Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys got a 98 Camry and the temperature gauge is showing as if the engine is cool when driving. I recently replaced the coolant temperature sensor and the air / fuel ratio sensor. Also something to note is the pigtail for the coolant temp sensor just slides off and doesn't clip into place. It was working normally before replacing both parts. Any ideas of why my temp gauge isn't working properly? Thanks

Edit: So I put in the old temperature sensor and the temperature gauge seems to be going where it should now. But what's weird is my engine is not hot to the touch like it would be at this temperature. I also noticed sluggish acceleration when driving earlier. I'm completely lost at this point.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,253 Posts
You need to clarify your terms. Does the engine have both a temp gauge "sender" and a engine temp "sensor" the sender will have one wire the sensor will have two wires. One runs the temp gauge, the other sends temp info to the ECU.

It was working normally before replacing both parts.
Why did you replace it then?

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
1,280 Posts
Recommend using an OBDII scanner to compare the reported Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) Sensor (2 wire, to ECU) value against the Coolant Temp. Sender (1 wire, to Gauge) reading on the gauge.

* Normally functioning dash gauge should show "normal" (middle) when coolant temp. is in the 195-215 F range.

An infrared, or IR Thermometer can also be used to verify coolant system temp. @ the thermostat housing: against the (ODBII scanner) (ECT) sensor reported value, and to verify the dash gauge is working properly. Hope the feedback helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to clarify your terms. Does the engine have both a temp gauge "sender" and a engine temp "sensor" the sender will have one wire the sensor will have two wires. One runs the temp gauge, the other sends temp info to the ECU.

Why did you replace it then?
Sorry, let me explain. My car overheated and gave codes p1130 and p0115. I replaced both the air to fuel ratio sensor and coolant temperature sensor. Since replacing both of those parts, it's not overheating and the check engine lights went away. But now my temperature gauge isn't working properly, so I swapped out the new coolant sensor with the old one. Now I'm faced with the problem that the gauge is showing normal operating temperature but the engine isn't getting very hot. I can touch the engine with the car running and not burn myself. And weirdly enough the temperature gauge is reading normally for what the operating temperature should be but the engine isn't hot like it should be. I found out the thermostat is stuck open so I'm going to replace that and I'll update to let you guys know if I figured this out.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
1,280 Posts
If the old sensor was showing "cold", -and- the Thermostat was partially stuck open, that makes sense: and I would surmise the new sensor was working properly, if here. Hoping a new Thermostat / putting the new sensor back in - fixes everything up for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts