Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,863 Posts
Ahhh gotcha gotcha. I'm sure there's some Lexus specific parts that will fit those models too.
But the 2AZ an older engine. Looks like they don't use it in many....if any US/Canadian cars anymore.

At Least the engine had the option of a supercharger.
Ignoring the engine, there should be some for the rest. But engine specifically, exhaust, CAI's, racing headers, those vary widely.

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Pontiac Vibe
3,323 Posts
Congrats on doing your first mod! A short ram intake definitely makes both the 2ZR and 2AZ sing a lot better and I love how mine sounds with my Spectre short ram on it!
Unfortunately, the second gen matrix XRS is a little bit of a unicorn, and not too many people mod them, let alone own one.
I'd say the same about the 2nd gen Vibe's being unicorns in the modding world as well, if not, they're even more of a unicorn. Apart from my own, I've barely seen any other 2nd gen Vibes that have been modded!

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
304 Posts
Congrats on doing your first mod! A short ram intake definitely makes both the 2ZR and 2AZ sing a lot better and I love how mine sounds with my Spectre short ram on it!

I'd say the same about the 2nd gen Vibe's being unicorns in the modding world as well, if not, they're even more of a unicorn. Apart from my own, I've barely seen any other 2nd gen Vibes that have been modded!
View attachment 305153
My old co worker had a vibe. Had the k series swap in it too.

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
304 Posts
Was his a 1st gen Vibe or 2nd gen Vibe? I'm guessing 1st gen since MWR sells parts to put a K series in a 9th gen Corolla.
Deffs a first gen.
He told me he had a vibe with a fast Honda engine and it's like the toyotas. Turns out his uncle who he bought it from, bought it with a blown engine and deciced the swap was a more reliable engine and way more fun to drive.

·
06SpduBcaB
38 Posts
You guys are right about finding an exhaust system for the Matrix. Pretty tough. I'm currently building my own system. From flange to flange. (Header collector to muffler. ) I had a buddy cut the collector flange at work. I have all the tubing and rear flange ready to go. Now I need to find time to piece it together and weld.

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
304 Posts
You guys are right about finding an exhaust system for the Matrix. Pretty tough. I'm currently building my own system. From flange to flange. (Header collector to muffler. ) I had a buddy cut the collector flange at work. I have all the tubing and rear flange ready to go. Now I need to find time to piece it together and weld.
Wow you really are going full custom.
Would love to see build pictures!

·
06SpduBcaB
38 Posts
Which bars do you have in the front of your car?
I have the Megan race spec front upper strut bar, Megan front sway bar and the Megan crossmember bar. All of these pieces were marketed towards the Corolla. But some sites had them fitting the Matrix, which is weird.

I will definitely take some construction pics of the exhaust build!

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
304 Posts
I have the Megan race spec front upper strut bar, Megan front sway bar and the Megan crossmember bar. All of these pieces were marketed towards the Corolla. But some sites had them fitting the Matrix, which is weird.

I will definitely take some construction pics of the exhaust build!
I eventually want to do some suspension work on my car. Hopefully soon when I can get back to work..

And please do. We need more project posts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dirt is the enemy of your engine. Any air filter that flows more air, without a larger surface area, must also flow more dirt. If you care more about how it sounds than how long it lasts, have at it!

The race car without an air filter has more power at the start of the race, but the one with the air filter has more power at the end of the race.

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
304 Posts
Dirt is the enemy of your engine. Any air filter that flows more air, without a larger surface area, must also flow more dirt. If you care more about how it sounds than how long it lasts, have at it!

The race car without an air filter has more power at the start of the race, but the one with the air filter has more power at the end of the race.
And an air filter with extremely good filtering qualities reduces air flow.

Regardless of what you do you gain some and you lose some. But I'm sure most of the people here with their corollas and matrix aren't running their cars in a Baja race or ripping up sand dunes.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,863 Posts
And an air filter with extremely good filtering qualities reduces air flow.

Regardless of what you do you gain some and you lose some. But I'm sure most of the people here with their corollas and matrix aren't running their cars in a Baja race or ripping up sand dunes.
Even if the dirt does harm the engine, by the time that happens the engine will likely already need an overhaul anyway so it wouldn't matter much. In the end, it's what the person wants whether it is good or bad.

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
304 Posts
Even if the dirt does harm the engine, by the time that happens the engine will likely already need an overhaul anyway so it wouldn't matter much. In the end, it's what the person wants whether it is good or bad.
Exactly. Let people do what they want to do.

Besides if aftermarket filters were that bad for engines then I'm sure most of those manufacturers wouldn't still be around after how many years. (k&n has been around for about 50 years)

Project farm putting dirt Into a lawnmower engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Progress and TRD both seem to list the matrix too. (TRD sometimes depending on where you look) But one your paying out your ass for.

I've been trying to cross reference RSBs for my matrix too but no avail.

I have noticed that some sites will list an RSB for the corolla AND matrix that fits certain years (ex, 08-13\2014+).

And others will list an RSB stating it only fits the corolla, years 2008-2013 only.

But the corolla and matrix are both on the E140 chassis so by that logic any RSB that's for the E140 should fit shouldnt it?

I want to buy a RSB for my matrix but don't want to buy the "wrong" part and have an expensive metal bar I cannot use.
I also don't want to get gouged on the price and shipping (cuz I'm in Canada and exchange is stupid)
I've seen websites list coilovers and claim they don't fit the XRS and other websites that list the same exact thing but no disclaimer about fitment. I've checked 3rd party stores and manufacturer websites and it's all so inconsistent.

It doesn't help that second gen Matrix XRS are absolute unicorns, especially with people who want to mod it.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts