Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://fox4kc.com/2014/03/31/u-s-requires-new-cars-to-have-backup-cameras/

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) — Automakers will be required to install backup cameras in most new vehicles by May 2018, a federal agency announced Monday.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration finalized a long-awaited rule requiring all new cars, SUVs, and minivans, as well as some new small trucks and buses to carry rear visibility technology.
Automakers haven’t been previously required to include these systems but NHTSA did recommend it, saying it can save many deaths and injuries from backover crashes. There are nearly 210 backover deaths each year, the agency said. About a third of those deaths are children, and many are caused by parents, it said.
Rear facing cameras, including those that automakers already offer, would save between 59 and 69 deaths a year, NHTSA said.
“Safety is our highest priority, and we are committed to protecting the most vulnerable victims of backover accidents — our children and seniors,” said Anthony Foxx, the transportation secretary. “As a father, I can only imagine how heart wrenching these types of accidents can be for families, but we hope that today’s rule will serve as a significant step toward reducing these tragic accidents.”
The agency also touted a number of benefits beyond safety. Parking, for one, would become easier, it said in the regulation.
NHTSA expected the system would cost about $140 per new vehicle — and less for those that already have in-dash displays installed.
A 2008 law required the agency to develop rules to prevent backover accidents. Rules requiring backup cameras in all new vehicles were developed, but their implementation has been delayed until now.
Many vehicles, including luxury models, already carry rear-facing cameras, and an auto industry group applauded the move.
“Today, the government has stepped forward as a strong advocate for cameras on cars, and this action helps pave the way for using cameras in other ways on vehicles,” the Auto Alliance said in a statement. It also pledged to ask “NHTSA to allow automakers to remove side-view mirrors and replace them with cameras that may expand side vision while increasing fuel efficiency.”
Several safety advocacy groups sued the government and asked a federal judge to require backup rules be adopted. Those groups said Monday’s announcement was long overdue.
“While the administration delayed the rule, more children died in backover accidents,” said Robert Weissman of Public Citizen, one of the groups. “The cost of regulatory delay, in human lives, could hardly be more clear than it is today.”
By Gregory Wallace

·
'95 Camry 5S-FE
95 Camry LE
778 Posts
I don't understand why we need this. Maybe for a box truck or a windowless van, I can understand that. But if you can't backup a car without a camera you have no business behind the wheel of a car.

All of this driver's aid crap that is being mandated is driving up the cost of our cars while teaching people that they don't have to be competent at driving because the car will do everything for them. Just leave these things as options, and teach people how to f**king drive.

·
11,647 Posts
I don't understand why we need this. Maybe for a box truck or a windowless van, I can understand that. But if you can't backup a car without a camera you have no business behind the wheel of a car.

All of this driver's aid crap that is being mandated is driving up the cost of our cars while teaching people that they don't have to be competent at driving because the car will do everything for them. Just leave these things as options, and teach people how to f**king drive.

That ship has sailed. These cameras along with other "safety" devices allow manufacturers to secretly raise the price of the car, as well as allowing them to style them with bigger rear pillars (one of the reasons for a back up camera, anyway).

·
I Think It's A Toyota
519 Posts

Having a backup camera doesn't mean people don't know how to back up their car. Have you parked between two big SUV's or trucks and trying to back out of that parking spot, inching your way out not knowing if any car or person's going to come by? Sure you can do it without a backup camera, but it's pretty handy to have. Unfortunately it probably will drive up costs a bit since they'll need to have a LCD screen either in the rear view mirror or on the dash. Small price pay for some minor convenience =/

·
Administrator
14,390 Posts
Great. So, roughly 15 million vehicles are sold in the US each year. They project these backup cameras will save 59 to 69 deaths per year. And these cameras will cost $140/vehicle, less if already equipped with in-dash displays... Let's say it's $100. Now let's do the math.

15 million X $100 / 69 deaths = $21.74 million dollars per life saved.

I'm sorry if I seem like a heartless bastard, but that's a poor investment. That money would be better spent on healthcare, medical research, just about anything else.

Reactions: zzyzzx

·
One with the farce
3,794 Posts
Having a backup camera doesn't mean people don't know how to back up their car. Have you parked between two big SUV's or trucks and trying to back out of that parking spot, inching your way out not knowing if any car or person's going to come by? Sure you can do it without a backup camera, but it's pretty handy to have. Unfortunately it probably will drive up costs a bit since they'll need to have a LCD screen either in the rear view mirror or on the dash. Small price pay for some minor convenience =/
The problem is drivers by and large have no spatial awareness; no clue of the physical space their vehicle fills. Their driving, including parking the vehicle, is comprised of guesswork.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,761 Posts
I was under the impression this was already the case as of 2014?

Apparently not.....hmm. I don't MIND backup cameras, per se, but some cars (ahem, Ford Taurus), have the most GODAWFUL beep when put in reverse that can't be shut off.

I'm sorry, but that's MORE distracting than having a vehicle without a backup camera.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Nothing new here....this was originally mandated for implementation in 2012 and kicked back indefinitely....... People are already getting into trouble with total dependence on the camera view and not looking to see who is walking towards the back of vehicle out of view..... See it all the time..... It is helpful when parking in tight spots or hooking up a trailer to a hitch. Other than that ya still need to look around before backing up.

·
Premium Member
14,821 Posts
Great. So, roughly 15 million vehicles are sold in the US each year. They project these backup cameras will save 59 to 69 deaths per year. And these cameras will cost $140/vehicle, less if already equipped with in-dash displays... Let's say it's $100. Now let's do the math.

15 million X $100 / 69 deaths = $21.74 million dollars per life saved.

I'm sorry if I seem like a heartless bastard, but that's a poor investment. That money would be better spent on healthcare, medical research, just about anything else.
Nah, it doesn't cost that much. Maybe $20 a unit. Have you see how cheap cameras are on ebay? Just the CCD module is like $10 with shipping and cables from china, now figure scales of economy and automakers are buying them for $0.25 each likely, they're already putting screens in every model nearly, and small LCD screens are really cheap too, additional wiring is minimum.

I agree, still stupid. Would not need them if they could build a car with rear visibility.

·
11,647 Posts

Doesn't/Didn't your Vibe have larger rear pillars, making it hard to back up and/or change lanes as well? :D

·
I Think It's A Toyota
519 Posts
Doesn't/Didn't your Vibe have larger rear pillars, making it hard to back up and/or change lanes as well? :D
Actually yes lol The vibe has horrible blind spots. Even after years of having the car I still get close calls when merging or changing lanes not seeing a car in my blind spot. However, parking isn't such an issue I guess because it's a hatchback there's no trunk in the way so I can tell when I'm close to a car or wall by looking out the back window while backing up or something. Prior to the vibe, I had a maxima and often times when backing into a spot or parallel parking I would think I'm close to the car behind me but there would be a couple feet of room left lol

Now my mazda3 has back up camera with cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring, it kind of spoils you. I often back out of a parking spot without even needing to turn around since it'll beep at me if a person or car is coming. I guess it's good and it's bad having all these technological aids. When I got a rental that had no backup camera I was kinda nervous when backing out and almost hit someone lol

But I still think it's good to have :D

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,292 Posts

Got to say I agree with this completely. Just an increase in the ever increasing American life safety bubble. :rolleyes:

Well, they mandated seatbelts and airbags but they do little good when people drive like idiots. Case in point....

The greatest safety factor is that which the driver provides by being competent and driving safely.

·
One with the farce
3,794 Posts
▲ great for people who aren't aware of the space their vehicle takes up. I love the challenge of parallel parking, to see how precisely I can park.

My opinion, but if you don't know where your vehicle boundaries are, you shouldn't be driving. As for kids getting backed over, that is a tragedy no doubt. But parents should be teaching their kids not to play in stupid places.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
▲ great for people who aren't aware of the space their vehicle takes up. I love the challenge of parallel parking, to see how precisely I can park.

My opinion, but if you don't know where your vehicle boundaries are, you shouldn't be driving. As for kids getting backed over, that is a tragedy no doubt. But parents should be teaching their kids not to play in stupid places.
The majority of the driving public has no idea what their vehicle footprint is and would rather crowd you out of your oncoming lane than try to figure out how close they are to a parked car or curb.

Ya can teach kids all day long "not to play in stupid places" till you are out of breath and they will still do dumb things....why? Here's a clue.....Cuz they are kids.... :facepalm:

·
One with the farce
3,794 Posts
The majority of the driving public has no idea what their vehicle footprint is and would rather crowd you out of your oncoming lane than try to figure out how close they are to a parked car or curb.

Ya can teach kids all day long "not to play in stupid places" till you are out of breath and they will still do dumb things....why? Here's a clue.....Cuz they are kids.... :facepalm:

Facepalm all you like. Kids are teachable, but most parents are too lazy to teach them....but that's an entirely different conversation. I have kids, and they listen.

·
One with the farce
3,794 Posts
Truly spoken by one who has either no kids of his own, or who cares not about the direction of his kids' attitudes.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's parents who whine about the bad behaviour of their kid. Who makes that behavior acceptable? The parent.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,292 Posts
Got to agree with that. Nowadays kids have little to no street smarts, and it comes from two things IMO: Parents, like DCM indicated, who don't teach their kids street smarts; the other are parents who put those stupid effing signs in the street, "kids at play," etc., that give the kids a false sense of security. :facepalm: The expectation is that all the onus is on drivers to look out for kids, and that kids don't really have responsibility along those lines anymore.

I say it's high time we take back our suburban streets from parents who have turned residential streets into veritable playgrounds. If you want your kids to play safely then buy into a neighborhood with large yards and family friendly neighborhoods, instead of cookie cutter houses packed into CC&R crippled neighborhoods that stifle childrens' play.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.