Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fitment is a little off, but I'm honestly happy enough with it. It's a K&N Typhoon. It sounds amazing, the little 4 banger sounds pretty aggressive for what it is.

Looking at a TRD Strut brace next since that's also super easy. Just need to buy a torque wrench for that. According to Monkeywrenchracing.com the TRD sway bar and lowering springs also fit the XRS, though Toyota's official site says it doesn't. Though, I've cross referenced parts between both the Corolla, Matrix Base, Matrix S/XR, and pretty much everything I would be replacing should fit, because they all use the exact same parts. Unfortunately, the second gen matrix XRS is a little bit of a unicorn, and not too many people mod them, let alone own one.

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
311 Posts
View attachment 305031 The fitment is a little off, but I'm honestly happy enough with it. It's a K&N Typhoon. It sounds amazing, the little 4 banger sounds pretty aggressive for what it is.

Looking at a TRD Strut brace next since that's also super easy. Just need to buy a torque wrench for that. According to Monkeywrenchracing.com the TRD sway bar and lowering springs also fit the XRS, though Toyota's official site says it doesn't. Though, I've cross referenced parts between both the Corolla, Matrix Base, Matrix S/XR, and pretty much everything I would be replacing should fit, because they all use the exact same parts. Unfortunately, the second gen matrix XRS is a little bit of a unicorn, and not too many people mod them, let alone own one.
It looks good! I wanted to do an intake but settled with a k&n drop in instead.

Have you also check some of the scion TC parts. Some of the members here have used TC interior parts. Some other parts may also fit though.

Also If you find good deals on the sway bars plz post them. I've been looking for a rear sway bar and other suspension mods but they cost an arm and 2 legs to buy and ship them to Canada

·
Registered
09 Corolla Base 17 Camry SE
2,473 Posts
View attachment 305031 The fitment is a little off, but I'm honestly happy enough with it. It's a K&N Typhoon. It sounds amazing, the little 4 banger sounds pretty aggressive for what it is.

The Matrix is heavier in the front compared to a regular Toyota because of the bigger engine. Eibach once made springs for the XRS but discontinued them. Might be worth searching for a set.

·
06SpduBcaB
39 Posts
Nice mod.
Your right about 2nd Gens being Unicorns. I commute in my 09 Matrix and drive over 100+ miles a day round trip. I rarely see another Matrix, and when I do. . . It would be weeks until I see another.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Matrix is heavier in the front compared to a regular Toyota because of the bigger engine. Eibach once made springs for the XRS but discontinued them. Might be worth searching for a set.
I've heard about that. Iirc the TRD springs are just rebranded Eibach springs or something along those. lines.

And even then the Toyota website says it fits the S model, which has the 2.4L optional. It's just really weird inconsistent across all different websites.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice mod.
Your right about 2nd Gens being Unicorns. I commute in my 09 Matrix and drive over 100+ miles a day round trip. I rarely see another Matrix, and when I do. . . It would be weeks until I see another.
I see second gen Matrix's every now and then. Only half as much as a first gen. Never seen a first gen XRS in person and only seen one other second gen XRS near me. Lots of people really didn't go for that XRS trim, even in Corollas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks good! I wanted to do an intake but settled with a k&n drop in instead.

Have you also check some of the scion TC parts. Some of the members here have used TC interior parts. Some other parts may also fit though.

Also If you find good deals on the sway bars plz post them. I've been looking for a rear sway bar and other suspension mods but they cost an arm and 2 legs to buy and ship them to Canada
I've been looking at the Scions mostly to try and gauge how an exhaust mod would sound. Magnaflow makes a Catback for 600 USD... not worth it for what I want. There are no axlebacks, so I'm resorting to universal mufflers.

I'll keep an eye out for them. Check Toyotas official website, they might have a dealer discount. Best bet would be trying for a third party one. TRD goes for like 200 US, but I've seen like Megan Racing sell them for like 100 US.
Yep I've seen those before. Even though I've pretty much elaborated that some Corolla parts may fit the Matrix XRS, still just really paranoid of spending a couple hundred on something that might not even fit my car.

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
311 Posts
I've been looking at the Scions mostly to try and gauge how an exhaust mod would sound. Magnaflow makes a Catback for 600 USD... not worth it for what I want. There are no axlebacks, so I'm resorting to universal mufflers.

I'll keep an eye out for them. Check Toyotas official website, they might have a dealer discount. Best bet would be trying for a third party one. TRD goes for like 200 US, but I've seen like Megan Racing sell them for like 100 US.

Yep I've seen those before. Even though I've pretty much elaborated that some Corolla parts may fit the Matrix XRS, still just really paranoid of spending a couple hundred on something that might not even fit my car.
I hear ya there. That's where I'm at with an RSB. Don't want to order one and have it not fit and then be stuck with a paperweight

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
311 Posts
Progress is the only brand I have found that specifically lists a RSB for the Matrix although I'm not sure if it is trim specific. Progress Technology, 62.2151, rear anti sway bar, 09-14 Corolla ,09-13 Matrix, Toyota
Progress and TRD both seem to list the matrix too. (TRD sometimes depending on where you look) But one your paying out your ass for.

I've been trying to cross reference RSBs for my matrix too but no avail.

I have noticed that some sites will list an RSB for the corolla AND matrix that fits certain years (ex, 08-13\2014+).

And others will list an RSB stating it only fits the corolla, years 2008-2013 only.

But the corolla and matrix are both on the E140 chassis so by that logic any RSB that's for the E140 should fit shouldnt it?

I want to buy a RSB for my matrix but don't want to buy the "wrong" part and have an expensive metal bar I cannot use.
I also don't want to get gouged on the price and shipping (cuz I'm in Canada and exchange is stupid)

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
9,102 Posts
You make the exhaust/muffler fit. That's all you do if there are no plug-in-play parts. Though in my case mine was plug-in-play but it is exhaust work. You either bolt it, sleeve it, clamp it, or weld it.

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
311 Posts
You make the exhaust/muffler fit. That's all you do if there are no plug-in-play parts. Though in my case mine was plug-in-play but it is exhaust work. You either bolt it, sleeve it, clamp it, or weld it.
Agreed there. I've found that most times you save money doing a custom fit exhaust.
Imo with a kit paying for a shiny metal tube on the corolla that won't make any more power then a cut and weld job at an exhaust shop.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
Agreed there. I've found that most times you save money doing a custom fit exhaust.
Imo with a kit paying for a shiny metal tube on the corolla that won't make any more power then a cut and weld job at an exhaust shop.
But it still looks good! Otherwise it's just one or the other. You find a plug-in-play or you customize so it depends on availability of parts and preference.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
That's true yes. Availability is the biggest thing.
TC, Corolla, Matrix, Camry, Rav4, and Highlander. My assumption in parts availability for the 2AZ-FE:
  1. TC
    1. It's a race car
  2. Camry
    1. It's a popular car
  3. Corolla
    1. It's a popular niche car
  4. Matrix
    1. It's a niche car (not a bad thing)
  5. Rav4
    1. "No one" cares
  6. Highlander
    1. "No one" really cares

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
311 Posts
TC, Corolla, Matrix, Camry, Rav4, and Highlander. My assumption in parts availability for the 2AZ-FE:
  1. TC
    1. It's a race car
  2. Camry
    1. It's a popular car
  3. Corolla
    1. It's a popular niche car
  4. Matrix
    1. It's a niche car (not a bad thing)
  5. Rav4
    1. "No one" cares
  6. Highlander
    1. "No one" really cares
I'm confused by your list. Unless I can't brain today it doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
I'm confused by your list. Unless I can't brain today it doesn't make sense.
It's just my assumption on aftermarket parts viability for the 2AZ-FE equipped models. TC's would have the most. Camry's will have some. Then the Corolla's and Matrix's will be a bit limited and the Rav4's and Highlanders... I sorta doubt there is anything out there for them...

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
311 Posts
It's just my assumption on aftermarket parts viability for the 2AZ-FE equipped models. TC's would have the most. Camry's will have some. Then the Corolla's and Matrix's will be a bit limited and the Rav4's and Highlanders... I sorta doubt there is anything out there for them...
Ahhh gotcha gotcha. I'm sure there's some Lexus specific parts that will fit those models too.
But the 2AZ an older engine. Looks like they don't use it in many....if any US/Canadian cars anymore.

At Least the engine had the option of a supercharger.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts