Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been working on upgrading my sound system since last September. I thought about just adding an HU to the factory JBL system but I did not think that I would get good quailty sound that way. Sooo... I went the whole route. Satellite radio, navigation, cd changer, monitors, amps, bluetooth, and new speakers. I also wanted 2 subs and 2 amps in the rear but in order to get the best sound I had to custom make my enclosure. Here's some pics of the entire install and some notes along the way.

Thanks to all of you who posted ideas and pics on the forum as many of those ideas are included in this install.

I used 3/4 in MDF here. The enclosures are .378 cu ft and deep enough to hold 1 JL Audio 8W3V2 each side. They are wired serial on the voice coils and parallel to the JL 250/1 ending up with a 4 ohm load. All joints are tongue and groove, glued with polyurethane glue, fastened with a brad nailer, and clamped until dry. All bracing was subtracted from the volume measurements. I added the Polyfill to give it a tighter sound. The SQ is superb. The 300/4 drives 4-XR650-CSi's in each door.

Here's a couple of pics of the cab once it was stripped. I went with Raamat all around including the roof. The doors have Raamat in the outer and inner panel and Ensolite over Raamat on the inner panel. I made my own speaker adapters from MDF. All door panels still have the factory look with the exception of the rear passenger doors. I added the tweeters there. Once the entire cab was wrapped with Raamat I wrapped it again with Ensolite. It's extremely quiet now.

Here's the result! Too bad you can't hear it. I used the Scosche dash kit, I have Nesa and Performance Teknique monitors, a Nesa A/V switchbox, Pioneer AVIC-Z1, XM adapter, Bluetooth adapter, 6-disk changer, PAC steering wheel control adapter, Autopage 860LCD remote start alarm, Key Override SL key override, DEI power window control, and I added the Muth signal mirrors while I had the doors apart.

Here's a couple more pics of my truck including the custom interior that I had installed a while back. I had the work done at Westside Upholstery in Houston. The embroidery work was done at another shop here in Houston. The back seats follow the same theme as the front without the TRD logo.

Next??? I need to take a few breaths first but, I'll be looking under the hood to see what I can do about getting a few more horsepower. Hmm... maybe a supercharger??? Better not let my wife see this!!! Anyway I need the $$$ first!

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
holy crap that's nice! the seats are awesome!

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
2,827 Posts
FUCK nicest setup ive seen. Not over dramatic. Looks good man.

How you like those amps. How many watts for the subs? Im thinking about getting a JL amp for my JLw3v3.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The subs are rated at 125 watts each. The 250/1 is a 250 watt amp stable down to 2 ohms. JL amps automatically adjust to the load so you always get full output once you go through the 9 step setup. They ROCK!!! SQ is excellent and they are tight as hell and the Polyfill really helps to dampen the sound.

For what I had to do tho get this right I don't think I'll be doing this again for a while so DCab4X407 My price would be way too much for you!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nicely done. :thumbup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
how much we talkin, but i wont have monitors in the visors or anything like that, just the head rests, and hu, and amps and subs, thats it really...

·
Red Headed Slut
1,843 Posts
Totally love the setup man. I'm not sure what's nicer, the sub/amp rack combo, or the leather!

Although, I'm not knocking the system AT ALL, why didn't you go with a pair of 10s? Or wasn't their enough room with your two amps?

Either way, I love your setup. :thumbup: :thumbup: way up!

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rodge said:
Totally love the setup man. I'm not sure what's nicer, the sub/amp rack combo, or the leather!

Although, I'm not knocking the system AT ALL, why didn't you go with a pair of 10s? Or wasn't their enough room with your two amps?

Either way, I love your setup. :thumbup: :thumbup: way up!
Rodge, I wanted all JL equipment and subs on each corner but their other speakers needed more space to optimize the sound. I would have had to find somewhere else to put the amps but with the other adapters that I installed I was running out. I stuck with the 2-8's because of that. I won't get the SPL of 10's but these 8's are putting out some clean sound and they are a perfect match for the 250/1.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
nice job man, i did complete interior sound deadening also with raamat and ensolite, much quieter now.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Nice install. :thumbup: How did you like working with the RaamMat? Good stuff huh? It makes the doors sound a lot sturdier when you shut them. It just makes the interior feel and sound more like a luxury vehicle.

Did I miss it, or did you forget to mention what drivers you put in the doors?
What wiring, and signal cables did you go with? Battery?

I had JL 8W6's in my last truck, and it was plenty of thump. It blew away most other 10" subs. A good 8" sub with a big amp can put out more than enough bass for a SQ audiophile. Plus 8" subs are an easy fit in a truck. Sometimes I wish I would have gone with a smaller sub ( I have a 12").

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
super nice job!

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
Damn dude. I'm far from an audiophile, but that is impressive. You must be in the business (or you once were)?:thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts