Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New to Corolla's but not to Toyota's. Just picked up a 2017 Corolla SE with 20k on it. The day I went to pick it up at Hudson Toyota (never buying from them again) they waited 2 hours to tell me it was having starting issues and it was now being looked at by a tech. I waited another hour for any sort of answer of what was going on and then demanded them to give me my car so I could take it to my local dealer. Two days later, I experience the same issue first hand. Originally it fires right up, then shuts down and just cranks.

I call my local dealership and bring it to them (it magically started ten minutes later) and now it's there for diagnosis. Extremely frustrated due to Hudson Toyota straight up hiding the issue from me instead of being upfront. Anyone else experience this? Apparently it's happened before to this car and they replaced the ECU under the certification process.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Defective battery that won't hold a charge or defective charging system (alternator or wire problem) ? If they had you waiting for 2 hours, maybe they "addressed" the problem by charging the battery but without assessing the cause... Definitely a good choice to go to another dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do. So far the update us the dealer either put in the wrong ECU or did not finish fully programming the ECU. They will update me on Monday once they dig in more.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,567 Posts
Did you test drive the car? Seems like more of an issue if you bought the car without test driving it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was this a Certifed Pre-Owned car?
Yup CPO with only 20k on it so not only do I still have remaining new car warranty but I have the CPO warranty as well.

Did you test drive the car? Seems like more of an issue if you bought the car without test driving it.
Yes I test drove the car. It started fine when I took a look at it. It also started fine again when I asked them to bring it into the service entry so I could fully inspect it under bright lighting since I was originally taking a look at it at night.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the car back and it's starting as expected. Couldn't be happier with my local dealership for fixing another dealers mistake. No part replacements needed, apparently the other dealer did not properly finish recalibration of the ECU when they first replaced it. They re-initialized the ECU, and performed a 0 point calibration of the acceleration sensor. So far so good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for update.
Question, ID box as in immobilizer system?
I believe it's the ID box for the smart key system but I could be wrong. It has no aftermarket alarm immobilizer system installed as far as I know. I can look at the paperwork and get the specific details if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another update because I feel it was related. I had the starter fail on me, at only 31k. I believe this is due to the original ID box issue. I think since the car was running the starter but the care wouldn't let it turn on (because of the ID box issue) it prematurely made the starter fail. Thankfully it was under warranty and is being replaced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts