Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am approaching 5000 miles on my '05 XRS and I was wondering, should i take it to the dealer and get the oil changed. they gave me a 'passport' and recommend using it to get more resale value later on....

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
Well, will the oil change be free with the passport? If it's not, just get it changed wherever (a respectable lube chain)..

:D

·
pseudo-systematic
176 Posts
if the oil change is free (or cheap) at the dealership, go for it. i have always thought that it doesnt matter where you get your oil changed, just as long as you get it changed when it is supposed to be.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
I wouldn't. Jack it up so you can DIY if you don't mind an hour including the time it takes to go buy a good synthetic oil...

As long as you have any type of documented proof of the maintinace, all warrenties must be enforced. (That's why they put a log book at the end of your car manual. I would keep recipets of all work/parts ever done also)

*edit*

One more thing, I would suggestion not only starting a good synthetic fluid, but on the car's THRID oil chang, take the spent motor oil somewhere for analisys. They can tell you about motor wear, and also how long of a time period you should change your oil at.

·
Registered
445 Posts
how do you send oil in for analysis? and where do you send it?

Also, after the 1st change i'd change it myself. If you do it yourself you save money, you can be SURE its done right (and that they actually put new oil in)

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
Fuck going to those lube places.. go to the dealer man.. I used to go to Mr Lube and after they screwed me around on my last oil change there, I decided to start going to the dealer. To my surprise the dealer is priced the same as Mr Lube, and its OEM parts of course. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts