Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
AKN
2019 Avalon Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Avalon that is rarely driven, about 12,000 miles. To maintain factory warranty when does this vehicle need servicing ? Is it based on mileage or time ? I hope mileage, that would make most sense.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
2,423 Posts
I have a 2019 Avalon that is rarely driven, about 12,000 miles. To maintain factory warranty when does this vehicle need servicing ? Is it based on mileage or time ? I hope mileage, that would make most sense.
You might want to check out the Warranty and Maintenance Guide on Toyota's website. It's towards the bottom of the page under the various manual downloads. A copy should have also been included when the car was purchased (new). You can download a copy and it includes the maintenance schedule.

Reactions: cb91710

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm not sure if you're referring to ToyotaCare (2 years/25,000 miles, whichever occurs first), which is the complimentary free maintenance, or the Basic Warranty (36 months/36,000 miles, whichever occurs first) aka "Bumper to Bumper", or the Powertrain Warranty (60 months/60,000 miles, whichever occurs first). Either way, the "whichever occurs first" rule comes into play regardless of your mileage.

According to this Edmunds article, a manufacturer can void the warranty (either Basic or Powertrain) if it is evident the vehicle was not maintained properly. Hope that answers your questions.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Why did you NOT read the Maintenance/Warranty booklet?! That is a legally binding document, and ALL manufactures would deny you any powertrain warranty claims due to your WILLFUL failure to properly maintain the vehicle. Ignorance/Stupidity is not a pass.

Post 3 says is clearly and plainly. Hopefully you now understand: whichever comes first: time or mileage.

You should still read the Warranty Manual to understand what is and is NOT a covered.

In two years, you only drove 12k miles, ~ 6k miles/year? Maybe just rent a car as you need it? Might be cheaper long run? There are those car share programs that are similar to VBRO. Instead of a house/condo/townhome, it’s someones spare/rarely used car.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,544 Posts
Service intervals are 5000/10000 miles or 6 months/1 year, whichever comes first.
With only 12,000 on a 2019, I would hope that you are doing your oil changes at 5,000 or 1 year.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,544 Posts
I bought my 2020 Avalon 18 months ago, and today it only has about 6600 miles. Some of us drive every day but not very far. Like my other low-mileage cars, I service them once a year.
That is the most stressful on the engine and lubrication systems.
Oil and coolant need to get up to full operating temperature and maintained there for a period of time or condensation and combustion acids will build up.
I'm a big fan of the newer 10,000 mile oil change intervals... but I also drive 100 miles nearly every day.
My wife averages 5,000 a year, so she gets an oil change once a year. I'd go every 6 months, but she does get out on the highway for a 100 mile run every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Regardless of servicing, as has been already pointed out, it is “3 years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first”.
Meaning - it can never be more than 3 years, but it can be LESS if you drive a lot.
In your case it will be 3 years, meaning- some time next year your warranty expires, whether you drive it or not, whether you service it or not.
Regarding servicing and miles - that actually depends. Some things need to be serviced regardless of mileage, others based on mileage only. But since you have less than a year left I would not worry about it too much. Not unless it’s already broken.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Where is the online service schedule? I can't seem to put my hand on it.
Beyond oil/filter changes, there isn't really much else they require, in the first 100k, right? The OP will never hit 100k, so I'd simply save receipts and log the tasks that were completed.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,544 Posts
Where is the online service schedule? I can't seem to put my hand on it.
Beyond oil/filter changes, there isn't really much else they require, in the first 100k, right? The OP will never hit 100k, so I'd simply save receipts and log the tasks that were completed.

The attachments are for the Avalon Hybrid, but you can get anything from that site.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm registered there. I just can't find a schedule. From that link, you put in mileage, and items to complete are listed.
I an download it, but it only shows these items below for 10k miles.
Someone above mentioned the "severe" service schedule - where is the link to that? (and is it a true schedule, vs suggested maintenance tasks?)
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Car

1 - 15 of 15 Posts