Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always change my own oil on every single car ...

I wanted to change oil the first time at 1-2k miles, but I called up 3 different Toyota dealership, they all insist that I change at 5k, so my car could break in properly, so I waited ...

So, at 4.6k miles, I changed my oil 2 weeks ago, and noticed the oil extremely dark, and the filter is totally dark ... I used to own an Eclipse 96 that I change oil myself all the time, and my dad's Murano and 7-Series, but none have I seen such air-filter and oil this dark ...

Is it normal at all? Or should I be worrying?

My car is at 6k miles now ... I put in 1.5k miles since I changed oil 2 weeks ago ... car was purchased 12-31-07 for an 08 Camry V6 LE ...

I got Mobil 1 Full Synthetic now ... I'm still thinking if I should change at 5k intervals, or sooner ... hate to see those dark burnt oil running through my engine ... which I hope would be running just like new past 100-200k miles ... as I'm averaging 5k miles a month, easily hit that range in less than 2 years ...

·
Registered
2007 Camry
68 Posts
I did my first oil change at 1k with conventional oil to get out all the metals and stuff inside during the initial phase of break in. Then did another change at 5k with synthetic.

I don't remember how dark the oil was though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sigh ... I'm kinda pissed now ... coz Longo Toyota told me there's no break-in required ... all Toyota are factory break-in'ed ...

Sigh ... wished I had changed em' when I was at 1-2k miles ...

·
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
Everything seems normal to me. There is no such thing as "break in oil".

Even when using synthetic oil, you should follow the manufacturer's recommended service intervals (5,000 miles).

I assume that you rotated your tires also as the manufacturer recommends...

This topic has been covered several times, and a search would have provided you with the information that you needed without starting ANOTHER thread.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeps, I rotated the tires slightly past 5k miles ... at my friend's place where he had jack stands ... :)

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
I also waited until 5K miles as thats what the manual and the tech's told me about the 2007 Camry.

·
Sedan Life
2003 Lexus ES300
5,115 Posts
i personally adhere to the old school 3k mile intervals with my 2003 SE
i also use full synthetic mobil 1 5w30 and a toyota oil filter as well
5k intervals are reccomended by toyota, so id either go with a 3-5k interval between oil and filter changes....

·
Blue Ribbon FTW!
'07 Camry LE
697 Posts
I did my first change at 1k. Then I started the regular schedule at 5k. I used Mobil1 right from the first change.

·
Blue Ribbon FTW!
'07 Camry LE
697 Posts
I'm just using the recommended oil that the dealer uses. We shall see whos car lasts longer :naughty:
I have 7500 miles right now. I drive about 30-35k a year.

·
Registered
1997 4Runner
33 Posts
I change the oil on a new car at 1,000 miles and then every 3,000 miles. I use coventional motor oil, no synthetic (Overpriced) IMO. I did that with my 1997 4Runner and no problems at 120,000 miles and counting and I followed the same rule with my wifes 2003 Maxima, no problems.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I know of a guy that bought a Maxima brand new. Drove it over 100000 miles without changing the oil. When he pulled the oil drain plug, nothing would come out. They poured in a quart of automatic transmission fluid, drove it around a bit and the oil finally came out. Installed a new oil filter and the car runs fine. No problems at all. Does this make what he did right? Just follow the scheduled maintenance items and you should be fine, and you warranty will be valid too. If you want to change sooner, its your choice. I don't see any harm in it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts