Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my oil for the first time today and was wondering if anyone else noticed how yellow their oil was? Ive never seen used oil look so bright yellow and I dont mean like a clean gold color. Got some on my hand and my hand looked like I had yellow food coloring on it. Is that how the Toyota oil looks or is this some kind of "break in" oil?

·
Registered
378 Posts
New to me, usually "milky looking" oil is a sign of coolant in the oil, but I've never seen yellow. I'll be doing my first soon. I'm intrigued.

·
Tacoholic
343 Posts
Mine wasn't. It was regular dirty oil color, but since I changed it at 1200 miles, it wasn't super black. It was more like really dark brown.

·
Givin' the dog a bone
Tacoma
125 Posts
I just did my first oil change today @ 3,200 miles and it came out yellow/orange color.

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rpmspeedyBlue said:
Yeah the yellow color is the color of clean oil. Save it and use it for your lawn mower the oil is still good. Most oils are that color. It will eventually turn black after so many miles.
Its not the color of normal clean oil at least not any Ive ever looked at. Any clean oil Ive ever looked at is gold colored, this oil was yellowish or orange.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Maybe Toyota puts a coating of light grease on the internal parts of the engine, and this yellowish color is just the grease washing out.

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Count said:
Maybe Toyota puts a coating of light grease on the internal parts of the engine, and this yellowish color is just the grease washing out.
I was thinking the same thing, that it may be the grease they put on the bearings during engine assembly.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Mine was black, like coffee.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Cheap oil like Pennzoil is very yellow.

My favorite is Valvoline. It's only a little yellow but outstanding oil. (If you oil if completely black when changing, you waited to long to change it...it should still have some yellowish to it....this doesn't apply to diesel engines, though.)

Boo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts