Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Toy Newb
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new daily driver was bought with a 'crack' in the exhaust, up near the manifold. Turned out it was almost as cheap to replace it with a header as it was to buy new stock parts, so you can guess what I did... :)
Engine compartment :)puke:):

Crack in exhaust (at weld):

Broken piece (the only part that was still connected was <1cm 'spike' you can see - you can also see that someone tried to use JBweld or something to cover it up before):

Stock exhaust compared to new exhaust:

I've still got to get the stock studs out, and then get the new studs in, and then I'll get the header mounted & everything back together... :) Then I can get her inspected & registered! :woot:

The rest of the exhaust will stay stock for now...

[edit]: Yes, I know she's dirty. I've got to get her legal first...then I'll get her looking more presentable... :)

·
Daily Driven
'90 22RE
42 Posts
What header is that and where did you get it? I just sleeved/welded a crack in mine as a quick fix, and am looking to upgrade.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Hey, I got one of those.

Been running it for over a year, Very nice!

·
Registered
1989 Pickup 4WD
586 Posts
What in the world? I still can't figure out what that bar going over your header is for!

·
One with the farce
3,139 Posts
That's the turbo crossover pipe.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
jcfb said:
What in the world? I still can't figure out what that bar going over your header is for!
That is the pulse air injection manifold.

It distributes air into the exhaust to reduce HC emissions during deceleration.

·
oh-pin-yun-A-ted
Pickup
1,407 Posts
:) i like mine

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow, Those are some nice looken headers.. I just got mine at summit raceing, WHICH IS AN AMAZINGLY EASY AND CUSTMER FRIENDLY company to deal with... I HIGLY recommond em,

But my header was just a pace setter, and much to my surpise once i turned over the engine and the smoke cleared i had a very ugly looken header. The paint peeled away and it looks old.. Thats what you get for not getting a nice chrome one or cermanic one.. I didnt realize it would do that.. Live and learn... but i was only like 120$ so i cant bitch too much and the downward peice goes clear to the cat.. so replacing the exhaust shouldnt be to hard..

However the header didnt come with one of those nice sheiled gaskets like yours do to protect my spark plugs.. and of course the factory heat shield is no longer an option.. so should i worry? I just kinda firgured if it wasnt shipped with the header then it wouldnt melt my spark plug wires..

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Damn Jake, sweet headers!

·
Registered
1989 Pickup 4WD
586 Posts

·
march mudding soon!
toyota pick up
188 Posts
damn, nice header its so shinny...

·
oh-pin-yun-A-ted
Pickup
1,407 Posts
i agree with whatshisname about summit. they are awesome, especially the cust servece reps. friendly and helpful. when my hardware pack was missing pieces, they just mailed me a new pack, no questions asked :)

·
oh-pin-yun-A-ted
Pickup
1,407 Posts
Shep1 said:
Yeah, it's gonna look really outta place in that dirty engine compartment.

I hope to have the install done tonight, so I'll (hopefully) post some good news & pics on Monday... :)
mines shinier ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts