Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
finished my first real project tonight, a diy cai. got 3" piping from a local auto store, it's just steel, not stainless. i miscalculated the legnths of the pipes so i was about 3 inches short. i ended up using a soup can to make up for the lost pipe (progresso brand, for those who might follow this path :D ) and i ducttaped it all together because i couldnt find any places that had the proper rubber hosing. i was originally planning on using the rubber hosing and hose clamps to connect everything... but i guess that went down the drain. i had to use my dremel to chop out a little bit of the metal stuff under the fuse boxes to give the cai a little more room to move too. instead of gettin a mandrel bent 90 degree bend, i got this weird thing that has sections that can swivel. its actually very helpful cause i can maneuver around stuff pretty easily and have a truly good fit. on the end i have a k&n universal cone filter. i forgot to drill the hole for the hose that goes from the intake pipe to the crankcase, so i think im just going to get a little breather filter to attach to that. i cleaned the throttle body while i had the intake off too. the check engine light is on now, im not sure if that's caused by the crankcase thing or by something else, if anyone has any help on that it's much appreciated.

overall im really satisfied with the results. the engine runs a lot smoother, especially when revving. i think i lost a little bit of low end torque, but im not sure. high end pulls harder though, i can definately feel that. when going full throttle you can really hear the cai goin, and it sounds awesome, a really powerful roar. i had adrenaline running in me for the next 20 minutes cause it was so exciting :eek:. at idle the sound from the cai is sort of noticeable, though its kinda weird, sounds a bit squeeky.

now for the pics:

i guess i took epborden seriously when he said to boro a soup can onto my exhaust leak......:chug:

·
_trancemaster_
399 Posts
well... i'll give you A+ for being original, but your finished CAI doesn't look really appealing... come one man, you colud've get at least rubber hosing with clamps, mandrel piping would do much better as well... I just think it can be done more neatly:)

but hey, it works :lol:

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
Yep... definitely boro...

I do like how you put the screen in front of the filter, good idea :thumbup:

Try pulling your EFI fuse out for a couple minutes to clear the check engine light.

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know i could have done better, its definately not what i expected it to be. for soem reason no one had rubber hosing... and i didnt really want to spend a lot of money to get mandrel bent, the thingy i used instead costed like 3 bucks. i tried to be conservative on how much i spent.

which one is the efi fuse? and what does it do?

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
It's in the fuse box right above where the CAI goes through the fender, it'll be labled un the underside of the cover. EFI is Electronic Fuel Injection, when you unhook the fuse it cuts power to the ECU and clears the memory, it should reset the check engine light, and if there is something still wrong it will come on again.

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
i'd put my stamp of aproval on that!!

good job, you're getting out there, having a look at the car, taking some shit apart and learning, that's how everyone should do it

·
eeto........?
580 Posts
haha... kick ass!!!!

can't wait till summer for my CAI!!!

ALSO, where did you had to dremel off some metal to get a good fitting? if you didn't dremel anything off, would it be banging on to things? or just wouldn't fit at all?

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you guys shouldnt have a problem with fitting stuff. i was just stupid and messed up my measurements, thast the only reason i had to cut off some metal to get it to fit well. just do your measurements right and you wont have to worry about it

on the pic of the filter, right under the 90 degree turn there's a corner that looksa little rough, thats part of where i cut. i pretty much cut a little |_| out of it to give the pipe some more room

im about to go out to autozone to get a filter breather for the crankcase thing, ill also try the fuse thing to get rid of the check engine light. would the light also possibliy be left over from my stupidity when i tried to turn on the engine without the maf plugged in? :lol: it scared the hell out of me cause the engine turned then died and i was like NO IT DOESNT WORK but then i look at it and im like oh i need to plug it in

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
I think it's in the bigger of the two fuse boxes. The small one only has one fuse in it if I remember right.

It sounds like the unhooked MAF is indeed what caused the check engine light.

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
I just got finished doing my cai and I went on ebay to get the rubber couplers. It came in the form of a tube and I just sawed it into a few pieces. By the way. I used that multi-secitonal piping in my fender too. :D I got some stainless exhaust piping on ebay adn they polished it for me so it looks nice under the hood. Sounds great. I just gotta figure out how to put the fittings into pipe A to run the hosing. I have no clue. At least I got rest of it working. Good job.

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
majesticking, the hosing that needs to go into pipe A is fine by itself, it doesnt actually have to go into the intake. you can run it by itself, it just needs to be filtered. this morning i went and got a littel breather filter (like a mini cone filter thats a few inches tall) and attached that to it, and it runs fine

for soem reason overnight the check engine light went away. now it's fine.

might mart, my air filter, like in the pick, is sitting in the side of the front fender, where the resonators on the stock airbox used to be. it's right infront of the front left wheel. you'll have to take the plastic covering that lines the wheel well to get at it

·
Advanced Noob
2003 Highlander
1,023 Posts
Mighty~Mart said:
where in the engine bay does your air filter sit? i wanna do a DIY CAI but i don't know where to place the airfilter
if you do a search you'll find alot of info here.. thats what i did :thumbup:
Ive got a bunch of pics on my DIY thread if you haven't seen it already... check it out..

the filter is in the left front fender.. its basically a short ram intake extended out down into the fender so it pulls in colder air..

gL with yours, and Xevuhtess77 good job on that using what you have.. how much did you end up spending on it (progresso and all)?
i like the screen thats in front of the filter too..
if you had used 2.5" piping in stead of 3", it might have saved some of that low end torque, but hey.. its done isnt it? and it works, so thats all that matters..

bravo!

·
Advanced Noob
2003 Highlander
1,023 Posts
CamNub said:
How much should DIY CAI cost?

And is the sound it makes annoying?
i LOVE that sound of air getting sucked in from the fender!

here's my thread on how I did mine.. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t36348.html
How much you spend depends on how nice you want it to look I guess.. I spent about $130 on mine, i didnt mind, because it works great and was done well. and it really makes a difference in the butt dyno!

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i dont get how you guys can use 2.5" piping on your cai's, the 3" piping fits perfectly onto the throttle body and maf. oh well, i'd like some of the low end back but its ok, im still really happy with the results

the piping costed me 32 bucks, plus 10 cause the guy ground down one of the ends for me so that it would fit the elbow perfectly. about 5 bucks for the elbow, 10 bucks for a new roll of quality duct tape, the filter was 45 bucks, the progresso can i just got from my kitchen and cooked the soup and taped it on. the screen i found in the attic so that was free.

total: 102 bucks

1 - 20 of 68 Posts