Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hazard flasher works but my turn signals do not. Fuses are ok. I think hazard and turn signal uses same flasher relay. Could a bad flasher relay allow the hazard to work but nor turn signals? Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My hazard flasher works but my turn signals do not. Fuses are ok. I think hazard and turn signal uses same flasher relay. Could a bad flasher relay allow the hazard to work but nor turn signals? Thanks.
I bit the bullet and pulled the flasher. It checks out fine. After I put everything back, turn signals worked again. Must be a short somewhere. I'll check switch next.

·
You asked for it...
425 Posts
All you did was remove the flasher, check it, and then put it back - and then the signals started working? If yes, I wouldn't totally write off the flasher as being the problem yet. It could have an intermittent problem.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
All you did was remove the flasher, check it, and then put it back - and then the signals started working? If yes, I wouldn't totally write off the flasher as being the problem yet. It could have an intermittent problem.
Right, it is has to be fixed. I did nothing to make it start working. It stopped working the first time Christmas Eve. It definitely has a bad contact in the switch. I can get a new factory switch for $80 delivered but I will inspect the old one first.

I am quite sure flasher is ok because hazard flashers worked fine when turn signals did not. I thought perhaps hazard had its own flasher but it does not.

BTW, I was surprised how few people know where the flasher is and how much bad info is out there on the net. You do not have to remove the parking brake or all of the dash. It is not an easy job but would have been much easier had I not done so much extra work.

·
You asked for it...
425 Posts
BTW, I was surprised how few people know where the flasher is and how much bad info is out there on the net. You do not have to remove the parking brake or all of the dash. It is not an easy job but would have been much easier had I not done so much extra work.

That's true, I noticed that as well - any chance you could post that info in this thread along with a picture or two?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's true, I noticed that as well - any chance you could post that info in this thread along with a picture or two?
Too late for pics. Remove trim and plastic duct below steering wheel. With body contorted and head jammed against brake pedal, look straight up. I identified flasher by its pn. I also moved the Diagnostics port out of the way. Pry out with a long screwdriver because you can't get your hand in a position to pull hard enough. Of course I am a 67 yr old geezer. Maybe someone younger/stronger could do it. Replacing is awkward because there is a wire harness there. If I have to do it again I will superglue a paint stirrer to the back of th flasher to facilitate placement. Main point is if hazard flashers work no need to mess with flasher.

·
You asked for it...
425 Posts
...Remove trim and plastic duct below steering wheel. With body contorted and head jammed against brake pedal, look straight up. I identified flasher by its pn. I also moved the Diagnostics port out of the way. Pry out with a long screwdriver because you can't get your hand in a position to pull hard enough. Of course I am a 67 yr old geezer. Maybe someone younger/stronger could do it. Replacing is awkward because there is a wire harness there. If I have to do it again I will superglue a paint stirrer to the back of th flasher to facilitate placement. Main point is if hazard flashers work no need to mess with flasher.
Excellent - thanks for posting the procedure. But it makes my neck ache just thinking about it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent - thanks for posting the procedure. But it makes my neck ache just thinking about it.
Yes, but still much better than removing the top trim and instrument panel. It never, ever goes back right. My stomach muscles are still sore. At one point I got stuck and thought I would have to call my wife but I finally wiggled free. I should say I am a little guy at 5' 7" and 145lbs. A bigger person would have more difficulty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Artbuc,

I owe you a response on this because you helped me on my parking brake switch issue. I'm an electrical engineer when I don't work on Avalons.

Makers of automotive electrical hardware (at least during the era your Avalon and mine were built) rarely used precious metals like silver or gold on the mating surfaces of electrical parts for cost saving reasons. Tin was a common alternative. After a while tin grows an oxide layer that is insulating at very low voltages.

A likely explanation for your question "why does taking it apart and reassembling it make it work?" is that you scratch through the thin tin oxide layer by taking it apart. The oxide layer will grow back after time, and you'll take it apart again.

Yes, I agree that the flasher (like my e-brake switch) is in a difficult spot to reach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.