Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can use a vacuum to find an exhaust leak with soapy water.

I don't have the shop vacuum with two holes in it.

My question is: Can I spray soapy water while the engine is HOT (from a few minutes) to identify the leak or it's dangerous?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,025 Posts
the hot pipe will make the soapy water evaporate so quickly it won't be able to make bubbles like you need

if you hold your hand near (but not touching the hot pipe) each joint, you can sometimes feel the pulses when there is a leak

Vangm25's idea of having someone else block the end of the tailpipe (use a piece of wood if it is too warm for them to use their hand) would make it even easier to feel the air pulsing out of a leaking joint.

·
500,000 + Miles
2000 Solara
464 Posts
I can't help you with the soapy water idea but I can say I recently replaced the manifold on my car. It developed a crack and ultimately I could hear it with the hood up. My car is a V6 so the manifold near the fire wall is very difficult to see. I'm quite sure the cause of my manifold crack was worn engine mounts and too much engine movement. If you are looking for an exhaust leak and you know your engine mounts are worn....take a close look at your exhaust manifold.

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6
342 Posts
Get a 1lb bag of glitter and dump it Inna 12x2' patch where you park your car.

Drive over it, put it in park, then open the door and shove your head under the rocker panel while you floor it.

Wherever the glitter flies into your eyes from is where it's leaking, then just pick up the glitter and put it back in the bag.

You can also use shredded Styrofoam, packing peanuts, or flour.

·
short-throw dipstick
6,165 Posts
Get a 1lb bag of glitter and dump it Inna 12x2' patch where you park your car.

Drive over it, put it in park, then open the door and shove your head under the rocker panel while you floor it.

Wherever the glitter flies into your eyes from is where it's leaking, then just pick up the glitter and put it back in the bag.

You can also use shredded Styrofoam, packing peanuts, or flour.

OP, don't necessarily need a shop vac but is nice. Can use a regular household vacuum. Anything that sucks OR blows, just duct tape to the exhaust tip and turn on, then follow the piping and feel where it's coming out or sucking in.

Reactions: Solaraboy07

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Use the simple old-fashioned method. Start the car. Have a second person hold a rag over the tail pipe while you look, listen and/or feel for the leak. Finding exhaust leaks is not that complicated.

Mike

·
イリジウム
12,293 Posts
Right, simpler methods work. No need to be complicated.

Start with the flex pipe. That's a problem spot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts