Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Toy Newb
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought this truck from my sister, and I knew it wasn't going to pass inspection here in Texas as it was. So, I replaced the cracked exhaust manifold with a nice LC Engineering header. Replaced the missing corner marker. Replaced the wipers. Replaced the o2 sensor.
So...I figure she's ready. Take her to get inspected this morning, and they fail it because the right rear hub is wet. Looks like brake fluid or axle/gear oil. After looking at it myself, I'm guessing it's a leaking axle seal. Is this easy to tackle on the 2wd?
I'm about to do a search...just had to post here cuz I'm a little frustrated right now... :(
*sigh*

·
Toy Newb
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm...after a little digging, it looks like most of the mystery fluid is on the outside face of the drum. Is this more likely to be the brake wheel cylinder? Or could the axle leak get out that far? Seems like that would be on the inside face of the assembly?
thanks all...
*sigh*

·
Registered
1989 Pickup 4WD
586 Posts
Wheel cylinders are super easy to work on! Do you know how to disassemble and reassemble drum brakes?

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
The hardest part is going to be beating the [email protected] out of the brake drum to get it off. Just be sure you go on the backside & back off the pads with the adjustment screw before you start (like a [email protected]$$, I did NOT do this first)!

·
Registered
94 toyota pickup
172 Posts
yeah, here in TX they are a bit picky, but I dont think they need to do a "smog" test like in CA they wouldn't finish the inspection on my truck because it had a cracked tale light. they couldn't have finished and told me that so I didn't have to go all the way back there?:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts