Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do these lightened flywheels really help THAT much??? i read about all these mr2 guys having them, and my clutch just went out, so i was gettin an excedy clutch and hopefully a fidanza flywheel, but most clutches are about 300 to 350 bucks, but i got a good deal on a good clutch for 120 bucks, and found a fidanza on ebay for 300 bucks, so is it worth it? i will scrounge up the extra money for the f/w if i know its for a good cause. by the way, what kind of gains will i expect to see with it? like on the track, if i master the easier to bog nature of it, will it make a good difference? also, what about from a roll on the street? id like some good acceleration with it

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know form experience with my previous hondas that with a lighter flywheel the faster the motor would rev out but would lose some bottom end, depending on the weight difference...I went from 20lb f/w stock to 8.5 lb aftermarket so it was a big difference. I put a centerforce stage 1 clutch in my 91 turbo and I absolutely love it, I voted against a lighter flywheel in order to keep a real torqy 1st and 2nd gear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
far as i know, that with less rotational mass, there wont be as much a load on the engine to get the exhaust flowin enough to spool the turbo, so you have to go a little higher in the rpm's, but once you launched and the car was movin, i thought the lighter mass would pick up acceleration more, thus spooling the turbo quicker. am i wrong?

·
Registered
82 Posts
right I take it that that would be correct, with turbo cars anyway but I guess with experience with NA cars its a different concept

1 - 5 of 5 Posts