Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

i've owned my stock 92 v6 auto for almost 5 years, and i recently started thinking about doing some light mods that would bump HP from stock 185 to around 195-200hp.

any ideas would be appreciated.

btw, anyone use the FRAM air hog filter?? does that produce any gains?

thanks,
-fox

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
You won't hit 200hp easily. You have to spend some money somewhere unless you have some awsome hookups.

Here's the order I'd do it in.
1) Cut the bottom of your airbox out, and use a K&N air filter. That gives a nice intake sound, and unlike any CAI's ever built or bought, won't give less hp than the stock setup does.
2) Continuing down the intake track, you should take the entire top intake off and clean the inside from the throttle body, down through the runners.
*Note*
This needs to be done 2-3 times every year, unless you block both of the EGR ports (Exhaust gas recirculation) going into the intake, right after the throttle body.
^^^
This WILL NOT give you horsepower above stock. It WILL give you stock horsepower. By it being dirty, you loose horsepower.
3) There are no headers, or Y-pipes made for our engine. The good news is that we DO NOT need headers. The stock manifolds are not high class, but they do work better than most.
You do not need 3" pipe so I suggest avoiding that.
A muffler should free up 2-5hp on the stock pipes.

This is how *I* would do an exhaust setup...
The largest restriction in our exhaust is where the downpipes merge. Have someone, or a good shop custom weld you a real Y-Pipe, install a high flow cat and a good muffler at one time.

This should put you at 200hp.

A different route would be do step 1 from above.
2) $400 Head port & polished
3) $250 SMT-5 programmable tuner.

The programmable tuner will net you 200hp on it's own while the P&P gains could be major (al la MCE) or nothing (If the shop sucks)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks toys,

those ideas sound good.

any experience with the air hog from fram?

also, where did you order/get your KN??

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
I don't know anyone with an AirHog. I got my K&N in an Autozone, or Advanced autoparts. I forget. It was like $45 or so. However, Ebay is always cheaper.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Car parts named after a pig = :thumbdown

Pigs are sloooowww

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
A CAI will gain you power, contrary to what was said, however a RAM-intake will lose you power. Stock intakes run a couple inches away from the radiator, which will give you decrease air density.

Swiss-cheesing the stock intake will lose efficiency since you're turning your warm-CAI into a RAM intake. You'll get a cool sound but lose power (perhaps not significantly).

You can try what you'd like though.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
^ Fortunately the air is picked up above the side of the transmission, which has a ton of space around it and any movement of the car will provide nothing but cool air so there will be no power loss.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm...anyone have dyno tests that prove/disprove either scenario? i.e. cai vs stock airbox cutout

1 - 10 of 10 Posts