Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Toyota Camry xle and the fans come on as soon as I turn key to the on position and stay on after started changed all temp sensors even the one in radiator and relays still the fans stay on

·
Registered
821 Posts
Are you using either your defrost or AC? That would turn the fans on. Defrost automatically uses AC btw.

Reactions: Wll

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm new to this forum and don't know how it works sorry
Are you using either your defrost or AC? That would turn the fans on. Defrost automatically uses AC btw.
thanks for the info but no everything is turned off

·
Registered
821 Posts
Is your fan unplugged then? If so they will run at all times. It's a fail safe.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Check the fuse and relay for them. Fan systems are very simple on cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced all relays and fuses are good I'm stumped don't know what else to do

·
Registered
354 Posts
WII, you need to get ahold of the wiring diagram for your car and start tracing down the fan system. There is a switch, a relay or a broken wire that is calling for the fan to be energized. All the advise that has been provided to this point is spot on accurate for known common rad fan issues. You have indicated you have replaced all the relays and fuses. You haven't indicated if you have verified the coolant temp sensors or switch are within allowable tolerances. Start with a wiring diagram for your car and a Volt, Ohm Meter (VOM) as you are going to need it to trouble shoot the remainder of your components or you are going to have to keep firing the parts cannon at your car until you find the offending part(s). The good news is every part that you have replaced can be eliminated from the possible causes of your problem. There are several Youtube videos for inspiration regarding why rad fans will run all the time. Generally the electrical systems for most modern cars function materially the same way. Meaning causation con overlap between may makes and models.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
799 Posts
The sensor in the radiator is either shot, or unplugged.
Odd though it may seem, if the sensor is unplugged (or open), the fans run all the time.
Sensor is center-bottom of the radiator.

·
イリジウム
13,344 Posts
Yes, if the relay isn't stuck ON, then the fan switch on the bottom of the radiator is where I'll check next. If there's a break in the wire going to that switch, or if the connector is disconnected, or if the switch is bad (no continuity), then the fan will run.

Since the fan is running, the radiator fan fuse must be good.

In this video, the switch with the white connector to the right of the hose he's trying to remove is the fan switch. There should be continuity below about 194F. A quick ohm reading should tell you - if it's cold and the switch has no continuity (which makes the fan run), then replace it.

If you're not familiar with working on a car, find a friend who's willing to help. There are basic precautions like moving engine parts, hot exhaust, etc, to be aware of.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,076 Posts
changed all temp sensors even the one in radiator and relays still the fans stay on
I replaced all relays and fuses are good ...
You may have a broken wire from the bottom rad temp switch. Remove the connector and jump the pins inside with a paper clip. See if the fans stop running.

Also use a volt meter to check for voltage at the temp switch pins. Try both as I cannot say which one is power. You can ground black meter lead to body/engine ground.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Lots of good advice here. Did you check if your temperature switch at the bottom of your radiator is plugged in or not? If plugged in, disconnect the wiring harness, then reconnect to see if that makes a difference. If not, check if that wiring harness his broken somewhere. Otherwise, check the fan relays for your car. You should have junction boxes under the hood that have covers that would show you your fan relays.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice from everyone I'm going to probably take it to the shop

1 - 16 of 16 Posts