Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fiberglass box for my Venza underway (Complete!)

**** 01-12-2012: Here is the enclosure all done! link to post on page 2

In place:

Can still access the spare tire too

Thought I would share some pics of my latest project in my 2011 Venza: putting a 10" woofer *inside* the spare tire

So the Venza is my daily driver and I want to keep the full daily-driver-ness of it by not giving up any storage space, and yet I want BASS in the vehicle. I have the 13 speaker JBL Synthesis system in there but the bass isn't even weak or pathetic, it's completely non existant... I have both a woofer (Rockford Fosgate shallow mount 10") and amp (Alpine PDX5) pulled from the car that I traded in when I got the Venza...

I will make an MDF version of the spare tire cover so that I won't tear up this $100+ piece

So here is the woofer I have and it will be mounted to my new MDF cover and will be utilizing a box made from fiberglass enclosure that is going to fit inside the 20" spare

Took the spare tire out and used aluminum foil set inside the tire so that the fiberglass wouldn't stick to the rim/tire

Here is the foil all in place, time to start the fiberglassing

The first round of glassing... so when I am done this will be attached to the new cover and I'll be able to lift the cover, woofer and enclosure right out of the vehicle so I can get to the spare tire

I'll update as I go, not a lot of free time going on right now because of various reasons, but should be done by the end of the month.....

·
Just getting started...
1,473 Posts
^ +1

I never thought to even look at the spare tire. I'm planning to use a shallow mount pioneer box but this would be a great alternative.

Will you be mounting the amp inside as well or mount it elsewhere?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the amp is small enough that it *should* fit under the passenger seat...

for now the amp, which is 5 channel, is just going to power the woofer but eventually it will power the whole car.. i think the JBL amp is under the driver seat so once I confirm that I may put the amp under that seat if it will fit since that will help me out when i go to power everything via it

·
Registered
260 Posts
At one time I owned a Nissan Murano and that's where they placed their sub-woofer....worked very well....so should yours. :thumbsup:

·
Just getting started...
1,473 Posts
the amp is small enough that it *should* fit under the passenger seat...

for now the amp, which is 5 channel, is just going to power the woofer but eventually it will power the whole car.. i think the JBL amp is under the driver seat so once I confirm that I may put the amp under that seat if it will fit since that will help me out when i go to power everything via it
That's what I was planning to do when I do a sound system, put the amp under the seat. Plus I want to get the PDX-5 as well so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this works out for you. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is an update from stuff I did yesterday.. test fit of round 1 of the glassing in the Venz

so here is the spare tire and enclosure in place

This stock cover fits on top with no issues

Since the foil is in between the wheel/tire and the fiberglass I can easily lift this out (i had started peeling off the foil before i put all this in)

Took the enclosure out and used some water to check for leaks (which I have a few)... this weekend will be round two of fiberglassing and cutting a new top cover piece out of MDF....

Hopefully I can wrap all this up by next weekend as I still need to get the wiring to install the amp... I'm looking forward to the return of bass...

it's funny though, I do all this work and it's my wife who drives this vehicle 90% of the time.. it's alright though, she'll enjoy it :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
MorningZ - very interesting and seems like some "aftermarket" guru would/could fabricate a subwoofer kit that would match your plan. 1. Time for a patent 2. Looking forward to more updates and pics of the install. Could you provide more info on how you tie this into the existing JBL system. I would like to try something like this as well - I too like some bass.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could you provide more info on how you tie this into the existing JBL system
I am planning to just tie into the rear speaker leads coming out of the stock JBL amp into a good line level converter (which i already have from a previous car)

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Alright, after a few weeks, an update !

Here is the result of my fiberglassing... man, i HATE using this stuff and this enclosure is ugly, but it will (hopefully) be effective

With the fiberglass in place, here is my MDF version of the hatch cover in place, sits nice and flush

Here is a little trick I learned years ago to get your woofer to sit nice and flush like this

The trick is to use a 2nd piece of wood underneath where the bottom piece has the hole to hold the woofer and the top piece is big enough to let the woofer (+ grill) be inside it

Getting the tire ready for a messy step

Which was putting the fiberglass back in place and laying down a ton of Liquid Nails to hold the MDF to the fiberglass

So placed the PDF + woofer and lowered it on down

Weighed it down to create some pressure and let it sit like this overnight

Checked it this morning and as I had hoped, lifting up on the MDF results in the MDF + fiberglass being stuck together and acting like one piece....

I still need to give the liquid nails time to dry, but once it is, I'll put some tan or black carpet (haven't decided yet) and this is how it'll look in the end

·
Registered
368 Posts
WoW

Speaking as a Venza owner who is happy with the base sound system {just don't know no better I guess} :dunno: I would never go to this much work to add a super sound system. However I sure can admire a creative design and the work on this one. Man, what a great job... :bowdown: Very impressive. Much obliged to you for this post. WoW!!!! Wyovenza

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Alright, this post is the result of more research:

Enclosure itself: it's still in the same status it was in the images above, i haven't gotten to carpet it and finish it off just yet.... hopefully this Sunday I can wrap that portion up

So what I have been researching: getting signal *out* of the JBL Synthesis system and *into* my soon-to-be-installed Alpine PDX-5 five channel amp..

Normally in this situation you would just slap on a line level converter off the factory amp and bam!, you've got RCA signal to another amp, but the Synthesis system is a little tricky because all the speakers are crossed over inside the amp, so trying to get a signal off an output of the amp would result in an incomplete audio spectrum... so it's just not that easy

Looking around, I found this AudioControl piece, the LC6i line level converter:

So what does that do? Well, reading the manual, three things:

1) it breaks down to being able to combine the JBL's broken down outputs into a single full-audio-spectrum signal to send to the amp... so pretty much i'd take the leads from the door speaker, dash tweeter and dash midrange into the LC6 and it will give me a single "full" output to the Alpine, which someday will be powering the whole car

2) senses when audio signal is coming into it and will automatically turn itself on as well as provide the output lead to turn on the Alpine amp (this is a cool feature as it means I won't have to track down the JBL's "remote turn on" signal, if it even has a normal 12v based on (i bet it doesn't)

3) there is also an optional remote knob to control the subwoofer output level on the fly (i have this in my Integra and love this feature as I listen to a wide array of music)

Here is how the box sits right now... I'm going to put 6-8 drywall screws to hold the wood and glass together, run the speaker wire out (still haven't figured out where yet), carpet the top and this part is done

·
Just getting started...
1,473 Posts
Coming along nicely! I got inspired by your system and have now started sourcing parts for a budget sound system as well.

What other components are you using in your system?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right now the system is completely stock, so this "stage 1" will be me adding the 5-channel PDX-5 amp with just the mono subwoofer out powering this Rockford 10"

Down the road, maybe during the summer, I'll go with two sets of 3 way components and power the rest of the system off the new amp as well....

I have no plans to change the head unit, I really like the one in the there (stock Nav one), the bluetooth works great with the wife and I's iPhones, the navigation is pretty solid (although i would like to update the data, but not for $200, yikes!), all in all happy with it

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Progress on the sub box and it is d-u-n done done done !!

so was talking to a neighbor and we discussed that "the pressure from the bass *might* make the wood separate from the liquid nails, so I decided to run 8 1" drywall screws up through the fiberglass and into the wood, taking the pressure off the liquid nails

Since some screws stuck out the top, I used my Dremel to take care of these protrusions

Next big challenge: what do I do with the speaker wire? normally I would run it out the fiberglass and seal it up, *but* if I did that, the metal edge of the spare tire's rim could break through the wire... so I routered out a channel on the top piece for the speaker wire, this means it won't get squashed between my contraption and the spare tire

Then used some silicone to make it all flat again and used a razor blade to squeeze off the excess

Then i wired in a plug so I could unplug the woofer to take the whole thing out

Started carpeting the thing.... i was torn between black carpet (which i had two rolls of) vs tan carpet (which i would have to buy), decided on black since it will match the black and tan theme in my interior (better pics of this coming up)

i used an appliance paint pen (a box builders best friend) at the end to cover up gaps in the carpet

Here is the Rockford speaker installed

And the payoff !!

and still have complete access to the spare tire :)

On monday the AudioControl interface gets here, i'll get the amp installed over the coarse of the week so i can fire up this woofer !!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
7 Participants
DaTruth
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing