Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the latest issue of Car and Driver, they report on a 40,000 mile test on a Tacoma. In it they complain about spongy brakes, a "floppy" suspension, and a lack of structural rigidity.

In my test drives, I noticed no such problems. Brakes were fine, suspension was firm with the TRD sport package...the way I like it, and it seemed to be as rigid as an I-beam.

I suspect they did not have the firmer suspension for their test vehicle, which explains their criticism.

Would anyone else like to comment on their report? Have you found rigidity issues as the miles go by?

Thank you for your time.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Probably they were comparing it to a sports car? If you want a good review try and look at an Off-road publication. Some people who know how a truck should drive. Car and Driver is for the most part about cars.

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
ZippyTWonderdog said:
In the latest issue of Car and Driver, they report on a 40,000 mile test on a Tacoma. In it they complain about spongy brakes, a "floppy" suspension, and a lack of structural rigidity.

In my test drives, I noticed no such problems. Brakes were fine, suspension was firm with the TRD sport package...the way I like it, and it seemed to be as rigid as an I-beam.

I suspect they did not have the firmer suspension for their test vehicle, which explains their criticism.

Would anyone else like to comment on their report? Have you found rigidity issues as the miles go by?

Thank you for your time.
Im sure the ride is a bit different after 40k miles and on a test drive of a brand new truck. Hard to compare the two I'd say.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
toku58 said:
What are you testing for?
I tried probably a dozen times posting this thread with the title you see now as well as the content. Every time I would get an error. Oddly enough, it worked when I simply put test in the title and a small comment in the body. I subsequently edited it with the content you see now, which obviously worked.

Very strange. Sorry for any confusion.

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
amp2oo1 said:
Im sure the ride is a bit different after 40k miles and on a test drive of a brand new truck. Hard to compare the two I'd say.
My 05 TRD Sport is at 36k and still rides like it's brand new. Don't know what car and driver is thinking:confused:

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
ZippyTWonderdog said:
I tried probably a dozen times posting this thread with the title you see now as well as the content. Every time I would get an error. Oddly enough, it worked when I simply put test in the title and a small comment in the body. I subsequently edited it with the content you see now, which obviously worked.

Very strange. Sorry for any confusion.
Most likely it was your browser?? Normally there should not be any problems?

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
you also have to remember that car and driver editors are a bunch of old men that chose the Ridgeline as the best midsize truck:disappoin

·
Hobby or Mental Illness?
572 Posts
I guess the brakes might be spongy if it was 40k of testing the brakes :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
R0dzilla7 said:
My 05 TRD Sport is at 36k and still rides like it's brand new. Don't know what car and driver is thinking:confused:
I would also like to point out that in several reviews, including Car and Driver, of the latest generation of the Tacoma they all commented on a really low seating position for the driver. I think they're all either crazy, or 'munchkins. I think the driving position is excellent...though I am really glad they put the telescoping steering wheel in.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
amp2oo1 said:
you also have to remember that car and driver editors are a bunch of old men that chose the Ridgeline as the best midsize truck:disappoin
Exactly. When driving around the latest roadster, they b!tch about how the suspension isn't tight enough or how it's too floaty, but as soon as they get into a truck (where they have no business being), their whole attitude changes. I used to read several of the major auto mags religiously, but I can't take the self-serving, contradictory BS that passes for analysis and testing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
ZippyTWonderdog said:

Thank you for your time.

I 100% agree with the 3 points listed. (SR5 Trim, 6,300 miles)

While my brakes work well, the pedal feels like crap. There is zero feed back.

The suspension on my truck bottoms out easier then most cars I have owned. The shocks also seem to lack the proper amount of damping.

And there is no way you can build a rigid full frame truck that only weighs 3600lbs. The rails are made of a very light gauge metal. The chassis has tons of flex compared to my 2002 Dakota I had.

All said and done I am still happy with the truck and it meets all my needs.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
AWDios said:
I have to agree on the suspension. I don't get where anyone thinks its too stiff. Of course I'm used to modified sports cars.
Suspension on the TRD Sport is definitely not too stiff (I'm coming from a modified sports car too, so take my opinion with a grain of salt), but it isn't "floppy" either. The brakes are for sh!t, but that's the way most Toyotas are. I can't comment on the structural rigidity issue.

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
I drove a TRD before driving my truck and to be honest, I can't tell a difference in either of the suspensions. They both felt the same. Maybe I'd have to feel a difference after they both have some mileage on them. The only complaint I have is how weak the back is when a load is put on (300 lbs and it seems like the back is on the bump stops).

·
Love this Tacoma!
Toyota Tacoma
623 Posts
Only complaint I have and i'm fixing to roll 40K this weekend is the beotch has developed 3 odd noises it likes to make, and so far i've only been able to find where 1 is coming from. Didn't start making these noises until it got colder out and it didn't make them last winter when it was cold. Other than that I have no real complaints with the truck.

·
Hey There...
05' Prerunner Taco
920 Posts
I have to agree with a very felxy frame. When in barstow my frame flexed so much that my bed and cab were misaligned and the doors had trouble opening and closing. Luckily after I got out of the hole it snapped back in place. I would love to pay a shop to box in our frame rails (they are C-channel right now) to see how much it would help.

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
Maybe toyota didn't cut the magazine a big enough check!

All those articles are biased IMO...I take anything they say with a huge grain of salt.

·
Registered
146 Posts
SilverStreak05 said:
Maybe toyota didn't cut the magazine a big enough check!

All those articles are biased IMO...I take anything they say with a huge grain of salt.
I was just about to post the exact same thing. Consumer Reports has a lot more credibility because they rely on subscribers for revenue, rather than advertisers. Road and Track as well as Motortrend are blatantly biased in their reviews. Granted, not as biased as the motorcycle mags, but biased none the less.

With that being said: The complaint about the brakes is certainly a valid one. Discs in the rear would be nice. The Frontier has disc brakes in the rear. Why drums on the Tacoma?

·
Registered
120 Posts
fwiw, the article also said how well it towed and how it outperforms the titan (and several other v8 competition) in performance and fuel economy. if C/D, or any other mag for that matter, was saying that the tacoma is the best truck ever built, i'd bet there'd be a lot different statements in this thread (like when it got the calipers in '05 from MT)... .02

·
Brand New Black Sand Prl
2006 TRD Tacoma Crew
81 Posts
My TRD Sport has a nice firm ride. I also drive a lowered Acura (with H&R Springs) and a BMW 3 Coupe (2004). While I'm used to a firm sporty ride, I find the TRD relatively firm - providing GREAT handling around corners, and about town. When I go 'off road' (I'm talking "normal" stuff like taking a trail to a campsite, or cutting through a park, etc.), the suspension offers more than adequate travel. I have almost 30,000 cliks on this unit, and it sounds nice and solid.

I definitely noticed a difference with the Bilstein shocks - I DON'T think CD had these on their truck. I also think the more road-friendly TRD Sport Bridgestones make a big difference...

I love this truck, and so do my senior folks - who both drive Bimmers. My Mom thinks this truck is as comfortable as her 5 Series - even though it does have a bit of the truck "ups and downs" over a bumpy road...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts