after it warms up. But after you think about it.. I like the way it is.
Better to be inconvenienced than to find out your 40K Crewmax has been stolen.

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Yeah, kind of a bummer, but what can you do. I didn't get the OEM factory start for that reason (and the fact that you have to be pretty close to use it). In this rare case, I would go aftermarket (against my religion! :D).

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is not how it SHOULD work

The oem toyota remote engine start does work that way, but all other remote start systems allow you to get in your vehicle and drive away without shutting it down. And NO, there is no way someone can "jump in" and drive away with your car! The system should allow you to unlock and open the door, put the key in and turn it on to drive away. But, if you press the brake pedal before turning ther key on, it shuts down! Also, the remote start does NOT unlock the steering, so unless they have your keys, nobody is driving your car away.

I am trying to get the OEM start system to work properly and have started a thread on ScionLife to invite collaboration to make this happen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I feel the same

Why I paid for the OEM Toyota Remote Start to be installed after I purchased my truck is beyond me! I should have done my research and learned how when compared to aftermarket remote start systems the Toyota system is a joke. What a waste of fuel and time to have to kill the engine and restart upon entering. This is rediculous! I wish I would have gone aftermarket. Hell...if I could uninstall and sell the OEM I would and replace it with an aftermarket system! Toyota dropped the ball on this!

·
Banned
0 Posts
The oem toyota remote engine start does work that way, but all other remote start systems allow you to get in your vehicle and drive away without shutting it down. And NO, there is no way someone can "jump in" and drive away with your car! The system should allow you to unlock and open the door, put the key in and turn it on to drive away. But, if you press the brake pedal before turning ther key on, it shuts down! Also, the remote start does NOT unlock the steering, so unless they have your keys, nobody is driving your car away.

I am trying to get the OEM start system to work properly and have started a thread on ScionLife to invite collaboration to make this happen.
+1

That is the way my factory remote start works. It allows me to enter the vehicle without shutting down. But you MUST insert the key to get the steering to unlock and/or put it in gear.

Awesome system. The range is mediocre (about 200 ft max), but there is now an extended range 2-way remote available for about $200.

·
Registered
182 Posts
One of they few real complaints I have about my Tundra is the factory remote start.

I have had remote starts for better than 15 years and this is the stupidest system I have ever seen.

In my last truck I would start the truck, it would run for up to 10 min. and at any point during that time I could unlock the door and get in the truck with it still running. I didn't need to put the key in until I was ready to drive. The truck couldn't be stolen, it wouldn't go anywhere without the key in the ignition.

Our truck is just set up stupid and this can’t involve more than a few lines of code to fix.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Toyota should offer a much better remote start factory system. They're really upside down on this issue. There is one remote start system that uses one's cell phone to start your vehicle. ANYWHERE that has cell phone coverage. You can start your vehicle half way around the world if you so desire. My woman friend has it and it's fantastic. About $100/yr after the initial $400 cost.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Stupid indeed

I even went as far as to call the hotline listed on the tag that came with the remote for starting the truck. When talking with the tech, I pointed out that it was kind of silly, not to mention the extra wear and tear on the starter. That now has to start the vehicle twice instead of once...to which the tech said that in all their testing the durability of the starter was never in question...aka they don't care!

05TRDSport4

·
Stupid is stupid does
5,554 Posts
just to think I was going to buy the OEM starter.. thanks to this thread I will pass :thumbsdow

Does any1 have any advice on what midrange system to get ? They all seem to be intergrated alarm systems too. I know back in the day viper/python was good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cliford?

I had an 99 Taco that I put a Cliford Solaris system in. Worked well, in fact it's still working as my mother owns the truck now. Replaced the remote batteries a few times, and had to pull the fuses out in order to reset the thing at home once or twice, but other than that, no problems really.

Here is the link to their newest system, sounds very similar to a lot of the features the Solaris had, just with upgraded technology to give the remote longer range, 2 way communication, etc.... Knowing what I know now about the OEM, I'd have rather spent the money on this. However with the OEM, if it fails, etc...it's warrantied with the extended coverage I got. Not to mention that if you do get an issue with starter or anything linked to a system like this, most dealers wont touch it until the system is off or removed. Just something to think about.

Hope this helps,
05TRDS...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I supposedly had a factory installed remote start on my 08 and 2010 Tundra's. The 08 worked great it was in a TRD. It reached a very long distance and worked thru walls. The one they put on my 2010 was garbage! Would have to go in several times a year to have the key fobs reprogrammed and reset. Now after about 7 years of operation it has stopped working all together. The dealer charges each time they have to fix it or reprogram it.. I believe they cut into my wiring harness to install it and have had nothing but problems with electrical issue's with this truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts