Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just ordered the mandrel bent tubing from J.C. Whitney, and I'm undecided on the filter, I have about $60 to spend on the filter, and am not quite sure what filter to go with.

My ideas so far are:

TRD (do they even have universal filters?)
K&N (I really liked the idea of the titanium tipped one)
FRAM Air-hog (haven't heard anything about them)
Weapon-R (supposedly pretty close to K&N)

What'd you guys like and why?
Thanks.

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
ive got k&n universal on mine. they've got a really wide selection of dimensions, if you're tight on space that'd be a big plus

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
go with k&n, its a good filter and they have them in every shape imaginable

·
TRD Guy
588 Posts
yea, i would recommend k&n cuz a lot of ppl use it and have no trouble :thumbup:

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
k&n is nice. our gen4.5 has one in it after our OEM one went bad, and it runs a lot nicer.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok, next question, this one may be for the cai guys, what's the clearance like around the filter on a cai?

If I can fit it, I'd like to put in one of the K&N titanium topped filters, I don't know what it is, but I've always had a thing for titanium. I guess some people like CF, I on the other hand like titanium.

I'm guessing there's adapters that you can buy to adjust the piping to the filter size, so if that were the case, I'd be able to go with that and get the titanium one, providing clearance is ok.

Specs on the smallest K&N titanium is this:

Mounting inside: 4-1/2"
Base diameter: 5-7/8"
Top diameter: 4-1/2"
Filter length: 5"
Flange length: 5/8"
Flange type: Centered

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nevermind what I said. I'm just going to get a 2.5" flange inlet by 6" long by 5.5" wide K&N.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
K&N, reasons: search any filter post I have ever done :)

Air-Hog are often used in muscle cars. I figure they would be just as good.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SmokingTiresV6 said:
K&N, reasons: search any filter post I have ever done :)

Air-Hog are often used in muscle cars. I figure they would be just as good.
I've just never heard about the Air-Hog's in imports, so I'm not so sure if I'm into trying a mixed boat.

The K&N's seem good, but I'm still unsure of the shape of it. I mean, the oval filters seem like they'd be better; according to K&N's FAQ. which states that a wider filter that's not as long will provide more power than a long filter that's not as wide.

Considering all of this, I think the oval would be ideal, but I'm not sure of if anyone has tried one on the Camry or how it would fit in there.

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
i don't know anyone people who use ovals, camry or the like.

·
4u2nv
1,498 Posts
Just installed a TRD AIR FILTER 2 weeks back. Didn't notice any big changes. Just feels as if the gears change more smoothly and the engine doesn't roar as loud as before. Maybe this is just in my head and it didn't make any difference :confused:

·
Its still a Camry.
1991 Lexus Es250
522 Posts
Ive got a weapon-R set up on my car, on Ebay ive been seeing these TRD exchangable filters, they look pretty nice.n Im happy with my Weapon-r Dragon intake so far, good sound, good increase in power for an intake. You can get the filters I think for like $30? Check ebay for universal filters.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ok, I'm decided for sure.

K&N 2.5" filter with the 5.5" base diameter and 4.5" length.

I'll order it Friday, I don't expect the pipe to be here until next week anyway since JC ships using ups ground.

I also ordered some Polarg hyper-white 168's to try out, supposedly they're 18w, as opposed to their 5w 194's (which I have now). More fuel to feed my long quest for a good corner bulb.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts