Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 4x4 single cab. Only had for a short time now, but the check engine light is on. No big deal, but I was wondering if the only way to check the code it by taking it to AutoZone or someplace similar?

Also, I just killed my truck this weekend with some of the same problems that I saw others having with EFI fuses blowing. Now I gotta fix that problem and then take care of engine light.:lol:

One more, I just wanted to make sure that there are differences between the 89-95 2wd and 4wd fenders. I bought a front clip from a guy last night that said it was for a 89-95. I didn't ask what year, as I was told that they were the same. I noticed last night though that the corner lights are different on the fender (good thing I got those too). Anything else different?

Thanks for the help. Just learning the 4x4 ropes with my Yota.

P.S. Is my truck a Gen2?

·
Registered
1989 Pickup 4WD
586 Posts
Yeah, just take it to AutoZone, unless you buy yourself a code reader. Some are cheap, but then some go for upwards of $400. The difference in the fenders is that the 4x4 fenders pudge out more, they line up with the body, but the wheel well sticks out further.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
yes, a jumper wire for the diagnostic port (pay attention to th econnections you make, careful, careful), and all you nee dafter that is a list of the trouble codes. THe links provided should heave the lists, or a hayne manual, or a factory manual. Form there, it's troubleshooting time.

riv

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
theres a store on ebay that has really good prices on body parts, they are decent parts and ship fast. your fenders are bigger on a 4wd the 2wd fenders are wussy looking which is why i just ordered 4x4 fenders and the corner lenses. the corner lenses are almost exact opposites if you were to flip them upside down they look as if they would almost fit but im guessing they probabally wont. personally i like the 4x4 front clip better. the grilles are also different and most of the 4x4's have a 3 piece grille/ headlight bucket setup, the bumpers are also a bit different. the 4x4 fenders will work with the 2wd grille and vice versa just use the corners for the type of fender. also the inner fender on your 4wd is bigger than a 2wd. if you decide to go with the 2wd front ill trade you my inner fenders for yours. i know dave did the conversion from 2wd fenders to 4wd he could shed som light on the subject also. oh yea and welcome to the forum bro!
:banger: :rockon: :woot:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Thanks for the help on the codes. Gonna check it tomorrow hopefully.

I can't complain on the 2wd fenders not having as much flare. I got a whole front clip from a 2wd for $75. The guy cut from the firewall and gave me everything in between, minus the engine. Great price for what I got.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts