Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does this look like? Did the strut mount fail?

As you can see in the photo, it has started drilling a hole into the hood, which has now (as of today) formed a small dent visible on the exterior. I feel like if it punches a hole all the way through, my car may end up sitting on the wheel?

Any ideas how this may have happened? I know that the o-shaped lower control arm bushing on that side is dead. The rubber is completely shredded and the metal is just clanking around there. Could that have caused this?

I'm going to start working on it today and see what my options are in buying a new strut mount (if that's the issue) locally.

Any advice and opinions on the matter are greatly appreciated. I won't be driving this vehicle until the issue is resolved.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Did you hit a mega pothole or something?

Strut mount definitely a toast, strut is likely salvageable. The mounts go for $25-50/ea for A/M ones, so just get at least the failed side. Be very careful during removal, as the front springs are under a LOT of tension.

As always with suspension components, it is recommended to replace them in pairs - left and right - as the other side is likely in similar failure-prone condition.

·
イリジウム
14,760 Posts
Yes, it almost looked like a pothole sent the strut rod through the rubber mount, even if the mount has a metal flange within the rubber.

Is this one of the KYB mounts you installed years back? KYB also makes the OEM Toyota mounts, so not sure if they're really any different as far as specs go. Take a picture and file a warranty claim. See what KYB (aka, Keep Your Bilsteins) says. IMO KYB makes cheap stuff, but some people did fine with their GR2 struts.

There's a strut bumper right? I wonder if it's still in good shape. Maybe the problem is with the strut, maybe the rod didn't compress like it should. That would send it through the rubber over a pothole. Dunno.

Since you're having problems, go with OEM next time. You can PM (send a private message, under "Contact Info" tab in the link below) ToyotaPartsMan if you want to buy genuine Toyota parts. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/219261-toyopartsman.html

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, this is the same part from the big project years ago. If I listed KYB for my mounts, then that's what I still have.

As always when it comes to me and car problems, time is of the essence. This is my only means of transportation, and even more unfortunately... a weekend is approaching, which complicates ordering anything.

I can push the rod all the way through the mount now. Is the end of the rod supposed to look like this? Does anything appear off?

·
イリジウム
14,760 Posts
The strut rod under the nut looks well worn from repeated rubbing against some metal in the mount. So the rod is weakened and may eventually break. So the strut is a goner as well.

If time is of essence, maybe pick up two Monroe Quick Struts with OESpectrum struts and install them. Ending today there's still some deal going. $60 for 2 or $120 for 4:
http://www.monroe.com/en-US/promotions/

The advantage of Monroe Quick Struts is their lifetime warranty. If things go wrong, just remove and take it back to the store for swaps. That's why for somethings it's better to buy locally.

With the parts removed then you can file a warranty claim for the mount. Not sure about the strut however. If you try to push the strut rod back in, I wonder if it'll go almost all the way back in like it should.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a side note, I can push the strut rod down with my hand, but it slowly creeps back up. So the rod itself did not seize.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two Monroe Quick Strut assemblies would cost $289.98+tax from Advance Auto with their 15% off coupon. This promotion from Monroe says you get a $90 visa gift card with the purchase of two shocks and two quick strut assemblies. That's the only one that would work for me, and this car doesn't use shocks.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Two Monroe Quick Strut assemblies would cost $289.98+tax from Advance Auto with their 15% off coupon. This promotion from Monroe says you get a $90 visa gift card with the purchase of two shocks and two quick strut assemblies. That's the only one that would work for me, and this car doesn't use shocks.
Purchase them online and pick up tomorrow in store. Use coupon code P20 and you'll get 20% off (up to $50 off).

Reactions: zzyzzx

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't afford to spend $300... especially on this car. I think I'll just replace the mount. I can order one with Amazon Prime for a bit over $50 and have it by Friday.

Question: how do people feel about Raybestos, Moog, or Monroe, comparing it to KYB? Specifically regarding the mount. They're all similarly priced.

·
イリジウム
14,760 Posts
You're right about the discount. BTW, the strut rod should be able to retract nearly to the threaded part. If it retracts but still stick out several inches then that may be the reason.

Anyway, I don't think the existing strut will be able to mount securely to the new mount because of the wear. These should be replaced in pairs, but how about ONE Quick Strut at $122 from Amazon (171678/171679??), actually $11 cheaper than one strut ($78) plus one mount ($55) and you have some new parts leftover if you swap in the Eibach spring looking at your old post. Can they get it to you by Friday as well?

Parts warranty on Amazon may vary however.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The rod does push in all the way down. Doesn't stick out at all.

ugh... yeah I saw that assembly on Amazon as well and it caught my eye. And yes, I can get that by Friday through Amazon Prime.. for free.

·
イリジウム
14,760 Posts
Sounds like the problem may be just with the shoddy KYB mount then. The nut appears to be correctly tightened with a few threads showing, but hard to tell in the picture unless it's still loose. For some reason the metal bushing in the rubber wore out and damaged the strut rod as well.

I don't know how the new Monroe OESpectrum strut compares to the other side's otherwise excellent Tokico as far as ride matching. But Monroe mount should be ok. By buy the Quick Strut you'll get an additional standard spring, some rubber insulators and a strut bumper for $11 cheaper than just a mount and strut separately.

I think the original mount design was just crappy, especially with the weak bushing in the mount rubber.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What angers me about this is that all of the other components are good. Eibach springs... all of the rubber stuff was replaced. I think I even went OEM for some of the small stuff. Also, the Eibach springs lower the car a little. I'd have to put that spring onto the Monroe strut to even it out.

I'm really tempted to see if I can get away with just replacing the mount. I understand what you mean about the strut rod possibly not seating properly... but... *sigh*

·
Administrator
14,394 Posts
Haux, here's what the strut shaft should look like, below. Those flats mate into a slot in the underside of the mount. The flats on yours are completely gone. I don't think the nut will ever tighten up before the threads run out.

·
イリジウム
14,760 Posts
Yeah that really sucks. You have a nice setup there. But because of the severe wear on the strut rod, it's going to be moving in the new mount bushing/collar as well, and eventually wear that out too and then poking through to hit the hood again.

Nice picture just in time, BMR! I was wondering if the problem was with the bushing/collar's cutout where the strut rod fits. If they're not aligned maybe they rock back and forth over time and wear each other out. Dunno. IMO this design kinda sucks, even KYB, Monroe and Gabriel factory workers have problems with it on their complete assemblies.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the picture. I was actually trying to find a closeup of the rod end so I can see what it's supposed to look like. Well this fucking blows. I wonder if I can harass Tokico for a replacement under their lifetime warranty even though this wasn't the strut's fault. Or maybe it was the strut's fault. *cough* Yeah... I'll go with that.

Well, fuck. I guess I don't have much of a choice now.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm trying to find the part number for the front passenger side Tokico strut. I might just replace the strut and get a mount.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Tokico-HB3184-Front-Toyota-Avalon/dp/B006MCHSXM/[/ame]

Amazon says it doesn't fit a 2000 Camry, but their fitment thingy may be off. Another website listed this as the correct part number for this generation of Camry.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.