Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
Joined
·
8,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when did you had your oil changed on your new camry, the first 1000mi or 3000mi?
 

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
Joined
·
2,032 Posts
No need to have it replaced till the time it is due. 3000 is early enough. It's best to let the engine break in with its factory break in oil (which allows more wear) so you don't have problems in the future.
 

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
Joined
·
5,838 Posts
pimpin-tl said:
No need to have it replaced till the time it is due. 3000 is early enough. It's best to let the engine break in with its factory break in oil (which allows more wear) so you don't have problems in the future.
+1
I agreed with Pimpin-TL here. For my car, after the first oil change at 3000 miles I use Royal Purple Synthetic Oil. Synthetic is much better and more expensive than conventional oil. Just make sure you stay with one kind, don't go back and forth between the two type of oil.
The way I see, you take care of your outside car all the time so don't forget to give your engine the best stuff its derserve.
 

·
2007 Black XLE V6 Camry
Joined
·
422 Posts
I always do it at 1000 miles on brand new car, after the initial 1k break in cycle. From there oil change than 3k and transmission fluid every 9k.

But when i tried to change my transmission fluid at 1k for the initial, the dealer told me the new camry uses some special type of transmission fluid that you don't change until 100k. Either he is wacked or that is true. In either change I will change it once i reach 9k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Smilepak...the dealer is correct. The transmission fluid does not need to be changed at all until 100k and the coolant does not need to be changed until 156k or something like that. Toyota knows their cars and they have warrantied them with this change interval understanding so you should relax and trust in their extensive research and confidence in newer fluids.
 

·
2007 Black XLE V6 Camry
Joined
·
422 Posts
Cool...

Hmm, but that can't be good for the engine to even change at 100k is it? I mean oil is oil, doesn't it get dirty over time and lose it slick?

By the way, there was a post earlier about using Sync..

The dealer close to me uses Castrol blend. Charges 9.95 per bottle! Sheesh! Before I uses Mobile One on my accord all the time, I guess I wouldn't be going Sync with that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
The oil change def needs to be done before 100k. lol. He was referring to the 100k for the transmission fluid. Even the 5 gen camry's didnt need the flushes till 78000. But that is one reaso why Toyota and Honda for that matter, are at the top. Cuz they do things that make their cars more desirable. Last forever, look better, cheaper to maintain. And trustworthy. Unless you buy a Honda Element. That thing's just askin to get hit by a bus.
 

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
Joined
·
2,032 Posts
CanadianDad said:
Smilepak...the dealer is correct. The transmission fluid does not need to be changed at all until 100k and the coolant does not need to be changed until 156k or something like that. Toyota knows their cars and they have warrantied them with this change interval understanding so you should relax and trust in their extensive research and confidence in newer fluids.
I would never let the transmission fluid or coolant go longer than 30k. GM said the same thing and you would think they know their cars as well. Guess what, Coolant caused a lot of problems in GM cars with seals. Dexcool ate at the seals. You would think they know their cars as well.

Toyota like the sludge problem and wanted extended oil change intervals. They had a major issue and had to fix engines. Same type of scenerio.
 

·
Registered
Camry SE
Joined
·
167 Posts
pimpin-tl said:
I would never let the transmission fluid or coolant go longer than 30k. GM said the same thing and you would think they know their cars as well. Guess what, Coolant caused a lot of problems in GM cars with seals. Dexcool ate at the seals. You would think they know their cars as well.

Toyota like the sludge problem and wanted extended oil change intervals. They had a major issue and had to fix engines. Same type of scenerio.
I agree i do trans flush and all fluid flush every 30k miles. Trans is like the motor gotta change the oil to have it last. Yes its a toyota but i rather be safe.
 

·
Registered
Camry SE
Joined
·
167 Posts
pimpin-tl said:
I would never let the transmission fluid or coolant go longer than 30k. GM said the same thing and you would think they know their cars as well. Guess what, Coolant caused a lot of problems in GM cars with seals. Dexcool ate at the seals. You would think they know their cars as well.

Toyota like the sludge problem and wanted extended oil change intervals. They had a major issue and had to fix engines. Same type of scenerio.
I agree i do trans flush and all fluid flush every 30k miles. Trans is like the motor gotta change the oil to have it last. Yes its a toyota but i rather be safe.
 

·
Registered
Camry SE
Joined
·
167 Posts
pimpin-tl said:
I would never let the transmission fluid or coolant go longer than 30k. GM said the same thing and you would think they know their cars as well. Guess what, Coolant caused a lot of problems in GM cars with seals. Dexcool ate at the seals. You would think they know their cars as well.

Toyota like the sludge problem and wanted extended oil change intervals. They had a major issue and had to fix engines. Same type of scenerio.
I agree i do trans flush and all fluid flush every 30k miles. Trans is like the motor gotta change the oil to have it last. Yes its a toyota but i rather be safe.
 

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
Joined
·
8,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
in the maint blue book, it says you can go 100k before changing the coolant with the "super long life" coolant. didn't mention anything bout trans oil but i change em every 30k on my other cars.

so when can you switch to synthetic oil? a lot of people say right around 10k...?
 

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
Joined
·
2,032 Posts
The Super Long Life Coolant in the GM cars would not last. www.bobistheoilguy.com forums and you cna find out more info on tests done. It is not recommended to go longer than 30k on green maybe 50k on the super life.

The book doesn't mean everything. If you want your car to LAST a long time, do it at good intervals. 100k is for people who don't want maintenance all the time and save money. Also Toyota is here to make money, they don't want to lose money by you doing maintenance earlier and parts not going out.

You can switch to synthetic at 3k of miles. I wouldn't go sooner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,964 Posts
I went to synthetic oil at 1500 miles.
The changeover to synthetic oil can be done at any time.
As you may know many vehicles come from the factory with a synthetic fill.
No oil related break in is needed today.
 

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
Joined
·
8,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if toyota want your business why would they say u can go 100k on the coolant?

i thought u have to wait for the motor to broken in before switching to syn, isnt 3k kinda early? for the first change, which is which? some of u are saying 1k and 3k.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,964 Posts
Camread said:
if toyota want your business why would they say u can go 100k on the coolant?

i thought u have to wait for the motor to broken in before switching to syn, isnt 3k kinda early? for the first change, which is which? some of u are saying 1k and 3k.....

The changeover to synthetic oil can be done at any time.
As you may know many vehicles come from the factory with a synthetic fill.
No oil related break in is necessary for today's engines.
You can always do a changeover at say 3K miles if it makes you feel better.
 

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
Joined
·
8,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
but is the Camry factory-filled with synthetic? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,964 Posts
Camread said:
but is the Camry factory-filled with synthetic? :)

No it isn't.
Wait the 3K miles if it makes you feel better.
 

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
Joined
·
2,032 Posts
Joe B said:
I went to synthetic oil at 1500 miles.
The changeover to synthetic oil can be done at any time.
As you may know many vehicles come from the factory with a synthetic fill.
No oil related break in is needed today.
This is actually not true. Some vehicles from the factory with Synthetic. Corvette, EVO and mostly the performance ones. Most come with factory filled dino oil that is designed to help break in the engine. It's on BITOG forums.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top