camry 96
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know what the fastest stock supra is jdm or usdm

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Actually, I would disagree.

The 2001 RZ (Uk Spec) was spec'd at: 272hp, and ~330ft-lbs of torque.
Compared to:
The 1998 US Spec MkIV at ~330hp, and ~330ft-lbs of torque.

Now, torque is the primary factor, but at the same time, the RZ was detuned slightly. While I've not done any reseach into it, I'd believe the VVTi in part to blame for the power loss. There has to be a reason no one wants VVTi motors to make power from, my guess? They're a pain in the azz to tune.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jeeves said:
Actually, I would disagree.

The 2001 RZ (Uk Spec) was spec'd at: 272hp, and ~330ft-lbs of torque.
Compared to:
The 1998 US Spec MkIV at ~330hp, and ~330ft-lbs of torque.

Now, torque is the primary factor, but at the same time, the RZ was detuned slightly. While I've not done any reseach into it, I'd believe the VVTi in part to blame for the power loss. There has to be a reason no one wants VVTi motors to make power from, my guess? They're a pain in the azz to tune.
There was no UK spec RZ. The RZ = Japanese spec Twin Turbo, 326bhp, 315lbs-ft of torque. The US spec was the same as the UK spec. The VVTi motor is actually 0.1 second quicker to 60, and 0.1 second quicker over the 1/4 mile. As for a pain to tune, the fastest Supra in the UK is a VVTi at 800bhp and 10.6 seconds.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Well, That's why I own a Mk3 and not a 4.

But, even then, that's not all that much... at least not enough to justify "The Uk and US spec Supras were quite girly compared to the Jap spec RZ."

the fastest Supra in the UK is a VVTi at 800bhp and 10.6 seconds.
That's it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Youre forgetting, Import tuning is a relatively new concept over here. The fastest cars are Skylines that run 9s, and Supras that should be running 8s/9s but cant get traction.

And I stand by my original statement. The US and UK specs are quite girly compared to the Jap spec RZ. 272bhp compared with 326bhp. Not to mention 60 in the late 5s early 6s compared with late 4s early 5s.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
What are you saying came with only 272bhp? The USDM MkIV came with well over 300.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Actually, you stated the UK spec came with 272bhp. Considering the UK and US spec are exactly the same, I took your numbers.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
I mean the other spec, I figured this :UK == RZ == JDM. I've been informed that this is incorrect by a friend who knows the Mk4's MUCH better than myself.

The USDM (Includes the UK appearantly) got 550cc injectors, steel turbos good to 450+hp, and a 'smarter' ECU while JDM cars had 440's and ceramic turbos.

[I got real numbers now]
USDM Mk4's debuted in 1993.5 with 325hp, while the JDM's debuted with 276hp.

So, by official numbers:
Rz = 276hp
US = 325hp

Yeah, the RZ (JDM) is definately stronger... sure...

As for high HP Mk4's, here's one... how does 1132rwhp sound? 1132rwhp MK4.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ben talking to a lot of guys at the MKIV owners club (including professional Supra tuners), they say the same as me. USDm and UKDM are the same car, with the exception that the UK got headlight washers and a bonnet scoop. The JDM is the most powerful, and the turbos are good for 1.2 bar.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Yes, I stated this. The UK is the same as the USDM. However, the RZ is not a UK Spec vehicle, it is JDM.

Also, the USDM specs were above that of the RZ by official documentation and unofficial. I'm waiting for you to post something other than "well, this guy says".

As for the turbos, 1.2 bar @ sea level ain't squat. I'm at 5280ft elevation and we've got several Mk4 TT'ers here, each hitting ~1.47bar.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jap spec Supra has 326bhp.

Yeah, the US spec is so much better:rolleyes:

Jeeves -
been informed by a friend who knows the Mk4's MUCH better than myself.
Id say thats a 'well this guy says' comment personally.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After talking to the owner of that 10.6 second Supra I mentioned earlier, the reason people dont like them as much is because theyre a bitch to tune.

Yes I realise thats a 'well this guy says' comment, but he knows more about this than either of us.

Here are a few more opinions from the guys from my owners club:

''with the J-spec you get a smoother early spool, and with the UK's u get the stronger kick when #2 comes online''

http://www.mkivsupra.net/bbs/

That lists the major differences.

''The only reasons for the UK spec over the Jap - Insurance, Insurance, Insurance!''

''The reason that the UK spec cars are heavier, is because they have a higher specification - electric leather seats, air conditioning, big brakes, headlight washers ''

''the U.K. car may be heavier , but it's also quieter ... ie. less road noise ''

''Both can have the basic performance stuff done to them, decat/exhaust, and both give back about the same sort of power. The small brakes are a little weedy on the imports, but decent fluid and pads fixes that.''

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
BlitzNuRspec said:
Jap spec Supra has 326bhp.

Yeah, the US spec is so much better:rolleyes:

Jeeves -

Id say thats a 'well this guy says' comment personally.
No, your statement is. I provide proof for my debates:

Alright, first off. Let's see what google has to say about 326bhp RZ supra's... Wow, all of 4 results. And the primary one that talks about 326bhp, is talking about Pre-1996 motors, before they had VVT-i. Then he goes on to speculate about how much power they could be making. But, ok, lets's look up, 280bhp supra's...
Well, now that's funny. For 280bhp I get no less than 433 results.

Oh well, that's not too conclusive... what else... oh yes, look here:
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

Scroll down a little, and lookie what we've got... a comparison chart between the "Japanese MKIV" and the "Export MKIV (American)"... now then, lets look at the info shall we?

JDM
280 hp
323 ft/lb
Export
320 hp
315 ft/lb
Well, you do have us on torque but not by anything substantial. After all, you are lacking seriously in hp. But, putting that aside as well, lets see if my "friends" info was correct...

JDM
Injectors: 430
Turbine material: Ceramic
Scroll area (mm^2): 600
A/R ratio: 0.42

Export
Injectors: 540
Turbine material: Steel
Scroll area (mm^2): 740
A/R ratio: 0.53

So, my friend was right. We've got bigger injectors, (Larger) Steel Turbos that will sustain more boost...
Hmm, see, My info wasn't all "This guy says.."

Hmm, now you're trying to prove the ride was better? :yawn: This wasn't a discussion about ride quality.
Besides that fact, the reason you get smoother, earlier spool? Smaller turbos. Simple. I never debated the same modifications couldn't be done, we're talking side-by-side stock-vs-stock here. (Though, I might add, those ceramic turbos don't like higher boost, they're smaller so they'll put out less PSI, and don't even think of doing cams on a VVTi.)

Lastly,
the reason people dont like them as much is because theyre a bitch to tune.
Holy HELL! You don't say!? What'd I guess on 'em again?
There has to be a reason no one wants VVTi motors to make power from, my guess? They're a pain in the azz to tune.
So yeah, how does the weaker RZ make the Export model look girly?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow, you really like getting things wrong dont you?

Want to know the reason the JDM Supra is quoted at 280bhp? The same reason the Skyline is quoted at 280bhp. A gentlemens agreement in Japan not to produce cars over a certain figure. Care to guess what that figure is?

Pre-1996 motors, before they had VVT-i
Wrong again. I own a 95 VVTi.

Why do you insist on talking shit? All that about ride quality? If youd have taken the time to read the reasons I posted that information...:rolleyes:

Anything else?

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
FYI: The actual quote goes:
"Back in 1996, pre-VVT Supras were 326bhp".
So, if they had vvti Congrats to them. I was just reading what was on the page. Shows how inaccurate the information from that page is.

''The only reasons for the UK spec over the Jap - Insurance, Insurance, Insurance!''

''The reason that the UK spec cars are heavier, is because they have a higher specification - electric leather seats, air conditioning, big brakes, headlight washers ''

''the U.K. car may be heavier , but it's also quieter ... ie. less road noise ''
Minus the first, those sure sound like ride quality issues. When I ride in a car, I want to me comfy, cool, and not have to hear lots of road noise.

Want to know the reason the JDM Supra is quoted at 280bhp? The same reason the Skyline is quoted at 280bhp. A gentlemens agreement in Japan not to produce cars over a certain figure. Care to guess what that figure is?
Here's a little background history for you. The 280hp limit came into effect in 1990 in response to the increasing number of traffic accidents associated with high horsepower cars. On top of that, the gentleman's agreement was formed to avoid unneccesary unlimited power races between Japanese manufactures. This same agreement was terminated 6/10 of this year.

Though, I'm glad to hear you admit you're wrong. (If you remember what this debate is about, that is). You talked yourself into a corner. The US spec Supras are more powerful. Every official number says it except the few like you who are determined to prove otherwise but never show any facts. When you can show some proof and not just "Well, my friend who runs 10.6s says..." then we'll talk, untill then it's just 'blah blah blah' out of your mouth(fingers). Just one more thing though, while you can argue that 280hp was just the stated number and that they put out more, track times don't lie:

RZ
0-100kph = 5.7s
13.80 @ 162 kph
Export
0-100kph=5.3s
13.3 @ 173 kph

Discussion over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to say this i just registered to i could say this i am from SUPRAforums.com the real supraforum but the fastest supra is very debatable stock? definatly USDM JDM has 285 not 326 NOPE Jap has higher emmisions and is downtuned to meet emmisons requirements. So far the fastest street legal supra has to me DUSTY's at MVP made a quarter in 7.98? dynoed at 1280RWPHP to the ground.

if you guys are really supra owners and real enthusiest you should consider supraforums.com much more knowledgable people and many tuners give me a PM or email if you my username there is Xutech

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.