Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im in to middle of my swap and have ran into some hurdles with the ae111 6-speed tranny. there is various info around regarding this but no pictures. so here is what need to be done.

heres the difference between the old c52 mount plate and the c160 bolt pattern. notice the c160 plate bolt holes does not even line up.

!!!!IMPORTANT YOU READ THIS PART!!!!!
as far as which clutch fork to use i 1st started out with the 200mm clutch setup and fork (c52 hardware). due to act's cheap release bearing design it would not sit right and sometimes allow the fork to beome slanted thus causing the slave cylinder to push at a slant. this cause the clutch to not engage properly or should i say release fully. instead what i found worked was to just use the fork that came with the c160 do not do anything here. the proper release bearing that will work here is a release bearing for a 7afe

if your planning on modifying the old c52 plate you'll want to grind down the section on the shift fork that is by the bolt to the bottom. this will be in the way of the welded nut on the c52 plate. grind down then ridge on the red section.

while your doing the clutch anyway it might be a smart idea to take the tranny and mount it in so you can find what you need to modify.

the c160 fits in perfect and there is no need to cut anything frame wise.

you'll also have to swap out the clucth slave because the 6-speed one is a couple inches to short.

here's how the mounting plate will look like after you modify it. ugly....

simply put huge washers and tons of lock tight....

also this is kinda a hack job but you will need to modify the shifter base so that you can go into reverse.

you can choose to modify the plate or take some carbard and do some cut outs so a weld fab shop can custom make you one.
more to come.

i reedited this page as of dec 24 2009. due to the format changing on cardomain. which is where all these pics are hosted. i did not realize that the old pics did not work. i just moved some stuff around.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
Nice work, this one will become a sticky. :bukkake: :D

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
heres more to the steps. i find it best to use anitseeze as a marker to fine these holes. first put some masking tape (4-6 layers) on the bottom of the plate and bolt it onto the engine mount (not yet the tranny) then anti seeze on the tranny holes remember they are not touching yet. then you use a jack and jack up the tranny so it hits the mount (remeber the mount is in place just not bolted on the tranny) this will give you holes as a guideline to drill. however before you can do this step you'll already have needed to complete grinding metal off of the shift levers on the tranny (the last pic shown on the fist post i did). if not the plate will not sit right.
this is what the plate should look like after the holes are drilled.

make sure you use longer bolts (left overs from the old engine parts) and a big washer for this part. i've even gone for far as to use thread lock (blue) on it.
this is the finished product.
as far as the shifting goes your stock shift linkages work, but to clear reverse you'll need to modify the shifter base. firstly the base is of 2 parts a casted (heavy) pieace where the shifter bolts to and the bottom of that where it bolts to the car. take the top half of and grind under it at an angle. this part is trial and error because i really can't tell you how much to grind of. you'll have to keep grinding and refitting untill it clears or is right. next the mounting base is the cut one little section where the passenger side linkage sites. when you test mount the shifter you'll notice if you go left to try and get into R the passenger side cable will hit the mount plate. this is because it is now traveling a farther distance that what it was orignially designed for. the last step is to cut a hole on the passenger side for the sifter to clear such as in this picture.
just a hole be mindful to to cut it out. also everthing in these speps are exsagerated even more for a TRD short shifter. more grinding bigger hole. reason why i know is because i mod it to work for the stock shifter. then i had to mod it even more when my TRD shifter came in.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some new info!!! to use the ae111 (c160) larger clutch fork a 7a-fe release bearing will work with it.

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
ha! moving this one to the AE92 section. :yikes:

·
I don't hate C3H8
763 Posts
Eeek anyone else have trouble seeing the pictures?

im in to middle of my swap and have ran into some hurdles with the ae111 6-speed tranny. there is various info around regarding this but no pictures. so here is what need to be done.

heres the difference between the old c52 mount plate and the c160 bolt pattern.

if your planning on using the older 200mm c52 clucth and flywheel combo weather oem or aftermarket. you'll need to use the c52 fork and the knob it levers on. the c160 fork will not work with the 200mm c52 thrust bearing. on the c160 its a 19mm to remove and on the c52 its 17mm.

while your doing the clutch anyway it might be a smart idea to take the tranny and mount it in so you can find what you need to modify.

the c160 fits in perfect and there is no need to cut anything mounting wise.

you'll also have to swap out the clucth slave because the 6-speed one is a couple inches to short.

here's how the old plate lines up before modifying.

if your planning on modifying the old c52 plate you'll want to grind down the section on the shift fork that is by the bolt to the bottom. this will be in the way of the welded nut on the c52 plate.

you can choose to modify the plate or take some carbard and do some cut outs so a weld fab shop can custom make you one.
more to come.

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
yeah, they're gone :yikes: that sucks.

·
I don't hate C3H8
763 Posts
Thanks Marc I have gone and read your web a few times.

Has anyone actually swapped a C60?

I hear the axles are diffeerent, what axles can be swapped in?

I'm so frustrated, my c52 is worn enough I do not want to put it back together and install it it would just take too many parts. I have an E51 but no axles, haven't been able to source them for over a year - if anyone has some .. I'm buying.

A C160 is near impossible to get and the C60's reportedly need different axles.

GAH! :eek:

·
Thailand is AWESOME!
86 AW11
11 Posts
Thanks Marc I have gone and read your web a few times.

Has anyone actually swapped a C60?

I hear the axles are diffeerent, what axles can be swapped in?

I'm so frustrated, my c52 is worn enough I do not want to put it back together and install it it would just take too many parts. I have an E51 but no axles, haven't been able to source them for over a year - if anyone has some .. I'm buying.

A C160 is near impossible to get and the C60's reportedly need different axles.

GAH! :eek:
Have you done any searching on www.mr2oc.com ? PapoJ there has done a C60 conversion using a C50 bellhousing. I have a link to the page at work - I'll try to post it for you tomorrow.

·
I don't hate C3H8
763 Posts
Have you done any searching on www.mr2oc.com ? PapoJ there has done a C60 conversion using a C50 bellhousing. I have a link to the page at work - I'll try to post it for you tomorrow.
Thanks, I think I have already read that, but more links help the thread and the rest of the members. The transmission I can work on. It is the axles that worry me.
Anyone know who this guy is ...?
http://www.brokenvaporware.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1303
http://www.brokenvaporware.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=slideshow.Slideshow&g2_itemId=1303
It seems he swapped the celica axle into the f16, but it is all pictures and little text.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yikes didnt realize cardomain changed how they host pics. ill repost the pics or rehost it somehow

·
Registered
226 Posts
as far as which clutch fork to use i 1st started out with the 200mm clutch setup and fork (c52 hardware). due to act's cheap release bearing design it would not sit right and sometimes allow the fork to beome slanted thus causing the slave cylinder to push at a slant. this cause the clutch to not engage properly or should i say release fully. instead what i found worked was to just use the fork that came with the c160 do not do anything here. the proper release bearing that will work here is a release bearing for a 7afe

So basically use the fork off of the c160? Or do I need the one off the 7afe?

·
Registered
112 Posts
looking for a c160

great post but my question is where can i get ahold of a c160 without having to buy it with a whole 20v setup and how much would one run me?

·
Registered
226 Posts
from the c160 thread in ae92

This is part of what the "rydzz" guy put for part of the modifications for putting a c160 into a ae92. Do i need the bearing from the 7afe and if so where can i get one? Or am I fine wiht just not doing anything and using the fork off the c160.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
you can get the release bearing from the dealer. if your using the c160 its best to use the fork that came with that tranny (larger fork). i said 7afe because that was what i used, im not sure if the later 90-91 smallport 4age uses the same fork, since it uses the larger 212mm flywheel. remember use same clutch flywheel combo if 200mm flywheel use 200mm clutch. so same years, or you might have problems.

also the reason the smaller fork and bearing doesnt work so well is that when you drive the tourqe will cause the fork to shift sideways. this will make your slave cylinder not engage the clutch all the way. you will end up grinding gears. this was my problem it could also be due to the cheap act release bearing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts