Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from a second gen Highlander I was happy with, I worked through a huge spreadsheet and many dealer visits to test EV and ICE SUVs... just to end up with another Highlander. The old Highlander was trustworthy and I like the new design and technology for 2020.

However, first day with the HL 2020 hasn't been perfect. I'd like to hear if others have seen similar issues.
  • Burning plastic smell after turning off the car. Can't figure out where it's coming from. Dealer says it's a coating on the engine that burns off?
  • Right side daytime running light LED strip doesn't work
  • No floor mats in stock at dealer nor does Weathertech have a 2020 version yet.
  • The third row backing seems loose / unattached? It never sits flat when put down and bunches up in the up position. It doesn't seem like it needs to be like this to swing up or down. Do others see this? It seems like it can't be intentional.

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Coming from a second gen Highlander I was happy with, I worked through a huge spreadsheet and many dealer visits to test EV and ICE SUVs... just to end up with another Highlander. The old Highlander was trustworthy and I like the new design and technology for 2020.

However, first day with the HL 2020 hasn't been perfect. I'd like to hear if others have seen similar issues.
  • Burning plastic smell after turning off the car. Can't figure out where it's coming from. Dealer says it's a coating on the engine that burns off?
  • Right side daytime running light LED strip doesn't work
  • No floor mats in stock at dealer nor does Weathertech have a 2020 version yet.
  • The third row backing seems loose / unattached? It never sits flat when put down and bunches up in the up position. It doesn't seem like it needs to be like this to swing up or down. Do others see this? It seems like it can't be intentional.
View attachment 292796

Thanks

Hello,
The burning smell goes away after about 1 hour of driving or 25 miles or so on the car. basically yes the factory coats the engine in oil to 1 check for leaks but also just keeps it clean during transit. it is uncomfortable but you bought your highlander with 25 miles or fewer its common.

the DRL is a factory defect, your dealer can fix this complementary for you. just call service or your salesperson

floor mats are easily ordered and shipped by Toyota, typically the next business day available. make sure they aren't charging you for floor mats that were on your car and simply stolen.

lastly, the carpet material on the back of your third-row seats is loose by design, there is a hinge there and the material cannot be taut at all times to allow for movement, the seats there fold forward and sit up, and also recline in the upright position, it needs to have some flexability to allow it to move without tearing.. once you get a cargocover you will notice a small bit of bunching on that too when the seats are up. its normal.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
829 Posts
[*]The third row backing seems loose / unattached? It never sits flat when put down and bunches up in the up position. It doesn't seem like it needs to be like this to swing up or down. Do others see this? It seems like it can't be intentional.
[/LIST]
Isn’t it attached with velcro so it can removed and cleaned/dried?

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
233 Posts
I smelled nothing and my car only had my test drive mikes on it when I left for home with it.

Mats are a sour point with me, but if they are not on your window sticker they are not in your car. Buy them via an online wholesale parts dealer. Save some money and drive time to the dealer.

Enjoy your new Highlander!

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
I had a burning smell too - very noticeable standing on the passenger side of the car. It went away in a couple of days.

I noticed today that the DRL will shut off if you activate the turn signal on that side. In other words, if you signal to turn right, the DRL on the right side of the car will turn off while the turn signal is flashing on that side. But if the DRL is always off on one side, then it's definitely a warranty issue.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I had a burning smell too - very noticeable standing on the passenger side of the car. It went away in a couple of days.

I noticed today that the DRL will shut off if you activate the turn signal on that side. In other words, if you signal to turn right, the DRL on the right side of the car will turn off while the turn signal is flashing on that side. But if the DRL is always off on one side, then it's definitely a warranty issue.
Brand new car having the burning smell for a couple of days under your ownership is actually a very good thing, that's a good indication that the dealer has not been running hard/hot or prolonged idling any more than necessary.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
380 Posts

Normal, it's so the blinker shows up. It's like that on damn near every new car for the same reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the replies, everyone!

I understand it will eventually be covered up with a cargo liner, but I'm pretty disappointed that the bare fabric liner in the cargo area looks so bad. If someone could take a similar picture in their car, I'm curious to see if it's as loose/wrinkled. At least on my car, it seems like far more slack than necessary to make the seats fold.

I'll keep waiting on the smell. The car has 115 miles on it and still has the smell come and go. Not sure what that engine coating is made of, but it's more like a burning electrical smell rather than burning oil.

The DRL is not off due to the blinker being on. I first noticed it was not working when I opened the car remotely at night. I checked a couple more times with different light settings and it is always off.

If anyone has advice on how to order the all-weather floor liners + cargo liner online, please share how it's done. I tried on the Toyota site and they only had 2019 and prior under the "years" pulldown. If I click through on 2020 years on the local dealers' parts sites, they have all other models listed except Highlander. (Also, since Bernie asked, I double checked: my HL did not have mats/floorliners on the Monroney)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually I found a video that shows some of the slack of the cargo fabric in another car. It looks similar, and of course it's hard to tell from a video, but it looks like it has less slack when down.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Don't worry - that burning smell is exactly what we're talking about. It was a little scary for me at first too because it does have a hint of electrical smell to it, but it goes away. I don't know what that coating is that's burning off.

As for the mats... the trick is to find a Toyota dealer that's selling them for less than MSRP online somewhere.

Judging by listings on eBay, it looks like the part number for the 2020 Highlander All-Weather Mats for all three rows is PT908-48200-20, and the Carpet Mats for all three rows is PT926-48200-20. MSRP for both styles is US$219.

The rear plastic cargo liner for cars with the JBL subwoofer is PT924-48200-20, and without JBL is PT924-48201-20. MSRP is US$100 on that one.

You could also call the parts department at your dealer and see what they'd sell for. Be sure they know you just bought a car there! With any luck your dealer will sell parts for less than MSRP and might give you a discount you can live with. Two out of the three closest dealers by me are stuck at MSRP, but the third gives 10% off (and sometimes more than that) if you have purchased a car there. Since the sale is fresh, you could also try working through your salesperson to see if they can give you a break on the price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As for the mats... the trick is to find a Toyota dealer that's selling them for less than MSRP online somewhere.
I don't mind the price, I just can't find any listing for it on the official Toyota website or any nearby dealers' parts sites.

Is ebay really the only way? Is it just because the car is a new model?

Edit: Thanks for the part numbers BTW!

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
I think the parts catalogs are still behind on the 2020 accessories. They are available, and some of the listings I saw on eBay were dealers. Again, start with your dealer too and see if they'll play ball on the price. (I just added that last paragraph to my previous post.)

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Platinum
26 Posts
Thank you for the replies, everyone!

I understand it will eventually be covered up with a cargo liner, but I'm pretty disappointed that the bare fabric liner in the cargo area looks so bad. If someone could take a similar picture in their car, I'm curious to see if it's as loose/wrinkled. At least on my car, it seems like far more slack than necessary to make the seats fold.

I'll keep waiting on the smell. The car has 115 miles on it and still has the smell come and go. Not sure what that engine coating is made of, but it's more like a burning electrical smell rather than burning oil.

The DRL is not off due to the blinker being on. I first noticed it was not working when I opened the car remotely at night. I checked a couple more times with different light settings and it is always off.

If anyone has advice on how to order the all-weather floor liners + cargo liner online, please share how it's done. I tried on the Toyota site and they only had 2019 and prior under the "years" pulldown. If I click through on 2020 years on the local dealers' parts sites, they have all other models listed except Highlander. (Also, since Bernie asked, I double checked: my HL did not have mats/floorliners on the Monroney)
I would go to dealer to double-check the smell and the DRL not working. Maybe the smell, especially electrical in nature, is from the DRL wiring? I hope not, but worse checking it.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
If your a CostCo member, I think they still give 15% off through their auto buying service on parts and service.

·
Registered
380 Posts

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about getting other floor mats (Weathertech or others) and most are saying they are months away at this time. I have them ordered with it, so I'm hoping they come with it, when it comes in.

As for the DRL, YES, please check it ASAP, if it is electrical, you don't want this going up in flames, and we all want to know that they said, or did to fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to the part numbers from toto, I was able to find the all-weather liners and cargo in stock at a local dealer. However, bizarrely, they won't match the online price ($237.88 before tax and shipping) if I pick it up. So I might have to wait a week to have it shipped about 5 miles.

The burning smell has dissipated, so it seems it was just the engine coating. I could never find a specific location for it. I don't think the DRL is related to the smell. I looked under the hood at the DRL wiring but didn't see any obvious problem (unplugged, burned up wire).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks to the part numbers from toto, I was able to find the all-weather liners and cargo in stock at a local dealer. However, bizarrely, they won't match the online price ($237.88 before tax and shipping) if I pick it up. So I might have to wait a week to have it shipped about 5 miles.

The burning smell has dissipated, so it seems it was just the engine coating. I could never find a specific location for it. I don't think the DRL is related to the smell. I looked under the hood at the DRL wiring but didn't see any obvious problem (unplugged, burned up wire).
When is the appointment to have the DRL checked out

·
Registered
2017 Blk L/ed Plat
58 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts