Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Highlander platinum
38 Posts
I'm using the FitCamX for the front & would have loved to use FitCamX for the rear as well but I don't think one was available. I'm currently using a Rove 4k in the rear but it's not as inconspicuous as I would like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those in the market for a 4K dash cam, I recently made a video documenting my experience installing this in my Highlander. I've read reviews from other Platinum owners that the small case cover at the top did not fit with the additional wires from the digital rear view camera. I brang this concern to the seller and am happy to inform others that the company has since created a new cover that allows for extra clearance by snipping off a removable plastic piece along with an update that they have their own dedicated app now.

I will admit that initially finding space to cram the wiring harness was a pain in the *ss that took me 2 hours to figure out but I found a way to tuck them in to make it work. Let my pain be your gain!

Thank you for the great video, @KambientRE ! It helped me with the installation.

Just wondering: did you notice any downsides when using a 128GB card?

Their website is ambiguous about this: “128GB(128GB Can Only View Video On The PC, And The Maximum Support For Mobile APP View Video Is 64GB)” - what does this even mean? That half the videos won’t be playable on mobile app when the card fills up? I tried the playback from mobile app and it seemed to be working fine, but the card was almost empty.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,929 Posts
Their website is ambiguous about this: “128GB(128GB Can Only View Video On The PC, And The Maximum Support For Mobile APP View Video Is 64GB)” - what does this even mean? That half the videos won’t be playable on mobile app when the card fills up? I tried the playback from mobile app and it seemed to be working fine, but the card was almost empty.
Thinkware claims to support only 128gb and recommends using only a Thinkware chip.
I'm running Samsung EVO 512s in both of our U1000s and they work just fine after formatting in the camera.

The documentation typically only lists support for products that they have actually tested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thinkware claims to support only 128gb and recommends using only a Thinkware chip.
I'm running Samsung EVO 512s in both of our U1000s and they work just fine after formatting in the camera.

The documentation typically only lists support for products that they have actually tested.
Thank you for the inputs. I see the pattern…

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Limited AWD
135 Posts
Pretty expensive dashcam. Are they worth it?

Besides having a very "clean" install and final appearance, how do they compare to other dashcams on the market? I've found that dashcams only last a few years at most. So, I usually get cheap (but highly rated) dashcams for $50 or less since I've had to replace them every 2-3 yrs.

I usually just put them behind the driver sun visor near the top of the windshield next to my Fastrak tag. I usually have the sun visor down too. So, I almost never see the dash cam.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,929 Posts
Pretty expensive dashcam. Are they worth it?
$500 deductible saved, no increase in insurance rates, AAA applied fault to the other party and agreed to process a total loss on my Corolla within 24 hours.

Ya... $1000 would be worth it.
The FitcamX is less than $200, not even close to "pretty expensive" as dashcams go.
My Thinkware U1000 was on sale for $400, normally goes for $500
Blackvue, which is another premium product is $400+

Anything under $150 is going to be useful, but won't do well at providing a license plate in the event of a hit and run.

Dashcams are not something you want to cheap out on.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been running this in my 2022 Camry since about Christmas. Install was pretty straight forward. I connected to it via wi-fi and ran a few initial tests. Seemed to work fine. Took a few pics downloaded a clip etc. Then I disconnected the wi-fi so I could use cellular to use a GPS app or access the internet. I reconnected recently to view some clips and see if the cam was functioning correctly. There are a few new clips on there, but about 95% of my drives are not recorded. I don't know what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to leave my phone always connected to it via wifi when I'm driving so that it records? That doesn't seem normal. I really don't want a camera that isn't consistent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
$500 deductible saved, no increase in insurance rates, AAA applied fault to the other party and agreed to process a total loss on my Corolla within 24 hours.

Ya... $1000 would be worth it.
The FitcamX is less than $200, not even close to "pretty expensive" as dashcams go.
My Thinkware U1000 was on sale for $400, normally goes for $500
Blackvue, which is another premium product is $400+

Anything under $150 is going to be useful, but won't do well at providing a license plate in the event of a hit and run.

Dashcams are not something you want to cheap out on.

View attachment 365593
I can confirm your words, I also was in the situation when dashcam saved me a lot of money and nerves. I've used only BlackVue in all my cars, but I can see that Thinkware U1000 gives better quality. Now I'm looking for the new dashcam. License plates are much more readable on U1000. May I ask you if you had any problems with the camera? Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only the front cam on this one.

I used a dremel to drill two holes just above the cam portion of the fitcamx…then screwed in the two long screws to mount it to the plastic housing…then used a cutting disc on the dremel to trim down the screws since there’s not a lot of clearance with the vehicle’s camera…
Brilliant!!! I cannot use Blendmount on Platinum trim due to camera mirror and the shape of the stem.
Thanks for the idea.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,929 Posts
I can confirm your words, I also was in the situation when dashcam saved me a lot of money and nerves. I've used only BlackVue in all my cars, but I can see that Thinkware U1000 gives better quality. Now I'm looking for the new dashcam. License plates are much more readable on U1000. May I ask you if you had any problems with the camera? Thanks.
So far, no issues at all with mine.
I can't seem to connect my wife's to the cloud... probably need to reinitialize it.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I've been running this in my 2022 Camry since about Christmas. Install was pretty straight forward. I connected to it via wi-fi and ran a few initial tests. Seemed to work fine. Took a few pics downloaded a clip etc. Then I disconnected the wi-fi so I could use cellular to use a GPS app or access the internet. I reconnected recently to view some clips and see if the cam was functioning correctly. There are a few new clips on there, but about 95% of my drives are not recorded. I don't know what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to leave my phone always connected to it via wifi when I'm driving so that it records? That doesn't seem normal. I really don't want a camera that isn't consistent.
The Fitcamx only needs to be connected to an internet connection when you're attempting to view footage or download footage otherwise, 95% of the time, it's just recording on a continuous loop. If you're having issues with consistency, I'd try reformating the SD card from the app. Also try using a high endurance card rated for extreme cold/hot temps as the card can get hot. Another thing the instruction manual mentioned is using a card no higher than 64GB otherwise it can only be viewed from a computer. I've had no issues with mine so far.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,929 Posts
Do you record if the car is parked?
It means that it is useful in the event of sleep and when approaching the car to try to steal, it is recorded
Some cameras can do that.
The Thinkware U1000 has an optional radar module that "wakes" the camera when triggered. If there is no impact, the camera goes back to sleep without recording anything. If there is an impact (something as slight as opening a door), then it records the incident.
Without radar, you are limited to time-lapse, or record-on-impact, but the problem with that is it takes a second or two for the camera to wake up, so you may not actually record the impact if someone backs into your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you record if the car is parked?
It means that it is useful in the event of sleep and when approaching the car to try to steal, it is recorded
I have Blackvue and it can record when it parked, camera goes in park mode after 2-3 min of the car parked.

BUT: it drains car battery and you need an extra battery. It cuts the recording when car (extra) battery drains below 11.8 volt. Even with extra battery it lasts 3-4 hours max.

The best idea is the radar. This radar starts the recording when someone approaches you car. This is available only with Thinkware U1000. Since Thinkware U1000 gives much better quality it be my next camera on my upcoming Highlander.
Here is the excellent comparison of the top dadhcams:

He also had Blackvue and Thinkware reviews.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
1,641 Posts
Finally ordered one and installed it. But I ran the wires a little different and resorted to using a cable tie to assist me

the top cover, the center part broke off allowing me to finally to fit the cover and had to trim down the 2 legs to make install angle easier

so, you see some wiring from underneath
Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

But it doesn’t bother me since you can’t see it unless you try to look

and here’s a driving video clip

21 - 39 of 39 Posts