·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
Food for larger carnivorous creatures?

·
Registered
96 Toyota Camry
28 Posts
Ha. That's funny, because I found a big nest of paper from a critter and poop :poop:in my airbox this past weekend too. Just no actual critter, thank God. But I don't know how many HP I was robbed of, because I haven't been racing it at the track.:laugh:

Re: Air Filter Maintenance - if you just peek into the top - it looks white and clean, and if you just bought the car you assume the prior owner just put in a new filter. Or, even if you've owned the car a long time like me, but you have a bad memory, you just think it still looks new so it isn't time for another filter.

You have to take the filter out and look at the bottom side to see the dirt and know it's time to change it, and the bottom of the airbox for even more surprises like sticks, missing socks, and as we now know, rats.

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
themz rats are fierece out here tho...

trapped 6 last week
and tonite the trap went off, I heard commotion, and nothing on the trap but a bloody rat-tail! (no body)

..reset the trap in case the other half of him returns... and yes I got a kitten now too, but she's too young to go outside... hoping her smell scares off the varmits

:(

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Whoa quite an infestation! Could'a done without the hi res ants...

Good on you for using traps, poison also kills foxes/coyotes/raptors etc.

In the woods of N- Cal they have a design for a trap using a big bucket

they die pretty horribly by drowning after swimming for a couple hours, some use antifreeze in the bucket but then you can't leave them for scavengers (the circle of LIFE!)
Design works even better for mice, people say they've caught > 20 in a day or two

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Whoa quite an infestation! Could'a done without the hi res ants...

Good on you for using traps, poison also kills foxes/coyotes/raptors etc.

In the woods of N- Cal they have a design for a trap using a big bucket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb0tDJpgrpQ

they die pretty horribly by drowning after swimming for a couple hours, some use antifreeze in the bucket but then you can't leave them for scavengers (the circle of LIFE!)
Design works even better for mice, people say they've caught > 20 in a day or two

- what exactly do you bait the spindle with?
- I mean how do you ensure the bait stays on the spindle and doesnt just spin off and fall into the water?
- thanks for sharing
- my car is now down 14 rat-power (RP)... prolly gained about 2 horse-power tho...

:)

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
Awwww.... They're kinda cute li'l buggers! Minus the crushed skulls and ants eating their eyeballs!

I get what I think are Norway rats. BIG ones. Yours look like woodrats.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
- what exactly do you bait the spindle with?
- I mean how do you ensure the bait stays on the spindle and doesnt just spin off and fall into the water?
- thanks for sharing
- my car is now down 14 rat-power (RP)... prolly gained about 2 horse-power tho...:)

Bucket trap is baited with what every rodent trap should be baited with: cheapest oily corn-sweetened creamy peanut butter!!

They CANNOT resist it!

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Awwww.... They're kinda cute li'l buggers! Minus the crushed skulls and ants eating their eyeballs!

I get what I think are Norway rats. BIG ones. Yours look like woodrats.

- YES!
- wood-rats
- that's what they are
- they might be eating the seeds in the garden

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
- today's catch
- the official number is 17 caught in 15 consecutive days since the airbox-incident..
- I'm going to start naming them versus numbering them I think......
- note the varmint cemetery in the background
- I am keeping Toyota safe

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
- how do you keep the peanut butter on the spindle?
- what brand sticks the most?

Ummm they all do?

Try Jif!! Paint the can/spindle middle a good thick layer you can heat peanut butter in microwave to make MAX sticky, it should stay on unless its real hot. Put in shade, run overnight etc. Rats is nocturnal mainly, or crepuscular*

* not really, they're nocturnal but I love that word ;)

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ummm they all do?

Try Jif!! Paint the can/spindle middle a good thick layer you can heat peanut butter in microwave to make MAX sticky, it should stay on unless its real hot. Put in shade, run overnight etc. Rats is nocturnal mainly, or crepuscular*

* not really, they're nocturnal but I love that word ;)
- Jif might be a little too high-dollar for mah blood
- might need to use the family-dollar version.. since we're talking about crepuscular rat bait here
- problem is it is desert here, so hot, I am concerned the PB won wont adhere to the spindle
- perhaps peanutbutter suspended in silicone caulk?
- either way I will give it a try, thanks for the suggestions..

·
Various Toyotas
4,267 Posts
If this thread were a movie, it would be rated:

A good rat is a dead rat, btw......or one which volunteers for scientific experiments.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts