Toyota Nation Forum banner

Filler' Up!!!

2K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  msibille 
#1 ·
Hey guys/gals

When i fill my taco up, it clicks off quite early with the nozzle all the way in. I can squeez at least another $3-$5 (canadian) in if i back the nozzle out a little and fill slower. WTF? If i wanna get this truck TOTALLY fully, i look like an idiot at the pumps for like 5 min, clicking the pump on/off constantly.

Anyone else experience this?

Adam

#4 ·
gotta agree. its like when you pee. one shake and done.

#9 ·
But he wants it "truck TOTALLY fully"

Astorms, Its going to be ok if you dont get that extra 1/2 gallon or so. :thumbup:

#10 ·
Frankly i think your wasting your money "topping" things up at the end of a fill. After two years in the oil patch and hours spent filling gasonling and diesels i've noticed that fuel you get with a moderate sqeeze on the nozzle in comparason to wide open doesnt work out in your favor. For example we'd pump 5$ worth (wide open) into a pail then another 5$ worth in another pail squeezing half throttle or less. You get less for your money is what i am saying. May only be a buck or two here and there but who likes to waste money. Stop at the first click.

#15 ·
Frankly i think your wasting your money "topping" things up at the end of a fill. After two years in the oil patch and hours spent filling gasonling and diesels i've noticed that fuel you get with a moderate sqeeze on the nozzle in comparason to wide open doesnt work out in your favor. For example we'd pump 5$ worth (wide open) into a pail then another 5$ worth in another pail squeezing half throttle or less. You get less for your money is what i am saying. May only be a buck or two here and there but who likes to waste money. Stop at the first click.

Huh? If you stop filling at $5, fast or slow, it should be the same volume of liquid. Is there something that I am not understanding?

#12 ·
No everyone has it all wrong
You must have a female tacoma

Hey guys/gals

When i fill my taco up, it clicks off quite early with the nozzle all the way in. I can squeez at least another $3-$5 (canadian) in if i back the nozzle out a little and fill slower. WTF? If i wanna get this truck TOTALLY fully, i look like an idiot at the pumps for like 5 min, clicking the pump on/off constantly.

Anyone else experience this?

Adam

#13 ·
Hey guys/gals

When i fill my taco up, it clicks off quite early with the nozzle all the way in. I can squeez at least another $3-$5 (canadian) in if i back the nozzle out a little and fill slower.
It's a gasser not a diesel; no need to fill it slowly. Just fill it up to the first click, maybe a couple of extras for the hell of it.

#23 · (Edited)
You won't immediately notice a prblm, and depending on the fill neck, and the fuel pump, it may be better or worse. But as noted by earlier posts- you should not try to "jamb" everything you can into the tank.
Since the 1970s, the caps have been sealed, not free vented to atmosphere (hence the reason for the O-ring on the cap, and the loose fuel cap warning from the MIL). Fumes are routed via a hose to the carbon canister. A system of valves allows those fumes to be piped back to the intake when the engine is running. If you fill too full, you run the risk of fuel getting into that line, then all the way back to the canister. Once "fuel logged", it's junk. It's several hundred dollars retail.

My dad had the habit of clicking over and over -until he trashed his cannister.
One or two clicks should be sufficient.
I personally fill quickly to the first click, then a slower fill rate till it clicks, then shake. ;)
(The trigger will click off early at high flow rates, so the combination gets me out of there quickly, but still with a "full" but not "over-full" tank.)

Want more fuel to carry around with you, better to buy a jerry can and mount it, or add an aux fuel tank. (OTOH, you're just carrying extra weight.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.