Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,665 Posts
What the, how the heck it got stuck in there? I mean it can go in and out of the airbox via driver fender vent, right?

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What the, how the heck it got stuck in there? I mean it can go in and out of the airbox via driver fender vent, right?
Aloha,

- it crawled in through the intake tube by the fender
- got comfy in the bottom of the airbox
- took some yellow insulation, prolly from mah house, and built a nest in the airbox

- then I prolly went for a long drive at some point
- at this point the intake is under constant vacuum and the rat most likely suffocated
- it's 10" nose to tail and was dried like cardboard, no juices left, and had insect casings all over it
- the insect casings indicate time of departure at prolly 3 months

- I was waay down on power for the last 3 months... like severly worn engine low compression feel
- would wind up, but not enough power to match the revs
- been like that for 3 month
- figured I start simple and check for a dirty air filter...
- the massive rats-nest was blocking the intake pretty good

- I should gain like 10 horse power
- but I will loose 1 rat power :(

·
short-throw dipstick
5,934 Posts
Oh shi- I hate to say this, but that rat's facial expression cracks me up.

I had something similar recently (not as drastic) on a late-model Camry that I was changing an ignition coil on (2GR). Rat build a nest in the vee using the sound deadening from the beauty cover. Didn't find the rat though, it must have vacated when the engine turned on

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
One of your motor’s hamsters died!!!!

But seriously, when changing air filters, I’ve found rodents and nests more than once. I live in a rural area, so it’s impossible to keep those little buggers out.

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of your motor’s hamsters died!!!!

But seriously, when changing air filters, I’ve found rodents and nests more than once. I live in a rural area, so it’s impossible to keep those little buggers out.
- whats crazy is how I pulled the filter out and didnt even take notice of the bottom of the airbox til I put it back..
- ie, I almost missed it...
- craxy the places they can get to
- RIP mickey :(

/

·
Registered
Toyotas.
210 Posts
He he!!
I bought a '70 DeVille (convertible) some 20 years back. Had a few things to tend to, then it was on the road.
But I couldn't get ANY airflow out of the AC unit.
Unfortunately, the AC plenum on those years comes out AFTER the engine does.
Fortunately (?), the engine had a small vibration.
Combining two tasks, I found:
1) The locating ring around the nose of the torque converter was missing (!)
2) An entire family of mice had built a large nest, complete with cemetery, in the AC plenum.
Afterwards, that was a very nice tour car, and I did, a lot.

Cosmo

·
unofficial TN member
00 camry le 5s-fe
923 Posts
this has got to be the most effective "how do i / how to make more power out of my 4 cylinder camry" thread ever, for instant gains and lowest cost involved. and you addressed varmint control all at the same time :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Put a screen over the intake air snorkel. No mo ratters.
+1 !
I did this over the floor heater vents after we picked up 3 chipmunks in Yellowstone, no more interior rodents since.

If (via diet manipulation) you could enhance the rats flatulence (perhaps a taco belle in the plenum every couple of days) you could increase the cars power fractionally...probably equal to an electric supercharger at similar cost!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a 1995 Camry last November. Blower motor vibrated horribly. Took it out, and dead mouse remains greeted me from the cage.

I bought a 2000 Camry on New Year's. Blower motor vibrated horribly. Took it out, and...dead mouse remains greeted me from the cage.

I wonder what will happen if I buy a 3rd Camry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's so funny. My son inherited my Dad's 1997 Camry XLE V6 with 88,000 miles on it and this past fall he said the gas mileage went way down to like 15 MPG. I explored it's engine compartment and found quite a few rodent droppings which we blew out or vacuumed up (the car was parked outside in a foothill suburb of LA where there is a lot of wildlife and it was hardly ever driven). I looked in the air box and saw the exact same thing you showed minus the dead critter. Looks like it pulled insulation from the hood and made a nest in the airbox intake.

Fortunately there was no evidence of chewed wires anywhere so I cleaned out the compartment and the mileage went up considerably.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts