Toyota Nation Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you want to be told what is wrong or do you not want to be told what is wrong? Would you rather have them lie and pretend everything is alright?

The information has been noted so that should you get an issue and you come back to blame them that they broke something that they TOLD YOU it was an issue and you chose to ignore it.

Everything they listed is what you asked for and for issues they recommend. It is all valid. Surprise, cars need maintenance and parts replacement. You CAN choose to ignore everything and fix just the two things you wanted fixed. YOU are liable for ignoring what they recommend.
To hear you talk, one would think that there's no such thing as a dishonest mechanic who's willing to cheat customers.

That list of issues may be valid; it may not be. We have no way of knowing. But for you to come screaming down on the OP like that is utterly uncalled for.

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
To hear you talk, one would think that there's no such thing as a dishonest mechanic who's willing to cheat customers.

That list of issues may be valid; it may not be. We have no way of knowing. But for you to come screaming down on the OP like that is utterly uncalled for.
There will always be dishonest people. Are the people she is dealing with dishonest? Who knows. From what I can discern, the issues they presented to her are valid. They aren't upchanging her by saying her wipers need replacing, her filter needs replacing, she needs new tires, and her transmission is gonna explode.

Instead, an oil pan that is potentially dangerously rusted and leaking, a leaking flex pipe, a water pump that may be leaking, a rather old battery, and brakes that could be replaced soon. Are any of these immediate issues? Arguably no but they are components that will eventually turn into serious issues if not resolved in time. If you want to help her you can, you can inspect the car and she may even let you fix it. Are you trustworthy? Am I trustworthy? There is very little reason for her to trust a stranger on the internet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That’s not really unreasonable. People at McDonalds want $15, these people have to pay for a building, tools, and some blood to make a living so they should be taking in $60 an hour . 18 year old car, you can repair or buy a new one for $30,000 that won’t last as long. You could go to a parts house that will sell and install a battery for you, I removed and replaced the water pump on my 08 Scion a couple weeks ago and I think $345 for that is very reasonable. You might want to drive it through a car wash that sprays under the car

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
That’s not really unreasonable. People at McDonalds want $15, these people have to pay for a building, tools, and some blood to make a living so they should be taking in $60 an hour . 18 year old car, you can repair or buy a new one for $30,000 that won’t last as long. You could go to a parts house that will sell and install a battery for you, I removed and replaced the water pump on my 08 Scion a couple weeks ago and I think $345 for that is very reasonable. You might want to drive it through a car wash that sprays under the car
More so, flat rate life.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi
The advice from that place is RUN.
If u went in for those problems why did he remove the tires and go for brakes.. why are they signing if u want the parts. Fyi the catalytic is worth $$ in scrap. The flex tube can wear out. Go to a good exhaust shop for that.
There is a weep hole on the water pump. When the pump starts to wear out it will leak a drip there. Keep an eye on temp guage and fluid levels. And some cars you should do timing belt while doing water pump and belts. That is if you have a timing belt.
Last word take it to toyota..
Good luck

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
Hi
The advice from that place is RUN.
If u went in for those problems why did he remove the tires and go for brakes.. why are they signing if u want the parts. Fyi the catalytic is worth $$ in scrap. The flex tube can wear out. Go to a good exhaust shop for that.
There is a weep hole on the water pump. When the pump starts to wear out it will leak a drip there. Keep an eye on temp guage and fluid levels. And some cars you should do timing belt while doing water pump and belts. That is if you have a timing belt.
Last word take it to toyota..
Good luck
Yes, because the dealership is even more trustworthy... Better bring in filters and wipers too...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I didn't start

I didn't start serious DIY repairs on my three Toyota's (1979 Celica, 1982 Cressida and 1995 Avalon) until about 10 years ago. Until then, the most I did was changing out alternators, valve adjustments, brakes, etc.

I'm currently working on my 1979 Celica, and I've done about 10 major repairs recently (exhaust manifold, steering box, A/C expansion valve (I am EPA 609 certified), front struts, oil pan gasket etc.

Almost all the work until 2010 was done at a Toyota dealership in Massachusetts. The exhaust manifold and oil pan gasket was replaced by them previously. When I had to do the repairs again, I noticed: 1) Huge gouge on bottom of engine block where the pan mates. Tech couldn't be bothered taking a mallet to free pan from block?. This can never be repaired 2) NO gasket in place for exhaust manifold. 3) Radiator mashed where Toyota tech placed his impact wrench to remove crank pulley (If I were watching him, I would have insisted that he pull radiator to make more room- even if it meant paying more. I'm currently working on the oil pump, so I just noticed that one recently).

As far as being bothered by being looked at, I am a retired commercial pilot. I have been observed by FAA inspectors, and company "check airmen" who routinely rode in the flight deck and observed every move we made. If a professional gets annoyed by someone watching over them, well, that, to me indicates they're unsure about themselves.
you need to some where you can trust I have had many cars over my 64 years and never had a oil pan done what they say .

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
you need to some where you can trust I have had many cars over my 64 years and never had a oil pan done what they say .
Rust, it's fantastic!

·
Registered
2017 Prius Prime Adv
38 Posts
Essentially your regular mechanic reported on the most pressing issues. The other guy looked at it differently, as if you were buying the car and wanted to know the potential issues. So that is what he gave you. You should go back to your regular mechanic and ask about the other issues. Your guy can do all of the cited repairs in time as they are needed, just not right now.

OTOH you are driving a 15 year old car with 75K miles on it. 75 K is relatively low mileage ~5K/yr. If this were a Southern California car, not directly on the ocean you might get another 10 years out of it if you keep up on the maintenance and have it garaged. But it isn't a SoCal car.

Ask yourself: "Do you really want to be driving a 15 to 25 year old rust bucket?" My best advice is to start looking for a replacement vehicle and start saving for it.

Finally, you will be amazed by the leaps forward in safety and technology. I was shocked in 2017 by the quantum leaps in just a 10 year period. I'm now looking at a 2022 to attempt to stay abreast of the rapidly changing technology.

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
I re-read your original post, you are already driving a 19 year old car. There is a nice new Corolla waiting for you, well maybe in a few months after the supply shortages resolve themselves.
Somewhere she said she is on social security. She is unlikely buying a brand new vehicle anytime soon. In addition that is a whole new can of worms to deal with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How do you tell someone their car is a turd and they should sell it. I have no problem to show customers their problems and I’ll even show them the old parts. For me mechanics take a right set of mind and sometimes it’s best that your not around. Not that I’m hiding anything, you would just annoy me.

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
How do you tell someone their car is a turd and they should sell it. I have no problem to show customers their problems and I’ll even show them the old parts. For me mechanics take a right set of mind and sometimes it’s best that your not around. Not that I’m hiding anything, you would just annoy me.
Quite a lot of people would be annoyed. I'm sure I annoy them too when I give other mechanics too much information.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Where in Maryland?
With the possible exception of maybe 2 counties in Western Maryland, cars around here don't rust would not pre-emptively replace a car battery unless it was old AND the car was starting slowly.

Get another opinion. Ask if you can watch, and if they won't allow you to watch, go someplace else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a 2003 CAMRY LE 75,112 miles. I bought new from Toyota. I have taken good care of this investment. At a recent oil change I was told of two issues:
I took it for a oil change and mechanic I’ve been to for many years who is probably 65 yrs old said:
2 ISSUES:
  1. FRONT FLEX PIPE IS LEAKING. I BELIEVE THIS WILL FALL OFF WHEN DRIVING IF NOT REPAIRED (PER SIMCA MECHANIC). THIS PIPE HAS TO DO WITH THE EXHAUST.
  2. ENGINE OIL PAN IS RUSTY & SWEATING OIL & NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.
I wanted to get a 2nd opinion and took it to another local mechanic, MMechanic that the neighborhood listserv posts had good things to say by a handful of neighbors.
I had always INTENDED TO KEEP CAR FOR 10+ YEARS.

I told the reception man I wanted to be in the back when the mechanic owner looked at these 2 issues so we could discuss them better. Reception man said I could only come back After mechanic/owner did his look/overview of my car. WAS THAT A MISTAKE leaving owner/mechanic alone with my car, a place I've never been before? Could he have done damage to my Coolant System Repair (WATER PUMP) thereby creating a leak in my car? Again, first mechanic never mentioned this. Not sure it was wise to have left my car in his hands/out of my sight without being back there the whole time.

When MMechanic owner allowed me in back to look at my car and discuss it was a bit amazing. He starts up with a Scare orientation, telling me that my car is very bad ALL OVER due to the environment taking a big toll and rusting and corrosion is everywhere. As you can see from the below written estimate, MMechanic found a number of other issues that NO ONE has ever said are issues. I’ve had such little issues w/ this car and I don’t have much experience with mechanics. First off the Customer Comments Recommendations he wrote at the start of his estimate that you can see below is a lie. I only went there w/ two known issues as I've stated above. So, he has decided to LIE in his estimate to me, which entirely negates him from ever touching my life again.
But, I need to learn from this bad experience to avoid these types in the future!
He alleges
WATER PUMP has a small leak and this is real bad.

Description Price QTY HRS Subtotal
1 Remove and replace Engine Water Pump -Includes: The removal of
component and all necessary components for access.
2.1 $189.00
2 OEM Water Pump and gasket. $122.19 1 $122.19
3 Extend Life Coolant $25.00 1 $25.00
Tax (6%): $8.83 Total: $345.02

He also says the battery is about to die as it was installed 2013 per a label I did see this label he pointed out on my car battery top corner though I don't ever recall seeing that before yesterday.

HOPE YOU CAN PLEASE SHARE THOUGHTS / RECOMMENDATIONS.
MMechanic seemed like a ‘polished’ sales guy and after reflecting on him I have solid concerns on all that he said. I'm not going back.

Here is MMechanic full quote.
Customer Comments Recommendations

Would like a quote for an oil pan replacement and front
flex pipe replacement up to the catalytic converter. Car has
a myriad of issues going on, will need new brakes up to
5,000 miles left, water pump needs to be replaced. Also
the tail end of the exhaust has a significant amount of rust
particularly where it connects to the exhaust exit pipes.
We can also repair the current exhaust system you have,
instead of replacing the entire component. Battery is old
dates 11/13, makes this battery 9 years old! It will also
need front brakes in about 5,000 miles, Engine Water
pump has a small coolant leak.

Engine Repair (Oil pan)

1 Remove and replace Engine Oil pan and gasket. Includes: The
removal of component and all necessary components for access,
time to add fluid.
4 $360.00

2 OES OIL PAN ASSY - NEW $137.66 1 $137.66

3 OIL PAN GASKET $18.78 1 $18.78

4 TOYOTA OIL PAN BOLT $2.95 10 $29.50

Tax (6%): $11.16 Total: $557.10

Exhaust Repair/ Flex Pipe

1 Remove and replace Front Exhaust Pipe Assembly complete
section. Includes: The removal of component and all necessary
components for access.

2 $180.00

2 EXHAUST PIPE WITH INTEGRATED FLEX PIPE AND CATALYTIC

CONVERTER ASSY -NEW

$809.91 1 $809.91

3 OES EXHAUST PIPE GASKET AND HARDWARE KIT FRONT AND

REAR

$45.98 1 $45.98
Tax (6%): $2.76 Total: $1,038.65

Coolant System Repair (TOYOTA WATER PUMP)

2.1 $189.00

Created: 12/31/2021

12/31/2021 MMechanics

Page 1 of 3

Battery Replacement

1 Load test, Remove and replace battery, clean terminals. Includes:
The removal of component and all necessary components for
access, and saving Computers memory information.

0.35 $31.50
2 S35 Series 550 CCA EXIDE Battery -New (Two years warranty) $164.89 1 $164.89
Tax (6%): $9.89 Total: $206.28

Remove and Replace Front brake pads and brake Rotors, service calipers.

1 Remove and Replace Front brake pads and brake Rotors, service
calipers.
2 $180.00
2 Premium Front Brake Rotor -zing coated $67.95 2 $135.90
3 Premium Front Brake Pad Set -Ceramics $70.45 1 $70.45
Tax (6%): $12.38 Total: $398.73

Manufacturer Special Policy Adjustment Programs

Federal law requires manufacturers to furnish the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration (N.H.T.S.A.) with bulletins describing any defects in their vehicles. You
may obtain copies of these bulletins either from the manufacturer or N.H.T.S.A. In
addition, certain consumer publications or organizations publish this information,
which may be available for a fee or for free. NOTICE: Under certain circumstances, the
repair facility may not be responsible for damage to the customer’s vehicle while it is
on the facility’s premises. You should ask the management about the extent of its
responsibility and its insurance coverage.

CUSTOMER'S RIGHTS

1. You are entitled to a written estimate upon request if repairs will exceed $25.00.
Do you want a written estimate? Yes No

2. You may not be charged an amount more than 10% above an estimate without your
consent.

Parts ................................................. $1,560.26

Labor .................................................... $940.50

Subtotal ...................................... $2,500.76

Tax ................................................... $45.02

Grand Total ..................................... $2,545.78

Paid To Date ........................................ ($0.00)

3. You are entitled to the return of any replaced parts except those that must be returned to the manufacturer under a warranty agreement. If you do not
want the parts, Initial here:

4. Repairs not originally authorized by you will not be charged to you without your consent.

I hereby authorize the repair work listed you and your employees may operate the above vehicle for purposes of testing, inspection or delivery.

Signature

Notes

12/31/2021
Below is a link to the quote you requested from MMechanics. Please review and let us know if you have any questions.

12/31/2021 MMechanics

Page 2 of 3

File: Quote_4896_-Engine_Repair__Oil_pan__and_4_More-__-_2003_Toyota_Camry_LE.pdf

12/31/2021 MMechanics
Page 3 of 3
HI there. I am Tom and have owned and repaired 9 Toyota and one Lexus. I can advise if you want. Also, my brother owns a car repair biz (45 years), so maybe he can help?

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
HI there. I am Tom and have owned and repaired 9 Toyota and one Lexus. I can advise if you want. Also, my brother owns a car repair biz (45 years), so maybe he can help? Email me at [email protected]. All the best!
What is the business called?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2003 CAMRY LE 75,112 miles. I bought new from Toyota. I have taken good care of this investment. At a recent oil change I was told of two issues:
I took it for a oil change and mechanic I’ve been to for many years who is probably 65 yrs old said:
2 ISSUES:
  1. FRONT FLEX PIPE IS LEAKING. I BELIEVE THIS WILL FALL OFF WHEN DRIVING IF NOT REPAIRED (PER SIMCA MECHANIC). THIS PIPE HAS TO DO WITH THE EXHAUST.
I wanted to get a 2nd opinion and took it to another local mechanic, MMechanic that the neighborhood listserv posts had good things to say by a handful of neighbors.

I told the reception man I wanted to be in the back when the mechanic owner looked at these 2 issues so we could discuss them better. Reception man said I could only come back After mechanic/owner did his look/overview of my car. WAS THAT A MISTAKE leaving owner/mechanic alone with my car, a place I've never been before? Could he have done damage to my Coolant System Repair (WATER PUMP) thereby creating a leak in my car? Again, first mechanic never mentioned this. Not sure it was wise to have left my car in his hands/out of my sight without being back there the whole time.

When MMechanic owner allowed me in back to look at my car and discuss it was a bit amazing. He starts up with a Scare orientation, telling me that my car is very bad ALL OVER due to the environment taking a big toll and rusting and corrosion is everywhere. As you can see from the below written estimate, MMechanic found a number of other issues that NO ONE has ever said are issues. I’ve had such little issues w/ this car and I don’t have much experience with mechanics. First off the Customer Comments Recommendations he wrote at the start of his estimate that you can see below is a lie. I only went there w/ two known issues as I've stated above. So, he has decided to LIE in his estimate to me, which entirely negates him from ever touching my life again.
But, I need to learn from this bad experience to avoid these types in the future!
He alleges

2.1 $189.00

He also says the battery is about to die as it was installed 2013 per a label I did see this label he pointed out on my car battery top corner though I don't ever recall seeing that before yesterday.

MMechanic seemed like a ‘polished’ sales guy and after reflecting on him I have solid concerns on all that he said. I'm not going back.

Engine Repair (Oil pan)

time to add fluid.
4 $360.00

components for access.

2 $180.00

CONVERTER ASSY -NEW

$809.91 1 $809.91

REAR

$45.98 1 $45.98

2.1 $189.00

12/31/2021 MMechanics

Page 1 of 3

Battery Replacement

0.35 $31.50

calipers.
2 $180.00

Federal law requires manufacturers to furnish the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration (N.H.T.S.A.) with bulletins describing any defects in their vehicles. You
may obtain copies of these bulletins either from the manufacturer or N.H.T.S.A. In
addition, certain consumer publications or organizations publish this information,
which may be available for a fee or for free. NOTICE: Under certain circumstances, the
repair facility may not be responsible for damage to the customer’s vehicle while it is
on the facility’s premises. You should ask the management about the extent of its

CUSTOMER'S RIGHTS

1. You are entitled to a written estimate upon request if repairs will exceed $25.00.

2. You may not be charged an amount more than 10% above an estimate without your
consent.

3. You are entitled to the return of any replaced parts except those that must be returned to the manufacturer under a warranty agreement. If you do not

4. Repairs not originally authorized by you will not be charged to you without your consent.

I hereby authorize the repair work listed you and your employees may operate the above vehicle for purposes of testing, inspection or delivery.

Signature

Notes

12/31/2021
Below is a link to the quote you requested from MMechanics. Please review and let us know if you have any questions.

12/31/2021 MMechanics

Page 2 of 3

File: Quote_4896_-Engine_Repair__Oil_pan__and_4_More-__-_2003_Toyota_Camry_LE.pdf

12/31/2021 MMechanics
Page 3 of 3
I don't trust many of them and almost no dealers.I'd get another estimate and don't tell them about the others..

·
Just some guy
2001 4Runner SR5; 2013 Camry Hybrid XLE
61 Posts
I would definitely do the original repairs, per the first mechanic, that you trust. And ask the first mechanic to check the items from the 2nd mechanic.
^ This.

...the exhaust system is stainless steel on this CE Corolla, so it does not rust.
Depending on the type of stainless, and how hot it gets, some will actually rust. They are really just rust-resistant. And, as a flex component, they are actually prone to failure due to flexing, as well as any potential for rusting. That said, as others have mentioned, it may be possible to insert an aftermarket flex coupling by cutting out the relevant section of the OEM part and installing an aftermarket part made for this sort of repair. They may not even require welding.

If the water pump is leaking, then you would see the coolant level drop in the overflow reservoir, which can eventually lead to a low coolant light getting triggered, as well a likely seeing a wet spot on the driveway.
^ Also this. A leaking water pump isn't a rarity, it's usually just a matter of time and usage. They wear out, especially older models with V-belt drives that can easily be over-tensioned. This is partly why many cars now have easy-to-service waterpumps. It's also part of the reason why drive belts are now multi-ribbed flat belts and they wrap around the pulleys more fully, reducing the tension needed to drive stuff... How badly it's worn out is a different thing, altogether. The amount it leaks is a primary indicator as to whether it should be serviced now or not. If you don't smell coolant, and you don't see evidence of a leak, and the coolant level seems to stay within the recommended levels, then I don't think it's likely to need immediate repair. They often also make noise as they start to fail, so you can maybe use that as an indicator also.

·
Registered
181 Posts
2 ISSUES:

He alleges

2.1 $189.00

Engine Repair (Oil pan)

time to add fluid.
4 $360.00

components for access.

2 $180.00

CONVERTER ASSY -NEW

$809.91 1 $809.91

REAR

$45.98 1 $45.98

2.1 $189.00

12/31/2021 MMechanics

Page 1 of 3

Battery Replacement

0.35 $31.50

calipers.
2 $180.00

CUSTOMER'S RIGHTS

consent.

Signature

Notes

12/31/2021

12/31/2021 MMechanics

Page 2 of 3

12/31/2021 MMechanics
Page 3 of 3
I agree that you should generally be able to view what someone else does with your car. If there are no safety issues involved such as the configuration of the work area placing you in danger to do so, I cannot see why not.
As for the rust issues, do you live in an area where cars rust easily such as places where there is snow like the rust belt or the east coast? If you're not sure, you can look a bit past your tailpipe and verify the claim of rust in that area of the car.
As for batteries, few these days last past about 5 years with warranties for only 2 to 3 years.
As for the water pump, has your car been losing coolant? Has it overheated? Can you see coolant dripping or a puddle under the car? If you're not losing coolant and the temperature gauge remains somewhere in the middle, you probably don't need a water pump. On the other hand, if you need a water pump and don't replace it the resulting overheating condition can cause engine damage.
You seem to trust the first mechanic so why not go back and get a second opinion about the other repairs from him?
I've been ripped off by unscrupulous mechanics so I am really cautious too.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts