Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1999 Camry V6 Auto
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, I'm installing an amp. I know all that is needed to know about wiring it up. I'm just trying to figure out how to get my 4AWG power cable through the firewall without having to resort to drilling a hole of my own. I'd prefer to run it along the left side of the car cause thats whe side the battery is on.

I had a look around and found me two holes that I could possibly run it through...

The first is the obvious route:

But I'm worried about interference with those other wires, which look like they have alot do do with controlling how the engine runs. I also don't know where this hole ends up on the other side.

Next route is going almost under the car:

...But at least I know where it ends up on the other side:

My main concern about this route is that it goes under the car a bit, and it'd be a pain to get it through there and try to secure it so it doesn't move around. It'd be exposed to the elements a bit more aswell.

So which way would be better? I'm thinking it'd be the second, but what do I know?

Or would it be better if I just drilled a hole of my own? (That's the last thing I'd want to do.)

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
Your's is setup a bit different then mine, but I had a small hole where the wires for the alarm went through, so I just widened that enough for the 4AWG wire to fit through. It took me forever to find a place that worked. I wouldnt recommend going on the underside of the car though.

It's a bit hard to tell, but you may be able to get an idea from this pic:

·
1999 Camry V6 Auto
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that is different (My car is right hand drive).

When you had your alarm installed, did they drill a hole of their own or use an existing one?

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
i drilled a hole.
on the driver side up and under the dash, left of where the brake pedal meets the fire wall there is this part of the plastic/rubber sheeting that has a precut hole in it. You can remove that small piece fairly easily. After doing that, i drilled a hole and it came out the other side of the firewall. It works pretty well for me, and doesnt interfere with anything, but i know most people don't like to drill.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
nevermind my post. i thought you said you had the left hand drive car...
i looked at your pic again and was confused but i get it now. so just ignore what i said as it would cause you to run the wire far and long.

·
1999 Camry V6 Auto
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unco said:
i'd go for the 1st option too, Eyebrows7. it's the easiest and closest route between the battery and the car interior. the bloke that installed my unit used the same hole in the firewall.
Do you know where it ends up on the other side?

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
All of the following left and right designations below will use sitting in the driver seat facing forward a the point of reference.

This is how I ran my power wire in my 00 Camry. The wire runs through the left side of the engine bay into that hole behind the left strut tower. That hole leads into the left front wheel well. When I took the plastic cover in wheel well off, it revealed a hole that went through the firewall and came out above and to the left of the pedals inside my left hand drive car.

·
1999 Camry V6 Auto
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, I've decided to to go the obvious way. I pulled out the glovebox compartment and figured out where the hole ended up from the inside. But I noticed a load of electronic kinda computer boxes around that area and I'm just gonna hope the power cable doesn't interfere with any of them.

Thanks for your help guys.

·
WALKING AND TRAVELING SUX
290 Posts
if u drill a hole, put some silicone to seal up the hole around the wire. that will also prevent the wire from moving around too much and being cut by the metal around the hole. but dont worry those wires have thick plastic casings.or u can put a rubber grommet. post pics of the stereo in this thread when u are done. goodluck

·
Registered
Gen 3 Camry
445 Posts
Eyebrows7 said:
Do you know where it ends up on the other side?
hi mate, sorry for the late reply. been away for a couple of days. it sounds like you figured it out though. yes, it does end up around the back of the glovebox. as for the power cable interfering with other devices nearby, use cable ties to route it along the desired path. cheers and happy australia day long weekend.

·
1999 Camry V6 Auto
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
umeshr85 said:
post pics of the stereo in this thread when u are done. goodluck
Will do...

I might have to Shorten those wires in the last pic. I just kept them that long just incase the sub box moved around. I don't want anything getting disconnected.

All in all, I reckon I did a pretty damn good job, especially for my first ever install.

·
1999 Camry V6 Auto
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Unco. Now that I think about it, that hole in the rubber that I covered up looks like it'll fall off after a week. I'll do it properly tomorrow.

Next Project: CLEAN MY DAMN CAR! Believe it or not, its dirty as.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts