Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Slightly Insane
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today on one of my wheels that there was a couple of bubbled up areas on the paint. Under closer inspection it appears that the paint is started to flake off! My truck is going on 5 years old so I'm wondering if this is normal and if anyone else has experienced this happening?

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
Not normal unless you count the number of people that it's happened to (if it's happening to 5% or 10%, is that normal?). Still not supposed to happen, but...

Just do a search for "bubbling" or "blistering" and you'll get lots of hits over the years. The 17" Sport wheels commonly do this, the 16" OR wheels do it too but it's not as common. But it still happens...especially to those back east where salt is heavily used in the winter.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I used a aluminum wheel colored spray paint from Auto Zome to touch mine up and they came out fine.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,699 Posts
My '06 wheels pealed like that, the dealer is well aware of the problem. They refinished mine for me at no cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yup, me too.

Toyota quality has sucked since 05, my next vehicle will be a Suzuki or Subaru. They seem to care about quality. Toyota buried thier heads in sand over too many issues. Not a company that cares.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
Yup, me too.

Toyota quality has sucked since 05, my next vehicle will be a Suzuki or Subaru. They seem to care about quality. Toyota buried thier heads in sand over too many issues. Not a company that cares.
And you are complaining about Toyota now :facepalm: ....just wait until you purchase a Susucki!!!

The truck is five years old for crying out loud! Wear and tear happens.....

To the OP, just take this as an opportunity to upgrade! I see a new set of rims in your future!

·
Registered
9 Posts
And you are complaining about Toyota now :facepalm: ....just wait until you purchase a Susucki!!!

The truck is five years old for crying out loud! Wear and tear happens.....

To the OP, just take this as an opportunity to upgrade! I see a new set of rims in your future!
I wish the wheels were my only issue.
Squealing windshield.
Paint chipping on bed.
Knocking body mounts.
$3000 air conditioner repair.
Should I go on....

16,000 miles on truck,well maintained. I am hoping the piece of crap holds up for at least another 16,000.
The only thing Toyota reluctantly fixed under warranty was the body mount knocking.

Right now even Kia seems better than Toyota.

And I hope anybody even thinking of getting screwed by Toyota is listening.

·
Slightly Insane
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies and the links. It sucks that this is a major problem!! Next time I am at the dealer I will mention it but they probably won't do anything about it since my truck is over 4 years old.

What size are the wheels on the pre-runners by the way? I may look into upgrading my wheels at some point but would like to keep the same size that are on it now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts