Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody have preference on fan clutch since the prices are all over the map. Mine is starting to tighten up. Fan is tight and getting noisy when I increase the rpm.
Fan sure feels like it's engaged when the truck isn't running. Won't even complete one rotation if I attempt to spin it, maybe a third of a rotation?
No temp issues!

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
Release the tension off of the fan belt. Grab the fan and see if it will wiggle in any direction. You might even be able to spin it and see if it makes any noise. If there is any side to side movement, the bearing is toast. ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
How to take the fan clutch apart. ;)

Reactions: PreHistoricTundra

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
This person was able to rotate the timing belt cover on the upper hose without draining any coolant to replace his cooling fan bracket. ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
BTW, when was the last time you changed out the idler rollers and/or the water pump? It could be those as well if they haven't been replaced during the last timing belt replacement. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info BAM, I did the front end of the motor at the beginning of the year, maybe 5k miles ago maximum! Hit the 200k make last xmas so did the whole shabang at one time. Radiator,pump, rollers,belts etc.
Except the bracket and fan clutch ( of course) :)
Used to do fan clutch replacement almost daily years ago while working in a radiator shop.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
Just in case yer curious (like the rest of us), the bearing is not replaceable without destroying the bracket. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your right I was thinking that but WOW! Silly disposable society :(
BZP, with all the T100 miles you have experienced have you done either the bracket or clutch ? More than once?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
Your right I was thinking that but WOW! Silly disposable society :(
BZP, with all the T100 miles you have experienced have you done either the bracket or clutch ? More than once?
I got my 1998 T-100 with just over 306,000 miles on her. I now have just over 540,000. I don't believe the bracket has been replaced before I bought her. I did replace the fan clutch some time after I had temp issues but it didn't resolve it because the issue was from the jiggle valve at the 12 o'clock position instead of the 6 o'clock position. My temps were running in the 200°F+ range during normal driving. After the last timing belt change at the dealership, my temps were running in the 200+ range again. I pulled the thermostat housing and rotated the jiggle valve to the proper position and poof! My temps were in the 186°F range during normal driving. ;)

I am gitting a squeak/rumble during the morning start up so I might have to look at that bracket in the near future. ;)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I got my 1998 T-100 with just over 306,000 miles on her. I now have just over 540,000. I don't believe the bracket has been replaced before I bought her. I did replace the fan clutch some time after I had temp issues but it didn't resolve it because the issue was from the jiggle valve at the 12 o'clock position instead of the 6 o'clock position. My temps were running in the 200°F+ range during normal driving. After the last timing belt change at the dealership, my temps were running in the 200+ range again. I pulled the thermostat housing and rotated the jiggle valve to the proper position and poof! My temps were in the 186°F range during normal driving. ;)

I am gitting a squeak/rumble during the morning start up so I might have to look at that bracket in the near future. ;)
Are you able to distinguish between the bracket bearing squeak rumble and potential bracket failure and the release bearing on the clutch bearing the end of it's journey??
... Truck has 194k original miles original clutch that's not slipping out of gear yet,...,...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
1,076 Posts
When thermo fan clutch on my old Cressida went out, replaced it with an electric fan, plus water-temp sensitive switch to control it. Less expense, equal function.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
I know these listings are using the part number fer the entire assembly as just fer the bracket, part number 16307-62011. ;)

Reactions: 97tacomaHA

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I know these listings are using the part number fer the entire assembly as just fer the bracket, part number 16307-62011. ;)

You are able to get the fan fluid coupler separate from the assembly. I don't understand why bracket just the bracket is not the same!?

How do you even test the bracket bearing and see what health it is in?
I've been told before you will hear a noise

1 - 16 of 16 Posts