Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had their horn die on them right when they needed it the most?

Well, two days after buying my '90 SR5 the horn up and died on me. Really annoyed too because I discovered it had died when a minivan cut me off when I was doing 80kph on an 80 road and I had to slam on the brakes and slow down to about 25 in order to avoid hitting the bastage. No matter how hard I pressed, my horn would not honk. :mad:

So now I got me a new one. The fuse was fine, and the wires were good. So I yanked one of the two horns out of this car here: '75 Plymouth Duster and lucky for me it all bolted back on nicely. I only hope it doesn't blow a fuse or destroy the wires...
I believe it wants to draw over 20 amps.

... but until it dies, I'll have a nice loud horn in my 'rolla and it didn't cost me a penny. :p:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, a LOUD horn can really come in handy at times. That little "beep,beep" just doesn't cut it. I want one that acts like a cartoon character getting thier clothes ripped off when honked.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm thinking about one of them 90 db electric horns in the ol' jc whitney catalog. scare the dumb right out of them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Fiamm air horns work really good, had a set on the last couple of cars, 123 Db, around $10 at Harbor Freight.
The other day this puke was just about to cut me off when a (very)nearby train blew it's horn and the guy whipped back into his lane.Was a hot day,windows open,very funny.

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
I wanna get a truck air horn... just to see their reaction when they look back and see a little 'rolla behind them :D

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
haha.. I've been thinking of getting a horn upgrade too.. think about it.. its a "bolt on" :thumbup: :D

:lol:

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
^^ its gotta ad at least 35hp :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My last car had a weak horn, but I never got around to changing it...

lucky for me this one died on me, and the junker in our backyard was compatable and an easy "bolt on". :)

And here I though I wouldn't be modding this car for a few months...

·
Registered
'81 Corolla wagon
77 Posts
Ranex said:
My last car had a weak horn, but I never got around to changing it...

lucky for me this one died on me, and the junker in our backyard was compatable and an easy "bolt on". :)
Yeah, there's "bolt ons" and then there's "bolt ons". The horn in my '81 Corolla was making sounds like a sick duck. OK for not giving grannies heart-attacks but not cutting it to actually let somebody know I'm there. I bought a horn in an autoparts store and it took me about 3 hours of solid work to install the thing. Getting the old one out of the space it was in was like one of those 3-D puzzles you buy. I almost thought I'd have to pull off the front bumper ( bet when they installed it they screwed it on, put a wiring harness on top of it, and then put on the bumper). Then I had to cut off the special Toyota connector and splice on new fittings with extra wire because the old horn had leads that just perfectly met the needs of the old horn. THEN I had to fit in back onto the front of the car. There was absolutely no way this was going to go into the space the old one was in. The volume of the things is about the same as the old horn, but the dimensions aren't and it was like reassembling the 3D puzzle with a part from another puzzle. I found a lovely spot for the horn and was feeling great, then realized that the turn indicator (that I had pulled off to get access to the horn bolt) needed to be reinstalled in that lovely spot.:hammer: In the end I managed to smoosh everything together, but I'm concerned that the horn, which is spiral and would only mount in one orientation because of the smoosh, will get salt slush trapped it and rust out in a year. At least until then I'll be giving grannies heart attacks.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts