Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally did it. I went out and bought a 1989 toyota 4wd pickup with the v6 3.0.
After owning a fullsize Chevy for years I am IN LOVE..... This is the truck I ALWAYS wanted.
but my knowledge of this vehicle is EXTREMELY LIMITED. I am running 33x12.5's with a 3" body. I have been reading your posts about surging idle and other notorious problems and am wondering what should i be looking for with this particular truck. I want to make it better stronger and faster, and I think you are the people that can help me with this. by the way KILLER SITE... Everyone seems great and theamount of knowledge in here seems almost scary...in a good way.
Thanks for any and all help and I apologize for babbaling I am just excited.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
The first thing you should do, and you probaby already read this, is get a manual. The Toyota FSM is the best one if you can afford it but the Haynes and Chilton manuals are very good too.

It seems that these things were meant to be wrenched on by regular people with regular tools instead of four armed, double jointed, contortionists with a million dollars worth of specialty tools. As a result, the manuals spell out nearly EVERYTHING.

Although I don't have any specific knowledge of the 3.0, I do know they are a bit tougher to work on than the 22R/RE. Still nothing compared to other vehicles I've had the pleasure of working on. Try a V-6 Fiero or a V-6 Chrylser Sebring convertible. Two vehicles I would never own if you gave them to me.

I am also a former Chevy truck owner. My last one was a K2500, extended cab with an 8' bed. It was more like a bus than a truck. It was way more comfortable and would haul a lot more than my Yota but it wasn't nearly as fun and it got a whopping 11 MPG. Plus I don't have to back the Yota into every place I park.

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Xaotic_89, that's the same truck I got (except for the 33's and the lift). How much rust is eating at it? Where in NY?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Max, I already have a Haynes and will look into the FSM. I have recently welded up an exhaust and am trying to decide where to go next. The truck is mechanically pretty solid. I drive it EVERYDAY, maybe a clutch in the not so distant future. I experience the surging idle from time to time and will begin looking into the thermostat (if i read corretly that seems to be the problem or one of???).
I would like to prep it for some spring mud play. any advice on shocks mine are old and stiff...
silvers,
Not much rust at all. The guy I bought it from changed the bed out 6 years ago and drove it very little. I will get some pics up soon. I am in upsatate new york about 1 hr north of Albany. Lake George.
any advice on suspension what are you running ? are they soft or what?
thanks guys

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry its so big I am not on my computer. I was thinking of a big 01 on the door???

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Welcome! DUDE! That is a GREAT looking truck!:D

1. Get your clutch from martincrawler.com. They are awesome.
2. Take your VIN to Toyota & see if a head gasket recall was done.
3. Find out when the last timing belt was replaced. If more than 80,000 miles, replace timing belt. There's lots of great thread on how to do this.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks TNRabbit, you would sheeet yourself if I told you what i paid:D
martincrawler seems like a dead link.
I am interested in upgraping my shocks. I plan on doing daily on road driveingbut I WILL be making MANY excursions into the dirt, rocks, mud, etc... Is there a "gemeral purpose" performance oriented shock? I had ranch rs 5000 on a old cj7 and loved them. any suggestions?????
I will check on the recall thanks for the info...I LOVE THIS SITE......

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called my local dealer and they said the only recall for this truck is the steering center link. no headgasket?...
Is that right? Anyone with shock sugestions?????

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
oculd be the head gasket recall was already done, and most dealerships now will not even think of bothering if it has not been done (these are 14-18 year old trucks by now).

Shocks, good subject, stay away from procomps. If you hacve the stock suspension, I would go either KYB or Bilstein (if the $$ permits). When I was stock height, I loved my KYB's. but now I run Skyjackers. (procomps too stiff).

Check the linky's at the head of this section for FSM's :)

Any other questions :)

Long Live the 3VZE (well, with life support at least)....

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
shaeff said:
it's not marTin crawler, it's www.marlincrawler.com ;) and yes, marlin's stuff is excellent.

-shaeff
TNRabbit = BrainDeadFart... i KNEW that...:confused:

I highly recommend Bilstein shocks. They are fantastic & will outlast just about anything you can find. ProBuilder will eventually come in here and tell you that KYB Gas-A-Just are the best value for $$$...I can't dispute that because I have never used 'em...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys I will start doing the research and let you know what i decide but keep the info coming at this rate I will be upgrading more than driving...Thats good AND bad...

·
www.bodybuilding.com
254 Posts
Nice truck man! Welcome to the site as well

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks ToyBox... I am thinking of changing the paint?.?.?.
or maybe go "General Lee" with it....we"ll see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts