Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 2003 CAMRY Build in Japan, 4 cyl. 75,130 miles. I am original owner and have taken good care of car. At recent oil change mechanic says: Front Flex pipe is leaking and Engine Oil Pan is rusty and sweating oil. I don't like his pricetag for repairs, so I get couple of other opinions. Next man says the engine water pump has a "small coolant leak." This has been confirmed by another mechanic and I was shown small specks of pink color coolant near water pump location. Another mechanic, Gary, tells me he has a masters in Toyotas and only uses OES parts is the last place I'm taking car for estimate.

I have never heard of OES parts.

Can someone please clarify? Do ALL OEM/OES parts come with a part warranty?
How important is the source for parts and what do I insist be used in my car?

I saw this video that said Insurance companies PUSH repair shows to use aftermarket parts, though my circumstance is not insurance covered.
That video was recommending only using OEM parts.
BUT other people say it depends on the PART being replaced. So, for these three parts what is recommended: OEM or OES or Aftermarket? If aftermarket, what brands/sellers Are Best/reliable? Thanks!
PS I LOVE this car and will keep it for another 10 yrs; that is my intent.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
he may have meant OEM parts?
original equipment manufacturer

guaranteed to fit right and likely carry a 12 month warranty

or could mean this
OEM parts are the original parts produced by the manufacturer. OES parts are the exact same part (perhaps without the 'Lexus' or 'Toyota' logo) sold by a supplier. OES parts are exactly the same and typically cost a little less. We use these parts when we can.

·
Registered
187 Posts
OEM parts are going to be the best, but most expensive, sometimes by quite a bit. You have to think to yourself...is it worth spending the extra money if I’m only going to keep the car a few years? And then make that decision for yourself.

Personally I wouldn’t, not for a water pump, oil pan and flex pipe. For the flex pipe I’d take it to an exhaust shop - a place that specializes in exhaust and welding - and see if they can weld a new aftermarket flex pipe in. Otherwise to replace that whole section of the exhaust is going to be pretty expensive.

As for the water pump and oil pan, I wouldn’t worry too much about using “cheaper” after market parts for that. An oil pan is just a piece of metal. Nothing special about that. And a water pump is a widely made, and replaced, aftermarket part. Many many water pumps are replaced without using an OEM part, without issue every single day.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I own a 2003 CAMRY Build in Japan, 4 cyl. 75,130 miles. I am original owner and have taken good care of car. At recent oil change mechanic says: Front Flex pipe is leaking and Engine Oil Pan is rusty and sweating oil. I don't like his pricetag for repairs, so I get couple of other opinions. Next man says the engine water pump has a "small coolant leak." This has been confirmed by another mechanic and I was shown small specks of pink color coolant near water pump location. Another mechanic, Gary, tells me he has a masters in Toyotas and only uses OES parts is the last place I'm taking car for estimate.

I have never heard of OES parts.

Can someone please clarify? Do ALL OEM/OES parts come with a part warranty?
How important is the source for parts and what do I insist be used in my car?

I saw this video that said Insurance companies PUSH repair shows to use aftermarket parts, though my circumstance is not insurance covered.
That video was recommending only using OEM parts.
BUT other people say it depends on the PART being replaced. So, for these three parts what is recommended: OEM or OES or Aftermarket? If aftermarket, what brands/sellers Are Best/reliable? Thanks!
For electrical parts, ESPECIALLY ANYTHING for ignition/emissions or engine control; insist on OE parts. Aftermarket parts for these sensitive controls create codes and other problems.
An oil pan? EH, it's just a piece of metal. Flex pipe on a nearly 2 decades old car, a reputable aftermarket name like Walker should be fine.
The other consideration is how much time/trouble/$$$ it takes to remove and replace a particular part. Or how critical an early failure would be; a broken timing belt can not only ruin your day but the engine as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he may have meant OEM parts?
original equipment manufacturer

guaranteed to fit right and likely carry a 12 month warranty

or could mean this
OEM parts are the original parts produced by the manufacturer. OES parts are the exact same part (perhaps without the 'Lexus' or 'Toyota' logo) sold by a supplier. OES parts are exactly the same and typically cost a little less. We use these parts when we can.
Mechanic Gary definitely said OES, surplus supplier. Are these parts for my current issue likely available from OES Source?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OEM parts are going to be the best, but most expensive, sometimes by quite a bit. You have to think to yourself...is it worth spending the extra money if I’m only going to keep the car a few years? And then make that decision for yourself.

Personally I wouldn’t, not for a water pump, oil pan and flex pipe. For the flex pipe I’d take it to an exhaust shop - a place that specializes in exhaust and welding - and see if they can weld a new aftermarket flex pipe in. Otherwise to replace that whole section of the exhaust is going to be pretty expensive.

As for the water pump and oil pan, I wouldn’t worry too much about using “cheaper” after market parts for that. An oil pan is just a piece of metal. Nothing special about that. And a water pump is a widely made, and replaced, aftermarket part. Many many water pumps are replaced without using an OEM part, without issue every single day.
Really good reply. I am getting smarter : ) Thanks

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Mechanic Gary definitely said OES, surplus supplier. Are these parts for my current issue likely available from OES Source?
the flex pipe may or may not be, with a 25yr old car i have found exhaust components to be discontinued from the Oem Toyota parts

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
its smart to investigate the online discount genuine Toyota parts dealers, some are 31% off MSRP (some even with free shipping over 75$) which may be close enough to aftermarket parts to keep your Toyota a Toyota, as I always see & hear

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Let the mechanic deal with it. I'll say it as many times as I have to.
perhaps the OP is wishing to learn the artistry of DIY and do some wrenching?

an '03 model might be quite uncomplicated to work on, IDK

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
perhaps the OP is wishing to learn the artistry of DIY and do some wrenching?
She can't. She physically can't apparently. Don't forget about her previous posts.

There is no DIY here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ONE OF THE WRITTEN ESTIMATES STATES:
Parts Part No Qty Price Total
REAR CATALYTIC CONVERTER AAAWP 1.00 593.00 593.00
Labor
Labor Tech Hrs Price Total

INSTALL REAR CATALYTIC CONVERTER 1.00 120.00 120.00

Parts Part No Qty Price Total
WATER PUMP AAAWP 1.00 130.00 130.00
Labor Tech Hrs Price Total
INSTALL WATER PUMP 1.00 140.00 140.00 [end]
WHEN I ASKED ABOUT WARRANTY, IN A SEPARATE EMAIL OWNER WROTE ME:
"warranty on parts and labor is 2 years or 24k miles.. except catalytic is 5 years."
Can anyone explain PART NO: AAAWP USED THROUGHOUT ESTIMATE??

·
Registered
787 Posts
Genuine parts or OE: Toyota logo parts.

OEM: Original Equipment Manufacturer: not Toyota ligo, but let’s say Advics master cylinder or Denso plugs instead of Toyota logo master cylinder (made by Advics).

Aftermarket: Raybestos master cylinder.

Here is example between genuine/OE and OEM.
THIS may I upgraded suspension on my BMW. I used wishbones from M3.
Instead of going Genuine BMW M3 I went TRW which makes wishbones for M3.
They looks same except TRW ones have scratched M logo :). $250 difference!
Basically they made bunch of wishbones with M logo for BMW, and then scratched logo for aftermarket sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts